* [AMD OSS Driver Bug] Only 2 Channel Audio Detected on HDMI
       [not found] <CAO5DFV-QGmqb8PnkO+Z=YU2EzY=CdzmHvKmeunp8iTVNSdgNhQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-07-18  0:33 ` Mathew Nichols
From: Mathew Nichols @ 2014-07-18  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello,

Using Ubuntu Mini Kernel v.3.15.3-generic (OSS drivers) I cannot pass 7.1
LPCM and cannot bitstream HD Audio formats. XBMC only detects 2 channels.
The xbmc.log only reports m_channel=FL,FR. I can also bitstream AC3 / DTS.
I have worked closely with fritsch. We believe this is a kernel audio error
with my GPU (AMD 5670.) The setup is dual boot and the Windows partition
works correctly, as does the older Ubuntu kernel with AMD proprietary
drivers. Debug information below.

• Kernel log (dmesg with drm.debug=0xe):http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811317
• Driver Codec: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811321
• xbmc.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7805000

Using Ubuntu Mini Kernel v.3.13.0-32-generic (AMD proprietary drivers 14.4)
I CAN pass 7.1 LPCM and I can then bitstream HD Audio formats. Windows 7
also detects 7.1 LPCM @ 192khz and will bitstream all HD Audio formats. The
xbmc.log reports all 8 channels for m_channels on both Ubuntu Mini and
Windows 7. Debug information below.

• Kernel log (dmesg with drm.debug=0xe):http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811473
• Driver Codec: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811478
• xbmc.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811488

Windows 7 with (AMD proprietary drivers 13.6):
• xbmc.log: http:// <http://pastebin.com/HkFPpCiR>pastebin.com
<http://pastebin.com/HkFPpCiR>/ <http://pastebin.com/HkFPpCiR>HkFPpCiR
<http://pastebin.com/HkFPpCiR>

Thank you for any help you can provide!

* Re: [AMD OSS Driver Bug] Only 2 Channel Audio Detected on HDMI
@ 2014-08-10 17:47   ` Anssi Hannula
From: Anssi Hannula @ 2014-08-10 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathew Nichols; +Cc: alsa-devel

18.07.2014, 03:33, Mathew Nichols kirjoitti:
> Hello,

Hello,

And sorry about the lengthy delay in response.

> Using Ubuntu Mini Kernel v.3.15.3-generic (OSS drivers) I cannot pass 7.1
> LPCM and cannot bitstream HD Audio formats. XBMC only detects 2 channels.
> The xbmc.log only reports m_channel=FL,FR. I can also bitstream AC3 / DTS.
> I have worked closely with fritsch. We believe this is a kernel audio error
> with my GPU (AMD 5670.) The setup is dual boot and the Windows partition
> works correctly, as does the older Ubuntu kernel with AMD proprietary
> drivers. Debug information below.
>
> • Kernel log (dmesg with drm.debug=0xe):http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811317
> • Driver Codec: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7811321
> • xbmc.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7805000

Strange. Can you please report the output of:
speaker-test -D "hdmi:CARD=HDMI,DEV=0" -c8

Also, your kernel log is cut short, and does not contain any audio
entries. Maybe try without drm.debug?

--
Anssi Hannula

* [AMD OSS Driver Bug] Only 2 Channel Audio Detected on HDMI
@ 2014-07-18  8:45 langkamp
From: langkamp @ 2014-07-18  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi Mathew,

same here on different hardware.
Using openSUSE Tumbleweed (3.15.5, radeon OSS drivers) I cannot pass 7.1
LPCM and cannot bitstream HD Audio formats. XBMC only detects 2 channels.
I can bitstream AC3 / DTS.
Hardware: AMD APU E-350 (Zacate)
This is roughly since kernel 3.14
DTS-HD worked before, but since 3.14 DTS-HD options are missing in xbmc
audio-settings.

aplay says 2 channels and 96000 kHz are supported by my hardware, which cannot
be true since DTS-HD worked in the past (its logo was displayed on the
receiver).

outputs

8 channels give silence
[code]aplay -D hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0 -c8 -fs16_le -r192000 thd.spdif
Wiedergabe: Rohdaten 'dts.spdif' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate: 192000 Hz,
8 Kanäle
aplay: set_params:1239: Kanalanzahl nicht unterstützt[/code]

2 channels 192000hz plays static
[code]aplay -D hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0 -c2 -fs16_le -r192000 thd.spdif
Wiedergabe: Rohdaten 'thd.spdif' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate: 192000 Hz,
stereo
Warnung: Rate ist nicht exakt (angefordert: 192000 Hz, unterstützt: 96000 Hz)
probieren Sie bitte das plug-Plugin: [/code]

2 channels 96000 plays static
[code]aplay -D hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0 -c2 -fs16_le -r96000 thd.spdif
Wiedergabe: Rohdaten 'thd.spdif' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate: 96000 Hz,
stereo[/code]

[code]aplay -L

null
default
Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)
hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
sysdefault:CARD=SB