* Video conferencing platform choice
@ 2021-04-20 17:21 Miguel Ojeda
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-04-20 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux; +Cc: Geert Stappers

Hi all,

Geert Stappers has suggested to use v1d30 instead of Google Meet for
the conferencing service (and he has kindly offered to foot the bill
too -- at least the initial one).

I will ask in the upcoming meeting about this, but for those that
cannot attend and/or may not want to join through the current service,
please let me know before Saturday if you have a preference between
those two (publicly or privately, but please Cc Geert).

Cheers,
Miguel

* Re: Video conferencing platform choice
@ 2021-04-20 17:25 ` comex .
       [not found] ` <CAFRnB2XSjvuOU4SxokN5R6171PhD83R6=pOiv=ksNe58TyMpmw@mail.gmail.com>
From: comex . @ 2021-04-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux, Geert Stappers

> On Apr 20, 2021, at 1:22 PM, Miguel Ojeda <miguel.ojeda.sandonis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Geert Stappers has suggested to use v1d30 instead of Google Meet for
> the conferencing service (and he has kindly offered to foot the bill
> too -- at least the initial one).

Hi,

What is v1d30?  Googling it does not bring up anything relevant-looking.

Thanks.

* Re: Video conferencing platform choice
@ 2021-04-20 17:32   ` Miguel Ojeda
From: Miguel Ojeda @ 2021-04-20 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comex .; +Cc: rust-for-linux, Geert Stappers

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 7:25 PM comex . <comexk@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is v1d30?  Googling it does not bring up anything relevant-looking.

Good question -- I have not used it. Geert, could you please give us
some details? Thank you!

@ 2021-04-20 19:29     ` Geert Stappers
From: Geert Stappers @ 2021-04-20 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda, comex .,
	Wedson Almeida Filho, rust-for-linux, Geert Stappers

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 07:32:39PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 7:25 PM comex . <comexk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What is v1d30?  Googling it does not bring up anything relevant-looking.
>
> Good question -- I have not used it.
>
> Geert, could you please give us some details? Thank you!

The server side software is Big Blue Button.
Documentation at https://docs.bigbluebutton.org/

People of v1d30, video vowels became numbers,
have video conferencing service as business model.
Their website is https://v1d30.net/

It is the user expirence I appreciate:
* Visit website
* Enter "Handle" or "Nick name"
* Continue    (no need for password or other account hassle)
* Check of your microfoon  (without bothering people in the "room")
* Entering the room
* Choice on using camera (no package deal with choosing micro phone)

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 06:35:22PM +0100, Wedson Almeida Filho wrote:
> Geert,
>
> Do you have specific concerns or just want to try something different?
> (I'm happy if you respond privately if you'd prefer.)
>
> If it's about having a google account,

Both "account" and "google account".

Account is pub versus club. Just going the pub, not first becoming
member before being allowed to enter the club.

Google account is "be one of billions". It makes me feel lost.

> I just tested it and you don't need one to join a session.

I'm happy to test it from my site of the Internet. My test setup
is from outside Google employee network, webbrowser without Google
account cookie.

My main reason for testing is to reproduce the account login
that I got at the previous Rust for Linux meeting at Google Meet.

I'm in UTC+2 and awake till 20:30 UTC for "login" test.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse

* Re: Video conferencing platform choice
@ 2021-04-20 19:50       ` Wedson Almeida Filho
From: Wedson Almeida Filho @ 2021-04-20 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Stappers; +Cc: Miguel Ojeda, comex ., rust-for-linux

I'm running a test session for the next 20min or so. If anyone else would like
to test, ping me and I'll share the address privately.

Cheers,
-Wedson

@ 2021-04-20 20:26 ` Josh Triplett
       [not found] ` <CAFRnB2XSjvuOU4SxokN5R6171PhD83R6=pOiv=ksNe58TyMpmw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Josh Triplett @ 2021-04-20 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel Ojeda; +Cc: rust-for-linux, Geert Stappers

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 07:21:31PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Geert Stappers has suggested to use v1d30 instead of Google Meet for
> the conferencing service (and he has kindly offered to foot the bill
> too -- at least the initial one).
>
> I will ask in the upcoming meeting about this, but for those that
> cannot attend and/or may not want to join through the current service,
> please let me know before Saturday if you have a preference between
> those two (publicly or privately, but please Cc Geert).

No objections either way. Looks like v1d30 uses Big Blue Button, which I
like; it works quite well. I'm happy with anything that's web-based and
doesn't require a proprietary client.

@ 2021-04-20 20:28   ` Geert Stappers
From: Geert Stappers @ 2021-04-20 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gaynor, Miguel Ojeda, rust-for-linux, Geert Stappers

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 03:36:02PM -0400, Alex Gaynor wrote:
> I would prefer to continue using Meet.
>
> From my perspective, we only have a limited number of innovation tokens (
> http://boringtechnology.club/). Trying to introduce Rust into the kernel is
> how we should spend our efforts; we have a working solution that we've used
> for a number of video calls, let's leave it as is and focus on the work.

Yes, focus on the work.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--