* Opkg 0.2.3
@ 2014-10-30 19:15 Michael Gloff
From: Michael Gloff @ 2014-10-30 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

As Paul mentioned yesterday opkg 0.2.4 is on it's way and 0.2.3 has been
available for 2 months. If there are not any objections, I have an updated
recipe and re-created previous patches that I could send. This should also
modify opkg-colateral to use the new syntax for lists_dir.
I would also at this time like to propose changing the default list
directory from /var/lib to something else (/usr/lib ?). On a read only
rootfs, everything in /var/lib/ gets mounted on the tmpfs, therefore
packages installed get lost.
I've tested changing the lists_dir and everything is working as expected.

Michael Gloff

* Re: Opkg 0.2.3
@ 2014-10-30 19:48 ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2014-10-30 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gloff; +Cc: OE Core

On 30 October 2014 19:15, Michael Gloff <mgloff@emacinc.com> wrote:
> As Paul mentioned yesterday opkg 0.2.4 is on it's way and 0.2.3 has been
> available for 2 months. If there are not any objections, I have an updated
> recipe and re-created previous patches that I could send. This should also
> modify opkg-colateral to use the new syntax for lists_dir.

I'm also sat on tested patches, I was planning to send them tomorrow.
I've held the patches back as the deadline for such changes for OE 1.7
had passed.

> I would also at this time like to propose changing the default list
> directory from /var/lib to something else (/usr/lib ?). On a read only
> rootfs, everything in /var/lib/ gets mounted on the tmpfs, therefore
> packages installed get lost.

Changes in v0.3.0 will make this much easier to configure. You'll be
able to set cache_dir, lists_dir, info_dir, lock_file and status_file
in opkg.conf. I'd rather we left the defaults as-is and use those
settings once v0.3.0 is released. v0.3.0 will also create any
directories needed if they don't exist. So it may make sense to set
cache_dir to something under /tmp, lock_file to something under /var
or /run and everything else under /usr if that's what's desired.

> I've tested changing the lists_dir and everything is working as expected.
>
> Michael Gloff

Paul Barker

Email: paul@paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk

* Re: Opkg 0.2.3
@ 2014-10-31  7:14   ` Michael Gloff
From: Michael Gloff @ 2014-10-31  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker; +Cc: OE Core

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Paul Barker <paul@paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:

> On 30 October 2014 19:15, Michael Gloff <mgloff@emacinc.com> wrote:
> > As Paul mentioned yesterday opkg 0.2.4 is on it's way and 0.2.3 has been
> > available for 2 months. If there are not any objections, I have an
> updated
> > recipe and re-created previous patches that I could send. This should
> also
> > modify opkg-colateral to use the new syntax for lists_dir.
>
> I'm also sat on tested patches, I was planning to send them tomorrow.
> I've held the patches back as the deadline for such changes for OE 1.7
> had passed.

Thanks Paul. I'll wait for your patch set. I hit send before checking inbox.

> > I would also at this time like to propose changing the default list
> > directory from /var/lib to something else (/usr/lib ?). On a read only
> > rootfs, everything in /var/lib/ gets mounted on the tmpfs, therefore
> > packages installed get lost.
>
> Changes in v0.3.0 will make this much easier to configure. You'll be
> able to set cache_dir, lists_dir, info_dir, lock_file and status_file
> in opkg.conf. I'd rather we left the defaults as-is and use those
> settings once v0.3.0 is released. v0.3.0 will also create any
> directories needed if they don't exist. So it may make sense to set
> cache_dir to something under /tmp, lock_file to something under /var
> or /run and everything else under /usr if that's what's desired.

Cool, I'm looking forward to v0.3.0 and beyond
Why not use the new syntax? The recipe should reflect the version of the
package.
Changing the lists_dir with 0.2.1 did not work for me. I can test the old
syntax on 0.2.3 and see, if there is interest.

Is there a reason why opkg-collateral.bb exists? And couldn't be merged
with opkg?

Michael Gloff

> > I've tested changing the lists_dir and everything is working as expected.
> >
> > Michael Gloff
> >

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Paul Barker
>
> Email: paul@paulbarker.me.uk
> http://www.paulbarker.me.uk

* Re: Opkg 0.2.3
@ 2014-10-31 10:20     ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2014-10-31 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Gloff; +Cc: OE Core

On 31 October 2014 07:14, Michael Gloff <mgloff@emacinc.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Paul Barker <paul@paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 30 October 2014 19:15, Michael Gloff <mgloff@emacinc.com> wrote:
>> > I would also at this time like to propose changing the default list
>> > directory from /var/lib to something else (/usr/lib ?). On a read only
>> > rootfs, everything in /var/lib/ gets mounted on the tmpfs, therefore
>> > packages installed get lost.
>>
>> Changes in v0.3.0 will make this much easier to configure. You'll be
>> able to set cache_dir, lists_dir, info_dir, lock_file and status_file
>> in opkg.conf. I'd rather we left the defaults as-is and use those
>> settings once v0.3.0 is released. v0.3.0 will also create any
>> directories needed if they don't exist. So it may make sense to set
>> cache_dir to something under /tmp, lock_file to something under /var
>> or /run and everything else under /usr if that's what's desired.
>>

> Cool, I'm looking forward to v0.3.0 and beyond
> Why not use the new syntax? The recipe should reflect the version of the
> package.

A change to the lists_dir syntax isn't included in the patches I've
got prepared. Perhaps you could send a patch to change this after I've
updated the opkg recipe to v0.2.3?

> Changing the lists_dir with 0.2.1 did not work for me. I can test the old
> syntax on 0.2.3 and see, if there is interest.
>
> Is there a reason why opkg-collateral.bb exists? And couldn't be merged with
> opkg?

opkg-collateral pre-dates my involvement with opkg and OE. We could
propose merging opkg-collateral.bb and opkg-config-base_1.0.bb into
the main opkg recipe, it could simplify things a little.

Paul Barker

Email: paul@paulbarker.me.uk
http://www.paulbarker.me.uk