* How to power on Intel x86 based CPUs
@ 2018-04-10 10:05 Brad Chou
From: Brad Chou @ 2018-04-10 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

I am going to power on my OEM server board with two Intel x86 CPUs. The BMC chip is ASPEED 2500.

By the Intel data sheets, I just need to control a power on GPIO to emulate power button behavior.
The problems are, when I send Host State Control commands as mentioned in docs/host-management.md, the journal log shows a lot of systemctl errors.

Looks like it is going to start the OpenPower related host control services, which only applies to PowerPC system.
I try to modify GPIO_CONFIGS appears in skeleton recipe to match my board, but I still got some other errors says pflash stuffs.

Because there is no documents to tell me how to customize the openbmc to fit on x86 CPUs, so I am not sure the GPIO_CONFIGS in skeleton is the right way or not.

Can somebody share your experience ?

Thanks.

* Re: How to power on Intel x86 based CPUs
@ 2018-04-10 13:36 ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2018-04-10 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Chou, openbmc

Hi Brad,

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018, at 19:35, Brad Chou wrote:
> Hi,
> I am going to power on my OEM server board with two Intel x86 CPUs. The
> BMC chip is ASPEED 2500.
>
> By the Intel data sheets, I just need to control a power on GPIO to
> emulate power button behavior.
> The problems are, when I send Host State Control commands as mentioned
> in docs/host-management.md, the journal log shows a lot of systemctl
> errors.
>
> Looks like it is going to start the OpenPower related host control
> services, which only applies to PowerPC system.
> I try to modify GPIO_CONFIGS appears in skeleton recipe to match my
> board, but I still got some other errors says pflash stuffs.

It sounds like you're building an OpenPOWER-based BMC image - this is controlled by how you set the TEMPLATECONF environment variable when sourcing the `openbmc-env` file to build (at a guess I'd say you're building for Palmetto, as it's used throughout the examples in the docs repo).

We do have support for a couple of x86 machines in the tree - your best bet is probably the Quanta 71L machine maintained by Patrick Venture:

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/tree/master/meta-openbmc-machines/meta-x86/meta-quanta/meta-q71l

As an aside, if you're experimenting and switching between target machines, it's probably a good idea to blow away your build/conf directory to make sure things get set up correctly when you next set TEMPLATECONF and source openbmc-env.

> Because there is no documents to tell me how to customize the openbmc to
> fit on x86 CPUs, so I am not sure the GPIO_CONFIGS in skeleton is the
> right way or not.

Yeah, there's not a wealth of documentation on bringing up a new machine. It would be great if you could document your experience once you get there :)

Hope that helps in some way,

Andrew

* Re: How to power on Intel x86 based CPUs
@ 2018-04-13  9:43   ` Brad Chou
From: Brad Chou @ 2018-04-13  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery, Ed Tanous, openbmc

Actually I am using the meta-s2600wf as my TEMPLATECONF.
Now switch to Q71L but found some problems :

1. I can not send the same REST command to power up the host. It seems the xyz/openbmc_project/state/host0/attr/RequestedHostTransition
is gone. I even can’t see any attributes related to xyz/openbmc_project/state.

2. I found in quanta-q71l.conf, it remove the obmc-host-state-mgmt, this may be needed when using REST to power on host. Why q71L remove it ?  Is it because of not compatible with x86 system ?

3. Suppose the REST is not used by Q71L, how can I power it up from LAN ?

Thanks.

@ 2018-04-13 17:53     ` Nancy Yuen
From: Nancy Yuen @ 2018-04-13 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Chou, Patrick Venture; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, Ed Tanous, OpenBMC Maillist

Patrick Venture uses the q71l and may be able to answer #2.  I suspect it
was removed simply b/c the system we were using it on didn't use it.

----------
Nancy

@ 2018-04-13 19:35       ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2018-04-13 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen; +Cc: Brad Chou, Andrew Jeffery, Ed Tanous, OpenBMC Maillist

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Nancy Yuen <yuenn@google.com> wrote:
> Patrick Venture uses the q71l and may be able to answer #2.  I suspect it
> was removed simply b/c the system we were using it on didn't use it.
>
> ----------
> Nancy
>
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 2:43 AM, Brad Chou <chou.brad@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Actually I am using the meta-s2600wf as my TEMPLATECONF.
>> Now switch to Q71L but found some problems :
>>
>> 1. I can not send the same REST command to power up the host. It seems the
>> xyz/openbmc_project/state/host0/attr/RequestedHostTransition
>> is gone. I even can’t see any attributes related to
>> xyz/openbmc_project/state.
>>
>> 2. I found in quanta-q71l.conf, it remove the obmc-host-state-mgmt, this
>> may be needed when using REST to power on host. Why q71L remove it ?  Is it
>> because of not compatible with x86 system ?

We didn't require it.  There was nothing wired up to it for us.  One
could conceivably wire up the power-on script stuff.

@ 2018-05-23  8:14 ` Brad Chou
From: Brad Chou @ 2018-05-23  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yong Li; +Cc: openbmc

Hi Yong,
Great, this is a good news.
I am using GPIO scripts to control CPU on/off in chassis services as Quanta-q71L does.
So I can just power on/off it by systemctl commands.
It is more preferred to use D-bus interface, so maybe I can also use REST to do power control stuff.
Thanks.

@ 2018-05-23  5:04 Yong Li
From: Yong Li @ 2018-05-23  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc, chou.brad

Hi Brad,

We(Intel) finished chassis/power control based on sdbusplus for Intel
platforms, and starting to upstream.
Official release will be available in github soon.

Thanks,
Yong Li

[-- Attachment #2: winmail.dat --]
[-- Type: application/ms-tnef, Size: 2290 bytes --]

* How to power on Intel x86 based CPUs
@ 2018-04-10  7:21 Brad Chou
From: Brad Chou @ 2018-04-10  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc