* [U-Boot] [Feature] Android Fastboot over Ethernet
@ 2018-04-02 21:44 Stanislas BERTRAND
From: Stanislas BERTRAND @ 2018-04-02 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Has there been any development to support Android Fastboot Ethernet feature in U-Boot ?

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/android-7.1.2_r36/fastboot/fastboot_protocol.txt

The target board has not USB device port available to flash the on-board eMMC.

Flashing the eMMC via U-Boot shell commands would be very much slower and limited.

* [U-Boot] [Feature] Android Fastboot over Ethernet
@ 2018-04-04  7:20 ` Lukasz Majewski
From: Lukasz Majewski @ 2018-04-04  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Stanislas,

> Has there been any development to support Android Fastboot Ethernet
> feature in U-Boot ?
>
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/android-7.1.2_r36/fastboot/fastboot_protocol.txt
>

> The target board has not USB device port available to flash the
> on-board eMMC.

I'm not aware of any such effort.

However, if you want to flash eMMC via ETH, then maybe you can look
into DFU TFTP feature.

Please read: ./doc/README.dfutftp

> Flashing the eMMC via U-Boot shell commands would be very much slower
> and limited.

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
From: Alex Deymo @ 2018-04-16  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,

Android Things on rpi supports fastboot over udp since most rpis don't
expose a suitable USB port for fastboor over USB. It also uses the A/B
booting mechanism similar to Pixel phones.

The U-Boot code for the latest Android Things preview is in AOSP:
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/u-boot/+/android-o-mr1-iot-preview-7

In particular, the fastboot over UDP support was added by
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/u-boot/+/018e7c25c7c0260a6d021c84521eab808657c1a8
and subsequent commits. "git log android-o-mr1-iot-preview-7 --not v2017.07
--oneline --no-merges" should give you a cleaner list what was added on top
of 2017.07.

I believe most of those patches (or cleaned up versions) were shared in
this list at the time.

Best regards,
deymo.

@ 2018-04-16 11:25     ` Lukasz Majewski
From: Lukasz Majewski @ 2018-04-16 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Alex,

> Hi all,
>
> Android Things on rpi supports fastboot over udp since most rpis don't
> expose a suitable USB port for fastboor over USB. It also uses the A/B
> booting mechanism similar to Pixel phones.
>
> The U-Boot code for the latest Android Things preview is in AOSP:
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/u-boot/+/android-o-mr1-iot-preview-7
>
> In particular, the fastboot over UDP support was added by
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/u-boot/+/018e7c25c7c0260a6d021c84521eab808657c1a8
> and subsequent commits. "git log android-o-mr1-iot-preview-7 --not
> v2017.07 --oneline --no-merges" should give you a cleaner list what
> was added on top of 2017.07.
>
> I believe most of those patches (or cleaned up versions) were shared
> in this list at the time.

I would say that I would be more than happy to see patches adding this
feature to u-boot's fastboot.

> Best regards,
> deymo.

> > Hi Stanislas,
> >
> > > Has there been any development to support Android Fastboot
> > > Ethernet feature in U-Boot ?
> > >
> > > https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/
> > android-7.1.2_r36/fastboot/fastboot_protocol.txt
> > >

> > > The target board has not USB device port available to flash the
> > > on-board eMMC.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any such effort.
> >
> > However, if you want to flash eMMC via ETH, then maybe you can look
> > into DFU TFTP feature.
> >
> > Please read: ./doc/README.dfutftp
> >

> > > Flashing the eMMC via U-Boot shell commands would be very much
> > > slower and limited.

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Lukasz Majewski
> >
> > --
> >
> > DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang
> > Denk HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell,
> > Germany Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email:
> > wd at denx.de

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
* [U-Boot] [Feature] Android Fastboot over Ethernet
@ 2018-04-16 16:16       ` Stanislas BERTRAND
From: Stanislas BERTRAND @ 2018-04-16 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the links, this helps a lot.

Stan

* [U-Boot] [Feature] Android Fastboot over Ethernet
@ 2018-04-23  9:08       ` Alex Kiernan
From: Alex Kiernan @ 2018-04-23  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM, Lukasz Majewski <lukma@denx.de> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Android Things on rpi supports fastboot over udp since most rpis don't
>> expose a suitable USB port for fastboor over USB. It also uses the A/B
>> booting mechanism similar to Pixel phones.
>>
>> The U-Boot code for the latest Android Things preview is in AOSP:
>> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/u-boot/+/android-o-mr1-iot-preview-7
>>
>> In particular, the fastboot over UDP support was added by
>> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/u-boot/+/018e7c25c7c0260a6d021c84521eab808657c1a8
>> and subsequent commits. "git log android-o-mr1-iot-preview-7 --not
>> v2017.07 --oneline --no-merges" should give you a cleaner list what
>> was added on top of 2017.07.
>>
>> I believe most of those patches (or cleaned up versions) were shared
>> in this list at the time.
>
> I would say that I would be more than happy to see patches adding this
> feature to u-boot's fastboot.

Weekend project... still WIP, but builds cleanly, just seeing what
Travis makes of it whilst I test it on a board:

https://github.com/akiernan/u-boot/tree/us-fastboot-udp

--
Alex Kiernan

* [U-Boot] [Feature] Android Fastboot over Ethernet
@ 2018-04-23 16:42         ` Alex Kiernan
From: Alex Kiernan @ 2018-04-23 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Alex Kiernan <alex.kiernan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:25 PM, Lukasz Majewski <lukma@denx.de> wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Android Things on rpi supports fastboot over udp since most rpis don't
>>> expose a suitable USB port for fastboor over USB. It also uses the A/B
>>> booting mechanism similar to Pixel phones.
>>>
>>> The U-Boot code for the latest Android Things preview is in AOSP:
>>> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/u-boot/+/android-o-mr1-iot-preview-7
>>>
>>> In particular, the fastboot over UDP support was added by
>>> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/u-boot/+/018e7c25c7c0260a6d021c84521eab808657c1a8
>>> and subsequent commits. "git log android-o-mr1-iot-preview-7 --not
>>> v2017.07 --oneline --no-merges" should give you a cleaner list what
>>> was added on top of 2017.07.
>>>
>>> I believe most of those patches (or cleaned up versions) were shared
>>> in this list at the time.
>>
>> I would say that I would be more than happy to see patches adding this
>> feature to u-boot's fastboot.
>>

> Weekend project... still WIP, but builds cleanly, just seeing what
> Travis makes of it whilst I test it on a board:
>
> https://github.com/akiernan/u-boot/tree/us-fastboot-udp

Needs (quite a lot of) work still, but...

$ fastboot -s udp:192.168.0.103 getvar bootloader-version
bootloader-version: U-Boot 2018.05-rc2-00091-gdeb31e7
finished. total time: 0.000s

--
Alex Kiernan