* [RFC] Translating "Hands-on Kernel Lab" to Sphinx; updating
@ 2021-11-10  5:45 Tim Orling
       [not found] ` <945b31d3-4a79-b38b-2832-58806c01bc84@bootlin.com>
From: Tim Orling @ 2021-11-10  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docs, Michael Opdenacker

In preparation for the Yocto Summit, I have begun translating the legacy
"Hands-on Kernel Lab" to Sphinx/ReStructuredText.

My WIP branch is
https://github.com/moto-timo/yocto-docs/tree/timo/kernel-lab

I will be updating/rebasing multiple times in the coming days. Do not
expect this repository to completely stabilize until the day of the Yocto
Summit.

I would very much appreciate eye-balls on this branch and the corresponding
content based on the 2.6 version [1][2] as well as some unpublished updates
for 3.3 [3].

My proposal is to add the metadata layers as git submodules to an overall
layer. Ideally this would be hosted at git.yoctoproject.org. This would
allow the content to be updated via typical git/mailing list processes,
rather than an awkward tarball => website workflow. I will lay out this
structure on GitHub as a proposal. Do not expect the corresponding
layers/repos to be stable as they will be in extreme flux up until the day
of the Yocto Summit. If you have other ideas for how to
develop/maintain/share this content, please speak up.

NOTE: my initial focus is simply on translating to Sphinx and updating to
the current Yocto Project release and Linux kernel(s). I will entertain
other changes once these required steps are complete.

Let the discussion begin!

--Tim

[1] https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/images/4/42/Kernel-lab-2.6.pdf
[2]
https://github.com/moto-timo/yocto-kernel-lab-layers/blob/legacy-2.6/kernel-lab-2.6-layers.tar.bz2
[3]
https://github.com/moto-timo/yocto-kernel-lab-layers/blob/interim-3.3/kernel-lab-3.3-layers.zip

* Re: [docs] [RFC] Translating "Hands-on Kernel Lab" to Sphinx; updating
       [not found] ` <945b31d3-4a79-b38b-2832-58806c01bc84@bootlin.com>
@ 2021-11-10 14:09   ` Tim Orling
       [not found]     ` <a394a2acd209de1ad44065295e11167899ca8335.camel@linuxfoundation.org>
From: Tim Orling @ 2021-11-10 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Opdenacker; +Cc: docs

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 1:01 AM Michael Opdenacker <
michael.opdenacker@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On 11/10/21 6:45 AM, Tim Orling wrote:
> > In preparation for the Yocto Summit, I have begun translating the
> > legacy "Hands-on Kernel Lab" to Sphinx/ReStructuredText.
> >
> > My WIP branch
> > is https://github.com/moto-timo/yocto-docs/tree/timo/kernel-lab
> > <https://github.com/moto-timo/yocto-docs/tree/timo/kernel-lab>
> >
> > I will be updating/rebasing multiple times in the coming days. Do not
> > expect this repository to completely stabilize until the day of the
> > Yocto Summit.
> >
> > I would very much appreciate eye-balls on this branch and the
> > corresponding content based on the 2.6 version [1][2] as well as some
> > unpublished updates for 3.3 [3].
> >
> > My proposal is to add the metadata layers as git submodules to an
> > overall layer. Ideally this would be hosted at git.yoctoproject.org
> > <http://git.yoctoproject.org>. This would allow the content to be
> > updated via typical git/mailing list processes, rather than an awkward
> > tarball => website workflow. I will lay out this structure on GitHub
> > as a proposal. Do not expect the corresponding layers/repos to be
> > stable as they will be in extreme flux up until the day of the Yocto
> > Summit. If you have other ideas for how to develop/maintain/share this
> > content, please speak up.
> >
> > NOTE: my initial focus is simply on translating to Sphinx and updating
> > to the current Yocto Project release and Linux kernel(s). I will
> > entertain other changes once these required steps are complete.
> >
> > Let the discussion begin!
>

> Thanks for starting this.
> Is the plan to eventually add such labs to the main documentation?

Yes. I added a new “Hands-on Manuals” section to the navbar.

The collateral metadata will need a different home however.

       [not found]       ` <fbcefb10-6b38-1dbd-864d-2d2661c190fd@bootlin.com>
@ 2021-12-14 18:06         ` Tim Orling
From: Tim Orling @ 2021-12-14 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)