* MCS NetLabel
@ 2021-04-18 20:01 Paul R. Tagliamonte
From: Paul R. Tagliamonte @ 2021-04-18 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SElinux list

Hello SELinux folks,

I'm running a test system using MCS and just starting to get to the
point where I'm interested in enabling NetLabel + CIPSO to pass along
context on a LAN. As a first step, I was able to get it working off
`localhost` before adding in CIPSO or other boxen.

I'm able to run in enforcing mode (amazing!) and get the peer context
(even more amazing!) -- which I can use to calculate the effective
"connection context" for logical filtering on common categories.
That's really great!

I'm a bit confused with some of the enforcement on this, though. When
I run my server (with a user and binary at the level of `s0:c1`),
connecting to localhost via a user at `s0` results in a connection
getting established.

While I understand this isn't the same as MLS / sensitivity level, I'm
a bit surprised that it didn't refuse to connect to the privileged
resource. Certainly I can't cat a file from a user at `s0` that's at
`s0:c1`, or likely (I haven't tried, but it stands to reason) a UNIX
Socket with `c1` -- so the TCP connection going through was a bit
surprising. I can see in the peer context that the user is at `s0`
(without `c1`), so it'd be possible to filter this software-side, but
it'd also be a bit more of a mental relief if only processes with the
`c1` category could connect.

Is there any documentation on how to set that particular type of enforcement?

Thank you all very much!
  Paul

--
:wq