* multi-channel soundmodem
@ 2015-11-04  2:54 Dave Riesz
From: Dave Riesz @ 2015-11-04  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Hello.  I'm trying out the soundmodem for the first time in nearly
twenty years.  I would like to set it up to have two channels running
from a single line-out, carried separately on stereo-left and
stereo-right.  I've seen hints here and there that this is possible,
but no proof.  Is it, in fact, possible?  Has anyone here done it?

Thanks,
Dave Riesz, N1OSN

* Re: multi-channel soundmodem
@ 2015-11-04  4:02 ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2015-11-04  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Riesz, linux-hams

Hello Dave,

Is there a specific reason why you want to specifically run Tom Sailer's
Soundmodem or are you just trying to get back into packet? Though I
think soundmodem can support stereo out for two different radios, the
support might be iffy as Soundmodem really hasn't received any support
in many years.  What I can recommend which DOES support stereo input,
stereo output, multiple soundcards as well as superior weak signal
packet decodes is Direwolf:

    https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/releases

--David
KI6ZHD

@ 2015-11-04  4:17   ` Dave Riesz
From: Dave Riesz @ 2015-11-04  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ranch; +Cc: linux-hams

Ah, HA.  I was wondering why there was so little information around on
soundmodem.  Soundmodem is just what I knew from back in the '90s.
I'll start again with Direwolf and see how far I get.

Thanks for the pointer!

Dave Riesz

@ 2015-11-04  5:22     ` Hannes Schmelzer
From: Hannes Schmelzer @ 2015-11-04  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Riesz; +Cc: David Ranch, linux-hams

Hi,

there is also a most recent project from OE5DXL - called "dxlAPRS" which
includes a soundmodem for operating 300bd up to 19200bd FSK and AFSK.
Stereo support as described is also supported, further you can run
multiple baudrates parallel on the same sound/rf channel.

Today the focus is there on operating APRS, but some OMs are running a
normal packet radio digipeater (using afskmodem together with xnet) also.

The sources, if you are interested may be downloaded from:
https://github.com/oe5hpm/dxlAPRS

The project is written originally in M2, we translate it everytime to
C-code and i am maintaining the project in github.

best regards,
Hannes - OE5HPM

@ 2015-11-04 16:08       ` David Ranch
From: David Ranch @ 2015-11-04 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Schmelzer, Dave Riesz; +Cc: linux-hams

Hello Hannes,

> there is also a most recent project from OE5DXL - called "dxlAPRS" which
> includes a soundmodem for operating 300bd up to 19200bd FSK and AFSK.
> Stereo support as described is also supported, further you can run
> multiple baudrates parallel on the same sound/rf channel.

Oh interesting and it's great to see another option out there!  I'll add
it to the list of soft packet modems that I'm aware of that I keep here:

http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/hampacketizing-centos.html#6.softtnc

Curious on your program, does it do any specific work on the signal to
try to recover the packets?  Direwolf and UZ7HO Soundmodem do various
creative things to recover a packet.  The mixing of multiple modes on
the same channel is interesting for say split-speed satellite users but
I'm not aware of many other use cases for that.

Have you ever tried to benchmark it against the reference WA8LMF APRS
audio tracks?  It would be interesting to see how it performs.

> Today the focus is there on operating APRS, but some OMs are running a
> normal packet radio digipeater (using afskmodem together with xnet) also.

Are there any screen captures for say "aprsmap"?

What does udprfnet do?  It's not described in the README.md

> The sources, if you are interested may be downloaded from:
> https://github.com/oe5hpm/dxlAPRS

Thanks so much!   Have you considered posting the presence of this
project on the Linux Ham Radio Database?  http://radio.linux.org.au/
I'd be happy to add it if you'd like if you intend on keeping it maintained.

> The project is written originally in M2, we translate it everytime to
> C-code and i am maintaining the project in github.

Whoa.. Modula eh?  No doubt a powerful language but not commonly used
these days.  I always have a soft spot for Pascal and wished that Oberon
caught on but it didn't.  Now we live in a world of a new language like
every 4-5 years and it's getting complicated!

Anyway.. thanks for making us aware of this project and posting the
sources on Github!

--David
KI6ZHD