* /dev/dsp open failure
@ 2011-10-17  8:37 Appalayagari Sreedhar
From: Appalayagari Sreedhar @ 2011-10-17  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I have developed a audio driver in ALSA model, the audio ic is
interfaced with the TI DM365 processor MCBSP ports. I am working with
the 2.6.32 kernel.

I am able to play the audio using the aplay command.  but when i try
to open the device using /dev/dsp i am getting the -ve value. it fails
to open the device.

when i check the

>> ls /dev/dsp

it is available in the device directory.

I have enabled the Sound OSS related options in the kernel menuconfig.
with the same options i am able to open the device for the tlv320aic3x
device.

Could anyone please suggest where i am doing wrong? and help to solve
this problem.

One more observation :

after doing aplay i am able to open the device using the /dev/dsp.

if try to open the device using the /dev/dsp before aplay i am getting
the error.

could you please tell me where i am doing.

-Sreedhar.

* Re: /dev/dsp open failure
@ 2011-10-17 11:25 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2011-10-17 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Appalayagari Sreedhar; +Cc: alsa-devel

Appalayagari Sreedhar wrote:
> when i try to open the device using /dev/dsp i am getting the -ve value.

The what?

> after doing aplay i am able to open the device using the /dev/dsp.

So probably the sound driver module or the snd-pcm-oss module is not
loaded?

Regards,
Clemens

* Re: /dev/dsp open failure
@ 2011-10-17 12:30   ` Appalayagari Sreedhar
From: Appalayagari Sreedhar @ 2011-10-17 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clemens Ladisch; +Cc: alsa-devel

Dear Clemens,

Please check the alsa-devel group under "DM365 McBSP as Master" as subject.
I have posted the same

Thank you very much.

-Sreedhar.