* opkg Status Update
@ 2014-10-28 23:33 Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2014-10-28 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list, OE Core

Hi all,

This is fairly relevant to OpenEmbedded so I'd like to give you all a heads up.

I'll be releasing opkg v0.2.4 in around 2 weeks and will be following
that with v0.3.0 in the next month or two. The v0.3.0 release will
incorporate some useful features, including cache improvements and
package file extraction improvements. A dependency will be added on
libarchive which will replace the crufty manual handling of tar and
gzip formats which used to be in opkg. Due to these changes, I'd
definitely like to get this tested before the v0.3.0 release and so
I'll be tagging release candidates. If anyone would like to help with
testing please let me know! I have a meta-opkg layer
(https://bitbucket.org/opkg/meta-opkg) which makes it really easy to
test opkg release candidates and git commits in OpenEmbedded, it even
has a readme file with instructions.

Also, my circumstances are changing over the next few months. I've
come to the end of the 'active' part of my PhD research and I'm now
writing up my thesis part-time. I'm also starting full time employment
in January. This will make for a pretty busy schedule and I don't know
until I settle into the new routine how much free time I'll have to
work on opkg. This would be a great time for someone to step up and
help move things forward to v0.4.0 and beyond. I'll still be involved
in opkg development and I'm happy to continue my role as maintainer,
but I just want to make it clear that my time will be limited and any
help with development, patch review and bug triage would be much
appreciated!

Many thanks,

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul@paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk

* Re: [OE-core] opkg Status Update
@ 2014-10-29  1:53   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-10-29  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker; +Cc: Yocto discussion list, OE Core

Hello Paul,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM, Paul Barker <paul@paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:
> I'll be releasing opkg v0.2.4 in around 2 weeks and will be following
> that with v0.3.0 in the next month or two. The v0.3.0 release will
> incorporate some useful features, including cache improvements and
> package file extraction improvements. A dependency will be added on
> libarchive which will replace the crufty manual handling of tar and
> gzip formats which used to be in opkg. Due to these changes, I'd
> definitely like to get this tested before the v0.3.0 release and so
> I'll be tagging release candidates. If anyone would like to help with
> testing please let me know! I have a meta-opkg layer
> (https://bitbucket.org/opkg/meta-opkg) which makes it really easy to
> test opkg release candidates and git commits in OpenEmbedded, it even
> has a readme file with instructions.

I'd like to say my public 'Thank you' for this work. opkg is a
critical piece of software in several Free Software projects and
commercial products. Being involved in past with APT and Debian's
development I know it is not an easy task so I do value your work on
it.

Please let me know when you want a specific test on it and I try to
find some time to do it or allocate someone to handle it.

> Also, my circumstances are changing over the next few months. I've
> come to the end of the 'active' part of my PhD research and I'm now
> writing up my thesis part-time. I'm also starting full time employment
> in January. This will make for a pretty busy schedule and I don't know
> until I settle into the new routine how much free time I'll have to
> work on opkg. This would be a great time for someone to step up and
> help move things forward to v0.4.0 and beyond. I'll still be involved
> in opkg development and I'm happy to continue my role as maintainer,
> but I just want to make it clear that my time will be limited and any
> help with development, patch review and bug triage would be much
> appreciated!

Except the 'pretty busy schedule' and 'limited time' parts it is all
good news :-) I wish you all the luck on those new challenges :-D

From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-10-29  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker; +Cc: Yocto discussion list, OE Core

@ 2014-10-30 15:42   ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2014-10-30 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker, Yocto discussion list, OE Core

Hi Paul,

I too wanted to express my thanks to you for this work!

On 10/28/14 19:33, Paul Barker wrote:
> This would be a great time for someone to step up and
> help move things forward to v0.4.0 and beyond.

Is there a roadmap for opkg somewhere?

Best regards,
    Trevor

* Re: opkg Status Update
@ 2014-10-30 15:42   ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2014-10-30 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker, Yocto discussion list, OE Core

@ 2014-10-31 10:44     ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2014-10-31 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: Yocto discussion list, OE Core

On 30 October 2014 15:42, Trevor Woerner <trevor.woerner@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I too wanted to express my thanks to you for this work!
>
> On 10/28/14 19:33, Paul Barker wrote:
>> This would be a great time for someone to step up and
>> help move things forward to v0.4.0 and beyond.
>
> Is there a roadmap for opkg somewhere?

There isn't currently a roadmap. I'm currently just trying to get
v0.3.0 out the door as it's dragged on a lot longer than I'd planned.
I'm probably going to aim for shorter, smaller development cycles
after this release.

Once v0.3.0 is released I'll be updating the opkg issue tracker
(https://code.google.com/p/opkg/issues) to include planned bugfixes
and enhancements for the v0.4.0 and v0.5.0 releases. If you've got any
feature requests for the next release cycle or two, please add them to
the issue tracker.

Paul Barker

Email: paul@paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk