* Need help in understanding how to submit a patch
@ 2021-11-16 21:15 Etienne Guillot
From: Etienne Guillot @ 2021-11-16 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I found a typo mistake in the french translation of git-gui.
I did read the instructions on this page
https://git-scm.com/docs/SubmittingPatches
but I still not sure where should I push the correction.

Thanks for your help

Etienne Guillot

* Re: Need help in understanding how to submit a patch
@ 2021-11-17 15:47 ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2021-11-17 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Etienne Guillot, git; +Cc: Pratyush Yadav

On 16/11/2021 21:15, Etienne Guillot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found a typo mistake in the french translation of git-gui.
> I did read the instructions on this page
> https://git-scm.com/docs/SubmittingPatches
> but I still not sure where should I push the correction.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Etienne Guillot
Hi Etienne

The Git Gui is managed by Pratyush Yadav (cc'd) and hosted at
https://github.com/prati0100/git-gui

Not sure what the latest is on contributing translations (not covered in
the GitHub Readme..).

Philip

* Re: Need help in understanding how to submit a patch
@ 2021-11-17 17:51   ` Pratyush Yadav
From: Pratyush Yadav @ 2021-11-17 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Oakley; +Cc: Etienne Guillot, git

Hi Etienne,

On 17/11/21 03:47PM, Philip Oakley wrote:
> On 16/11/2021 21:15, Etienne Guillot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found a typo mistake in the french translation of git-gui.
> > I did read the instructions on this page
> > https://git-scm.com/docs/SubmittingPatches
> > but I still not sure where should I push the correction.
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Etienne Guillot
> Hi Etienne
>
> The Git Gui is managed by Pratyush Yadav (cc'd) and hosted at
> https://github.com/prati0100/git-gui
>
> Not sure what the latest is on contributing translations (not covered in
> the GitHub Readme..).

I usually ask people to post patches on this mailing list and I review
them here. But I make an exception for translation changes since they
never get any reviews anyway.

So I am fine with either a Pull Request on GitHub or a patch on the
mailing list.

Pratyush Yadav

* Re: Need help in understanding how to submit a patch
@ 2021-11-17 17:54     ` Taylor Blau
From: Taylor Blau @ 2021-11-17 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiang Xin
  Cc: Pratyush Yadav, Philip Oakley, Etienne Guillot,
	Jean-Noël Avila, git

Jiang,

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:21:49PM +0530, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> Hi Etienne,
>
> On 17/11/21 03:47PM, Philip Oakley wrote:
> > On 16/11/2021 21:15, Etienne Guillot wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I found a typo mistake in the french translation of git-gui.
> > > I did read the instructions on this page
> > > https://git-scm.com/docs/SubmittingPatches
> > > but I still not sure where should I push the correction.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Etienne Guillot
> > Hi Etienne
> >
> > The Git Gui is managed by Pratyush Yadav (cc'd) and hosted at
> > https://github.com/prati0100/git-gui
> >
> > Not sure what the latest is on contributing translations (not covered in
> > the GitHub Readme..).
>
> I usually ask people to post patches on this mailing list and I review
> them here. But I make an exception for translation changes since they
> never get any reviews anyway.
>
> So I am fine with either a Pull Request on GitHub or a patch on the
> mailing list.

Since Pratyush is the maintainer, does the po/TEAMS file in your tree
need updating?

I'm not sure how up-to-date the file is in general, but the last commit
was made semi-recently back in August, so I assume that the entry for
the French translation is outdated.

Thanks,
Taylor

* Re: Need help in understanding how to submit a patch
@ 2021-11-18  1:13     ` Jiang Xin
From: Jiang Xin @ 2021-11-18  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pratyush Yadav; +Cc: Philip Oakley, Etienne Guillot, Git List, Taylor Blau

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 3:34 AM Pratyush Yadav <me@yadavpratyush.com> wrote:

> Hi Etienne,
>
> On 17/11/21 03:47PM, Philip Oakley wrote:
> > On 16/11/2021 21:15, Etienne Guillot wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I found a typo mistake in the french translation of git-gui.
> > > I did read the instructions on this page
> > > https://git-scm.com/docs/SubmittingPatches
> > > but I still not sure where should I push the correction.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Etienne Guillot
> > Hi Etienne
> >
> > The Git Gui is managed by Pratyush Yadav (cc'd) and hosted at
> > https://github.com/prati0100/git-gui
> >
> > Not sure what the latest is on contributing translations (not covered in
> > the GitHub Readme..).
>
> I usually ask people to post patches on this mailing list and I review
> them here. But I make an exception for translation changes since they
> never get any reviews anyway.
>
> So I am fine with either a Pull Request on GitHub or a patch on the
> mailing list.

For l10n of git project (not git-gui), different l10n teams use
different code review strategy, but at last all l10n team leaders will
send pull requests to "git-l10n/git-po" on GitHub. There are some sort
of code reviews for l10n and most of them are basically focused on
commit logs and typos. See:

    https://github.com/git-l10n/git-po/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed

Starting from the recent release cycle of git 2.34.0, l10n of git has
a CI workflow and the CI robot can give some review suggestions for
l10n contributions using a helper program.

    https://github.com/git-l10n/git-po/actions/workflows/l10n.yml?query=event%3Apull_request_target

The helper program can be rewrite to help l10n for git-gui project.

    https://github.com/git-l10n/git-po-helper

--
Jiang Xin

* Re: Need help in understanding how to submit a patch
@ 2021-11-18  1:37       ` Jiang Xin
From: Jiang Xin @ 2021-11-18  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylor Blau
  Cc: Pratyush Yadav, Philip Oakley, Etienne Guillot,
	Jean-Noël Avila, Git List

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:54 AM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:

> Jiang,
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:21:49PM +0530, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> > Hi Etienne,

> > > Hi Etienne
> > >
> > > The Git Gui is managed by Pratyush Yadav (cc'd) and hosted at
> > > https://github.com/prati0100/git-gui
> > >
> > > Not sure what the latest is on contributing translations (not covered in
> > > the GitHub Readme..).
> >
> > I usually ask people to post patches on this mailing list and I review
> > them here. But I make an exception for translation changes since they
> > never get any reviews anyway.
> >
> > So I am fine with either a Pull Request on GitHub or a patch on the
> > mailing list.
>
> Since Pratyush is the maintainer, does the po/TEAMS file in your tree
> need updating?

Git Gui is a standalone project with its own workflow. The file
"po/TEAMS" is only used for Git project, so I am a little confused how
to update this file?

> I'm not sure how up-to-date the file is in general, but the last commit
> was made semi-recently back in August, so I assume that the entry for
> the French translation is outdated.

French l10n team is led by Jean-Noël Avila, and is very active.

    git log --no-merges -- po/fr.po

L10n for git-gui are maintained by different people though.  Because
"git-gui" is merged into git using subtree merge strategy,  I cannot
find commit logs of "git-gui/po/fr.po" using the same command, and
have to find the original git-gui commit, and find commit logs from
"po/fr.po" (which is quite different file from "po/fr.po" of Git).

    git log 8a383db4b2 -- po/fr.po

--
Jiang Xin

* Re: Need help in understanding how to submit a patch
@ 2021-11-18  1:40         ` Taylor Blau
From: Taylor Blau @ 2021-11-18  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiang Xin
  Cc: Taylor Blau, Pratyush Yadav, Philip Oakley, Etienne Guillot,
	Jean-Noël Avila, Git List

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 09:37:57AM +0800, Jiang Xin wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:54 AM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:
> >
> > Jiang,
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:21:49PM +0530, Pratyush Yadav wrote:
> > > Hi Etienne,

> > > I usually ask people to post patches on this mailing list and I review
> > > them here. But I make an exception for translation changes since they
> > > never get any reviews anyway.
> > >
> > > So I am fine with either a Pull Request on GitHub or a patch on the
> > > mailing list.
> >
> > Since Pratyush is the maintainer, does the po/TEAMS file in your tree
> > need updating?
>
> Git Gui is a standalone project with its own workflow. The file
> "po/TEAMS" is only used for Git project, so I am a little confused how
> to update this file?

I misread Etienne's original message, I thought they were asking about
the French translation for Git, not git-gui.

> > I'm not sure how up-to-date the file is in general, but the last commit
> > was made semi-recently back in August, so I assume that the entry for
> > the French translation is outdated.
>
> French l10n team is led by Jean-Noël Avila, and is very active.
>
>     git log --no-merges -- po/fr.po
>
> L10n for git-gui are maintained by different people though.  Because
> "git-gui" is merged into git using subtree merge strategy,  I cannot
> find commit logs of "git-gui/po/fr.po" using the same command, and
> have to find the original git-gui commit, and find commit logs from
> "po/fr.po" (which is quite different file from "po/fr.po" of Git).
>
>     git log 8a383db4b2 -- po/fr.po

Yes, clearly no update is necessary here. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
Taylor

* Re: Need help in understanding how to submit a patch
@ 2021-11-18  1:52           ` Jiang Xin
From: Jiang Xin @ 2021-11-18  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylor Blau
  Cc: Pratyush Yadav, Philip Oakley, Etienne Guillot,
	Jean-Noël Avila, Git List

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 9:40 AM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 09:37:57AM +0800, Jiang Xin wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:54 AM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Jiang,

> > > Since Pratyush is the maintainer, does the po/TEAMS file in your tree
> > > need updating?
> >
> > Git Gui is a standalone project with its own workflow. The file
> > "po/TEAMS" is only used for Git project, so I am a little confused how
> > to update this file?
>
> I misread Etienne's original message, I thought they were asking about
> the French translation for Git, not git-gui.
>
> > > I'm not sure how up-to-date the file is in general, but the last commit
> > > was made semi-recently back in August, so I assume that the entry for
> > > the French translation is outdated.
> >
> > French l10n team is led by Jean-Noël Avila, and is very active.
> >
> >     git log --no-merges -- po/fr.po
> >
> > L10n for git-gui are maintained by different people though.  Because
> > "git-gui" is merged into git using subtree merge strategy,  I cannot
> > find commit logs of "git-gui/po/fr.po" using the same command, and
> > have to find the original git-gui commit, and find commit logs from
> > "po/fr.po" (which is quite different file from "po/fr.po" of Git).
> >
> >     git log 8a383db4b2 -- po/fr.po
>
> Yes, clearly no update is necessary here. Sorry for the confusion.

It's really easy to confuse. No problem.

BTW, what is the elegant way to find commit logs of a tree from a subtree merge?

I have to run git-log on "git-gui" to find the 2nd parent commit ID of
the subtree merge, and run git-log on it.

--
Jiang Xin

* Re: Need help in understanding how to submit a patch
@ 2021-11-18 21:54             ` Etienne Guillot
From: Etienne Guillot @ 2021-11-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiang Xin, Taylor Blau
  Cc: Pratyush Yadav, Philip Oakley, Etienne Guillot,
	Jean-Noël Avila, Git List

On 11/18/21 02:52, Jiang Xin wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 9:40 AM Taylor Blau <me@ttaylorr.com> wrote:

>>> Git Gui is a standalone project with its own workflow. The file
>>> "po/TEAMS" is only used for Git project, so I am a little confused how
>>> to update this file?
>>
>> I misread Etienne's original message, I thought they were asking about
>> the French translation for Git, not git-gui.

>>> French l10n team is led by Jean-Noël Avila, and is very active.
>>>
>>>      git log --no-merges -- po/fr.po
>>>
>>> L10n for git-gui are maintained by different people though.  Because
>>> "git-gui" is merged into git using subtree merge strategy,  I cannot
>>> find commit logs of "git-gui/po/fr.po" using the same command, and
>>> have to find the original git-gui commit, and find commit logs from
>>> "po/fr.po" (which is quite different file from "po/fr.po" of Git).
>>>
>>>      git log 8a383db4b2 -- po/fr.po
>>
>> Yes, clearly no update is necessary here. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> It's really easy to confuse. No problem.
>
> BTW, what is the elegant way to find commit logs of a tree from a subtree merge?
>
> I have to run git-log on "git-gui" to find the 2nd parent commit ID of
> the subtree merge, and run git-log on it.
>
> --
> Jiang Xin

Thank you everyone for your answers.
I choose the easy way and opened a pull request on github.

Etienne Guillot