* New Library SOP
@ 2018-09-12  0:41 Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2018-09-12  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

Brad;

William contributed two libraries by building them as a repo under his
personal work account first, and then presumably you mirrored from
them.  Is this the process you prefer?  I'm looking to do some
cleanup-by-library and wanted to take off in the right direction.

I plan to grab some code and fixup three of the daemons to then use it.

Patrick

* Re: New Library SOP
@ 2018-09-12 18:24 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2018-09-12 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

> On Sep 11, 2018, at 8:41 PM, Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:
>
> Brad;
>
> William contributed two libraries by building them as a repo under his
> personal work account first, and then presumably you mirrored from
> them.  Is this the process you prefer?  I'm looking to do some
> cleanup-by-library and wanted to take off in the right direction.

I don’t think I have a preferred process.  The one you have described should
work fine.  Otherwise I can just create a new repo.  I suppose it is a bit
easier for people to leave feedback that way?

* Re: New Library SOP
@ 2018-09-12 19:51   ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2018-09-12 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM Brad Bishop
<bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:

> > On Sep 11, 2018, at 8:41 PM, Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > Brad;
> >
> > William contributed two libraries by building them as a repo under his
> > personal work account first, and then presumably you mirrored from
> > them.  Is this the process you prefer?  I'm looking to do some
> > cleanup-by-library and wanted to take off in the right direction.
>
> I don’t think I have a preferred process.  The one you have described should
> work fine.  Otherwise I can just create a new repo.  I suppose it is a bit
> easier for people to leave feedback that way?

I agree that by forcing it through at least one round of gerrit people
have a chance to weigh in, which is preferable in my opinion.  And
goes along with the notion of upstream-first, which has something I've
been trying to push.

* Re: New Library SOP
@ 2018-09-13 12:09     ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2018-09-13 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

> On Sep 12, 2018, at 3:51 PM, Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM Brad Bishop
> <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Sep 11, 2018, at 8:41 PM, Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Brad;
>>>
>>> William contributed two libraries by building them as a repo under his
>>> personal work account first, and then presumably you mirrored from
>>> them.  Is this the process you prefer?  I'm looking to do some
>>> cleanup-by-library and wanted to take off in the right direction.
>>
>> I don’t think I have a preferred process.  The one you have described should
>> work fine.  Otherwise I can just create a new repo.  I suppose it is a bit
>> easier for people to leave feedback that way?
>
> I agree that by forcing it through at least one round of gerrit people
> have a chance to weigh in, which is preferable in my opinion.  And
> goes along with the notion of upstream-first, which has something I've
> been trying to push.

Ok.  So what should the name of the new repository be?  And what will the content be?

* Re: New Library SOP
@ 2018-09-13 15:24       ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2018-09-13 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 5:09 AM Brad Bishop <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:

> > On Sep 12, 2018, at 3:51 PM, Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

> >> I don’t think I have a preferred process.  The one you have described should
> >> work fine.  Otherwise I can just create a new repo.  I suppose it is a bit
> >> easier for people to leave feedback that way?
> >
> > I agree that by forcing it through at least one round of gerrit people
> > have a chance to weigh in, which is preferable in my opinion.  And
> > goes along with the notion of upstream-first, which has something I've
> > been trying to push.
>
> Ok.  So what should the name of the new repository be?  And what will the content be?

Thanks.

I talked to wak@ and I'm holding off on creating a new library to
track whether pivoting to a different already-existing one is a better
plan -- it wasn't clear that they were a good match but they probably
are. :)

That said, for future reference, as I'm sure other libraries will pop-up ->

Patrick