* Definitive Guide to the Xen Hypervisor
@ 2018-10-21 21:03 Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2018-10-21 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

How relevant is David Chisnall's book *Definitive Guide to the Xen
Hypervisor* now with regards to studying Xen's source code now ?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language Researcher,
Information Theorist, and amateur computer scientist.

* Re: Definitive Guide to the Xen Hypervisor
@ 2018-10-21 21:20 ` Razvan Cojocaru
From: Razvan Cojocaru @ 2018-10-21 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gray, xen-devel

On 10/22/18 12:03 AM, Aaron Gray wrote:
> How relevant is David Chisnall's book *Definitive Guide to the Xen
> Hypervisor* now with regards to studying Xen's source code now ?

FWIW, I've found it largely irrelevant. It's been published more than a
decade ago now, so that's fair enough.

I suppose it's interesting if you'd like to see where Xen began. It's
also the only book on Xen written for developers, so it's got that going
for it.

HTH,
Razvan

* Re: Definitive Guide to the Xen Hypervisor
@ 2018-10-21 21:47   ` Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2018-10-21 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rcojocaru; +Cc: xen-devel

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 at 22:20, Razvan Cojocaru <rcojocaru@bitdefender.com>
wrote:

> On 10/22/18 12:03 AM, Aaron Gray wrote:
> > How relevant is David Chisnall's book *Definitive Guide to the Xen
> > Hypervisor* now with regards to studying Xen's source code now ?
>
> FWIW, I've found it largely irrelevant. It's been published more than a
> decade ago now, so that's fair enough.

Thanks that verifies what I thought.

> I suppose it's interesting if you'd like to see where Xen began. It's
> also the only book on Xen written for developers, so it's got that going
> for it.

Where is the best place to start for getting a logical unit level overview
of the source code please ?

Regards,

Aaron
--

@ 2018-10-22  6:44     ` Razvan Cojocaru
From: Razvan Cojocaru @ 2018-10-22  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gray; +Cc: xen-devel

On 10/22/18 12:47 AM, Aaron Gray wrote:
> Where is the best place to start for getting a logical unit level
> overview of the source code please ?

There's some documentation under docs/ in the source code repo, there
are various recorded presentations from events such as the Xen Developer
Summit on YouTube, a Wiki (https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Main_Page), and
then of course reading the source code itself and working with the
xen-devel mailing list.

Others may be able to recommend other resources.