* [OpenRISC] Linux on DE0-Nano Board- Fusesoc build problem
@ 2016-08-07 13:31 Vidya Govindan
From: Vidya Govindan @ 2016-08-07 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hello All,

I'm trying to build an sof file for DE0Nano board using which I want to run
linux on openrisc platform synthesized on Cyclone IV board.
So far I have been able simulate linux using or1ksim.
I decided to move on to the board and tried the steps mentioned in
https://github.com/kdgwill/OR1K/wiki/OpenRisc-tools-Install
I'm stuck at the make phase of fusesoc where I get the following error:

*make: *** No rule to make target `bin/fusesoc', needed by `out/fusesoc'.
Stop.*

As I tried to find out  why I get the error and how I can solve it, I came
upon lot of other things which basically confused me more. So I have
following queries if possible someone can please clarify:

1.I understand Fusesoc is the latest version of orpsocv3. Is my
understanding correct?
2. I have to build Fusesoc and orpsoc cores separately. So once I have
installed the Fusesoc framework described in here
https://github.com/kdgwill/OR1K/wiki/OpenRisc-tools-Install , I have to use
either
http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/blog/booting-linux-on-a-de0-nano-with-orpsoc
or
http://web.archive.org/web/20140625095048/http://opencores.org/or1k/ORCONF2013_Workshop_ORPSoC_On_DE0_Nano
instructions both of which do not talk about Fusesoc (may be because it was
recently named?)
Am I going correct here?
3. How can I can build Fusesoc successfully and run linux on OpenRISC
platform using DE0Nano? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Please pardon me if any of my queries are stupid.

Thanks & Regards,
Vidya
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [OpenRISC] Linux on DE0-Nano Board- Fusesoc build problem
@ 2016-08-07 20:54 ` Olof Kindgren
From: Olof Kindgren @ 2016-08-07 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Vidya Govindan <vidya.mazhur@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to build an sof file for DE0Nano board using which I want to run
> linux on openrisc platform synthesized on Cyclone IV board.
> So far I have been able simulate linux using or1ksim.

Great to hear that you got it working with or1ksim. Just out of
curiosity, did you find out what the problem was?

> I decided to move on to the board and tried the steps mentioned in
> https://github.com/kdgwill/OR1K/wiki/OpenRisc-tools-Install
> I'm stuck at the make phase of fusesoc where I get the following error:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `bin/fusesoc', needed by `out/fusesoc'.
> Stop.
>
> As I tried to find out  why I get the error and how I can solve it, I came
> upon lot of other things which basically confused me more. So I have
> following queries if possible someone can please clarify:

I didn't know about these instructions, and the procedure has changed
quite a bit since that was written. Unfortunately, the old commands no
longer work. The correct installation instructions are now like this:

git clone https://github.com/olofk/fusesoc
cd fusesoc
pip install .

To automatically download the FuseSoC standard core library
(orpsoc-cores) and create the configuration files, just run

fusesoc init

Once FuseSoC is installed, you need to create a working directory
where all systems will be built. This can be placed anywhere, and
we'll call it $WORKSPACE in this example

mkdir $WORKSPACE
cd $WORKSPACE
fusesoc build de0_nano

the above commands will build the SoC

> 1.I understand Fusesoc is the latest version of orpsocv3. Is my
> understanding correct?

I started a project called orpsocv3 about five years ago. After about
a year I realized that nothing in the code had anything to do with
OpenRISC, so I decided that orpsoc (OpenRISC Reference Platform SoC)
was a bad name, and I renamed the project FuseSoC. If you find any
references to orpsocv3, they are most likely more than four years old,
and will probably not work anymore. orpsocv3 is a dead project and
FuseSoC is what we use today

> 2. I have to build Fusesoc and orpsoc cores separately. So once I have
> installed the Fusesoc framework described in here
> https://github.com/kdgwill/OR1K/wiki/OpenRisc-tools-Install , I have to use
> either
> http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/blog/booting-linux-on-a-de0-nano-with-orpsoc
> or
> http://web.archive.org/web/20140625095048/http://opencores.org/or1k/ORCONF2013_Workshop_ORPSoC_On_DE0_Nano
> instructions both of which do not talk about Fusesoc (may be because it was
> recently named?)

It's very unfortunate that there has been several articles written
when it was still orpsocv3. We are trying to improve the situation and
have started writing new tutorials here
https://github.com/openrisc/tutorials/ In fact, the first one covers
the de0 nano board, so please let us know if that works ok

> Am I going correct here?
> 3. How can I can build Fusesoc successfully and run linux on OpenRISC
> platform using DE0Nano? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

There are several steps to accomplish this, but in the most basic
setup it amounts to

1. Build the FPGA image (fusesoc build de0_nano)
2. Compile a linux kernel for de0_nano
3. Download the linux kernel to the SDRAM on the de0 nano via JTAG.

I know that there are lots of things more to explain here, but as I'm
not really sure on which topics you would like more help, I think it's
best that you continue to give me questions once you're stuck
somewhere, and I'll try to answer them

> PS: Please pardon me if any of my queries are stupid.

Not at all. Unfortunately it just highlights how complex this is and
most of all, the bad state of our documentation. We'll take this
opportunity to improve on our side too. Also, if you use IRC, you can
find us on #openrisc on irc.freenode.net . That is perhaps the
quickest way to get replies

> Thanks & Regards,
> Vidya

Cheers,
Olof

* [OpenRISC] Linux on DE0-Nano Board- Fusesoc build problem
@ 2016-08-08 16:24   ` Vidya Govindan
From: Vidya Govindan @ 2016-08-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hi Olof,

Thanks a lot for your reply , I understand better now.
I got the linux working on ork1sim by not using the copied source( earlier
I was copying the linux folder which did'nt work out).
I  tried to build FPGA image and I have following errors, hoping you can
help out:

1.  When I ran - *~/work/openrisc/fusesoc$ fusesoc init  *after the warning
messages I get

*Directory to use for orpsoc-cores [/home/vidya/.local/share/orpsoc-cores]
: orpsoc-cores*
     So I gave the input as orpsoc-cores which created and downloaded the
cores in fusesoc directory.

Now as you mentioned when I create new directory for build and run the
build command:

*~/work/openrisc$ cd
build_fusesoc_DE0Nano/~/work/openrisc/build_fusesoc_DE0Nano$ fusesoc build
de0_nano * I get the error:

*WARN:  Failed to register cores root 'orpsoc-cores is not a
directory'ERROR: Can't find system 'de0_nano'*
I then tried to build the image inside fusesoc directory as I thought the
cores are present in it and I get the following error:
~/work/openrisc/fusesoc$ fusesoc build de0_nano

*WARN:  plusargs section is deprecated and will not be parsed by FuseSoC.
Please migrate to parameters in fifo-1.0WARN:  plusargs section is
deprecated and will not be parsed by FuseSoC. Please migrate to parameters
in vlog_tb_utilsWARN:  plusargs section is deprecated and will not be
parsed by FuseSoC. Please migrate to parameters in elf-loaderWARN:
plusargs section is deprecated and will not be parsed by FuseSoC. Please
migrate to parameters in wb_sdram_ctrlWARN:  plusargs section is deprecated
and will not be parsed by FuseSoC. Please migrate to parameters in
wb_altera_ddr_wrapperWARN:  plusargs section is deprecated and will not be
parsed by FuseSoC. Please migrate to parameters in stream_utils-1.0WARN:
plusargs section is deprecated and will not be parsed by FuseSoC. Please
migrate to parameters in ram_wbWARN:  plusargs section is deprecated and
will not be parsed by FuseSoC. Please migrate to parameters in
wb_intercon-1.0WARN:  plusargs section is deprecated and will not be parsed
by FuseSoC. Please migrate to parameters in wb_interconINFO:  Preparing
adv_debug_sysINFO:  Downloading olofk/adv_debug_sys from githubTraceback
(most recent call last):  File "/usr/local/bin/fusesoc", line 9, in
<module>    load_entry_point('fusesoc==1.4', 'console_scripts',
'fusesoc')()  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fusesoc/main.py", line 357, in
main    run(parsed_args)  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fusesoc/main.py", line 291, in
run    args.func(args)  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fusesoc/main.py", line 65, in
build    backend.configure(args.backendargs)  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fusesoc/build/quartus.py", line 38,
in configure    super(Quartus, self).configure(args)  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fusesoc/build/backend.py", line 39,
in configure    super(Backend, self).configure(args)  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fusesoc/edatool.py", line 60, in
configure    core.setup()  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fusesoc/core.py", line 125, in
setup    if self.provider.fetch():  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fusesoc/provider/github.py", line
38, in fetch    self._checkout(self.files_root)  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/fusesoc/provider/github.py", line
64, in _checkout    (filename, headers) = urllib.urlretrieve(url)  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 94, in urlretrieve    return
_urlopener.retrieve(url, filename, reporthook, data)  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 240, in retrieve    fp =
self.open(url, data)  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 208, in
open    return getattr(self, name)(url)  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib.py", line 437, in open_https
h.endheaders(data)  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 975, in
endheaders    self._send_output(message_body)  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 835, in _send_output
self.send(msg)  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 797, in send
self.connect()  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 1178, in
connect    self.timeout, self.source_address)  File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 571, in create_connection    raise
errIOError: [Errno socket error] [Errno 111] Connection refused*
There are two causes that I can figure out :
1. Maybe because I have different versions of Python?
2. or Maybe because I'm working behind a proxy?or something else.

Can you please tell me what could be the solution?

2. Also I want to run a simple C program on the linux on or1ksim. How can I
do it? I saw using toolchain installed I can cross compile the code and
then run the code in linux. To port the code in the linux I have to use gdb
server ? Do you have any updated links/steps to do this?

Thanks &Regards,
Vidya

@ 2016-08-11 15:42   ` Vidya Govindan
From: Vidya Govindan @ 2016-08-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hi All,

I'm now able to build the FPGA image.
I have also built linux for the board.
I'm facing problems in running software with GDB using OPENOCD.
After running

or1k-elf-gdb timer.elf and executing these steps:

target remote :50001
load
set $npc=0x100
continue

I get the following error:
or1k_timer_get_ticks ()
    at /home/wallento/dev/build-or1k-elf/newlib/libgloss/or1k/timer.c:173
173    /home/wallento/dev/build-or1k-elf/newlib/libgloss/or1k/timer.c:
No such file or directory.

Does anyone know what can be the problem?