* unit test build failure in phosphor-hwmon
@ 2019-10-07 20:01 Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2019-10-07 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: Andrew Geissler, Matt Spinler, Patrick Venture, wangkair

I was trying to get meson going in phosphor-hwmon today and I stumbled on a
unit test that doesn’t build under gcc 9.1.0.  The failing test is the
average test.

I just thought I’d quick throw this out there in case anyone feels like
having a look.  Also, I think this means our repository CI environment has
gotten out of sync with upstream Yocto?

I realize “patches welcome” applies here for both issues :-) but I just
wanted to broadcast them.

thx -brad

* Re: unit test build failure in phosphor-hwmon
@ 2019-10-07 20:04 ` William Kennington
From: William Kennington @ 2019-10-07 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop
  Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, Patrick Venture, Matt Spinler, Andrew Geissler,
	wangkair

Well, the unit test environment is using gcc 9.x.x for what that's worth.

@ 2019-10-07 20:22   ` Kun Yi
From: Kun Yi @ 2019-10-07 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Kennington
  Cc: Brad Bishop, Patrick Venture, OpenBMC Maillist, Matt Spinler,
	Andrew Geissler, wangkair

What's the test build error message with meson?

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 1:05 PM William Kennington <wak@google.com> wrote:

> Well, the unit test environment is using gcc 9.x.x for what that's worth.
>
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 1:02 PM Brad Bishop <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was trying to get meson going in phosphor-hwmon today and I stumbled on a
> > unit test that doesn’t build under gcc 9.1.0.  The failing test is the
> > average test.
> >
> > I just thought I’d quick throw this out there in case anyone feels like
> > having a look.  Also, I think this means our repository CI environment has
> > gotten out of sync with upstream Yocto?
> >
> > I realize “patches welcome” applies here for both issues :-) but I just
> > wanted to broadcast them.
> >
> > thx -brad

Kun

* Re: unit test build failure in phosphor-hwmon
@ 2019-10-07 20:29     ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-10-07 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kun Yi
  Cc: William Kennington, Brad Bishop, OpenBMC Maillist, Matt Spinler,
	Andrew Geissler, wangkair

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 1:22 PM Kun Yi <kunyi@google.com> wrote:

> What's the test build error message with meson?
>
> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 1:05 PM William Kennington <wak@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well, the unit test environment is using gcc 9.x.x for what that's worth.
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 1:02 PM Brad Bishop <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I was trying to get meson going in phosphor-hwmon today and I stumbled on a
> > > unit test that doesn’t build under gcc 9.1.0.  The failing test is the
> > > average test.
> > >
> > > I just thought I’d quick throw this out there in case anyone feels like
> > > having a look.  Also, I think this means our repository CI environment has
> > > gotten out of sync with upstream Yocto?
> > >
> > > I realize “patches welcome” applies here for both issues :-) but I just
> > > wanted to broadcast them.
> > >
> > > thx -brad

I don't see your patches on gerrit.  I don't mind building against
experimental patches :)

@ 2019-10-07 20:31     ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2019-10-07 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kun Yi
  Cc: William Kennington, Patrick Venture, OpenBMC Maillist,
	Matt Spinler, Andrew Geissler, wangkair

at 4:22 PM, Kun Yi <kunyi@google.com> wrote:

> What's the test build error message with meson?

It fails the same way with autotools...

I created a gist with the failure here:

https://gist.github.com/bradbishop/0f18c71f734a8459dcab0ea886528b4f

thanks Kun!

* Re: unit test build failure in phosphor-hwmon
@ 2019-10-07 20:42       ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-10-07 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop
  Cc: Kun Yi, William Kennington, OpenBMC Maillist, Matt Spinler,
	Andrew Geissler, wangkair

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 1:31 PM Brad Bishop <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:

> at 4:22 PM, Kun Yi <kunyi@google.com> wrote:
>
> > What's the test build error message with meson?
>
> It fails the same way with autotools...
>
> I created a gist with the failure here:
>
> https://gist.github.com/bradbishop/0f18c71f734a8459dcab0ea886528b4f

Thanks, my CI checkout must be stale.

@ 2019-10-07 20:43         ` William Kennington
From: William Kennington @ 2019-10-07 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture
  Cc: Brad Bishop, Kun Yi, OpenBMC Maillist, Matt Spinler,
	Andrew Geissler, wangkair

Looks like someone is comparing longs to uint64_t's or something,
which works on 64 bit arches but not 32-bit ones where unint64_t is
long long int.

@ 2019-10-07 20:43         ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-10-07 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop
  Cc: Kun Yi, William Kennington, OpenBMC Maillist, Matt Spinler,
	Andrew Geissler, wangkair

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 1:42 PM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 1:31 PM Brad Bishop <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:
> >
> > at 4:22 PM, Kun Yi <kunyi@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What's the test build error message with meson?
> >
> > It fails the same way with autotools...
> >
> > I created a gist with the failure here:
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/bradbishop/0f18c71f734a8459dcab0ea886528b4f
>
> Thanks, my CI checkout must be stale.

Updated my CI checkout and it builds "fine."  It builds without the
comparison failures you're seeing at least.

@ 2019-10-07 20:52       ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2019-10-07 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture
  Cc: Kun Yi, OpenBMC Maillist, Matt Spinler, wangkair,
	Andrew Geissler, William Kennington

at 4:29 PM, Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

> I don't see your patches on gerrit.  I don't mind building against
> experimental patches :)

Right…I don’t have any patches for either of these problems.  I did just
put my patches that add meson support out there; however:

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/25877

thanks!

* Re: unit test build failure in phosphor-hwmon
@ 2019-10-07 22:16           ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2019-10-07 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Kennington
  Cc: Patrick Venture, OpenBMC Maillist, Matt Spinler, wangkair,
	Andrew Geissler

at 4:43 PM, William Kennington <wak@google.com> wrote:

> Looks like someone is comparing longs to uint64_t's or something,
> which works on 64 bit arches but not 32-bit ones where unint64_t is
> long long int.

This was most definitely the problem:

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-hwmon/+/25879/1

Thanks William!