* [RFC] RDMA with Continuous Memory Allocator
@ 2021-07-09 10:24 Shunsuke Mie
From: Shunsuke Mie @ 2021-07-09 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma, Takanari Hayama

Hi all,

I tried to use Continuous Memory Allocator (CMA) allocated memory for
RDMA transfer buffer in userspace, but it failed.

For more details, an ibv_reg_mr() API fails when I pass an mmaped
memory region of allocated memory by the CMA. The reason why, a CMA
mmap function, __dma_mmap_from_coherent(), sets  VM_IO and VM_PFNMAP
to vma->vm_flags, and an ib_uverbs_reg_mr(), kernel function
corresponding to the ibv_reg_mr(), tries to pin the memory region but,
it becomes to fail. because VM_IO or VM_PFNMAP regions cannot be
pined. As a result, the ibv_reg_mr() returns an error.

I think the ib_umem_get() that is called in the ib_uverbs_reg_mr() and
pins memories needs some modifications to support RDMA transfer
to/from the CMA memory.

I’d like to know your comments, ideas, and other solution.

Thanks a lot,
Shunsuke.