* how to know which cpu current process run
@ 2013-08-15 12:24 loody
From: loody @ 2013-08-15 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

hi all:
is there any shell command or tool can let me know which cpu current
process run on?

--
Thanks for your help

* how to know which cpu current process run
@ 2013-08-15 12:57 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2013-08-15 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 20:24:21 +0800, loody said:
> is there any shell command or tool can let me know which cpu current
> process run on?

Why are you trying to check from the shell?  What problem are you
trying to solve by knowing which CPU?

(The problem is that it's inherently *very* racy - the process could easily
get bounced across 2 or 3 different CPUs in the amount of time it takes
a shell command to check - and on large SGI UV boxes under sufficient memory
thrashing, it could bounce across 50 or 60 different cores while you check).

And checking the *current* process tells you even less than "checking the
process you care about" - because unless it's a shell builtin, when you
launch the command, it will quite possibly end up on some core other than
the one the shell is running on....
* how to know which cpu current process run
@ 2013-08-15 13:28   ` loody
From: loody @ 2013-08-15 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

hi Valdis:
Thanks for your kind reply :)
2013/8/15  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu>:
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 20:24:21 +0800, loody said:
>> is there any shell command or tool can let me know which cpu current
>> process run on?
>
> Why are you trying to check from the shell?  What problem are you
> trying to solve by knowing which CPU?
I adopt one sample code which uses sched_setaffinity to force user
program running on core#1, suppose my environment has core#0 and
core#1.

Theoretically, it is ONLY run on core#1.
When I use top, I cannot tell whether it runs on core#0 or core#1, so
I wrote this letter to ask help any tool checking what cpu this
program ran on.
i also attach my program for all your reference.

>And checking the *current* process tells you even less than "checking the
>process you care about" - because unless it's a shell builtin, when you
>launch the command, it will quite possibly end up on some core other than
>the one the shell is running on....

it seems I use wrong way to express what I need.
I need any tool to check whether the process I assigned to cpu with
sched_setaffinity  did work.