* [RFC] interface for outgoing packet
@ 2011-09-08  0:24 Viral Mehta
From: Viral Mehta @ 2011-09-08  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi All,

How reasonably I can assume that,

on whatever interface, I received the last packet
for a particular Socket Connection, the same interface will be
used to SEND the next packet for same socket connection?

I am collecting the logs on one of my test machines.
And it shows, I can assume all the time that "interface" which received packet
for some socket connection, the same will be used to send packet for
that connection

But, I am not sure if I am missing some scenarios
or setup (for e.g., bonding) where it can be wrong ?

It would be more help if some one can shed some light.
Viral Mehta

* Re: [RFC] interface for outgoing packet
@ 2011-09-08  6:09 ` Eric Dumazet
From: Eric Dumazet @ 2011-09-08  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Viral Mehta; +Cc: netdev

Le mercredi 07 septembre 2011 à 20:24 -0400, Viral Mehta a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> How reasonably I can assume that,
>
> on whatever interface, I received the last packet
> for a particular Socket Connection, the same interface will be
> used to SEND the next packet for same socket connection?

No

> I am collecting the logs on one of my test machines.
> And it shows, I can assume all the time that "interface" which received packet
> for some socket connection, the same will be used to send packet for
> that connection
>
> But, I am not sure if I am missing some scenarios
> or setup (for e.g., bonding) where it can be wrong ?
>
> It would be more help if some one can shed some light.

By default, a socket is not bound to one interface, so you cant assume
this.

Check SO_BINDTODEVICE socket option if you need it.