* GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-18 21:24 Adam Lee
From: Adam Lee @ 2014-02-18 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello everyone, I am sure this has been asked before but I haven't found a
solution.

I am currently integrating GDM to my XFCE image. I was hoping that it's as
easy as adding GDM as the graphical init manager (in local.conf), but it
looks like PolicyKit, Console Kit, PAM, gconf, gconf-sanity (as per
meta-angstrom) all need to be correctly configured for GDM to work. This
integration of multiple frameworks is not what I had in mind. So I am now
searching for alternative - something more lightweight and with less
dependency.

meta-oe contains another login manager 'slim', except it's no longer
maintained and has been moved to nonworking directory within the tree. I
don't see any other.

Thank you,

Adam

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-19  8:00 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2014-02-19  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-19 10:18 ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2014-02-19 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM, Adam Lee <adam.yh.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I am sure this has been asked before but I haven't found a
> solution.
>
> I am currently integrating GDM to my XFCE image. I was hoping that it's as
> easy as adding GDM as the graphical init manager (in local.conf), but it
> looks like PolicyKit, Console Kit, PAM, gconf, gconf-sanity (as per
> meta-angstrom) all need to be correctly configured for GDM to work. This
> integration of multiple frameworks is not what I had in mind. So I am now
> searching for alternative - something more lightweight and with less
> dependency.
>
> meta-oe contains another login manager 'slim', except it's no longer
> maintained and has been moved to nonworking directory within the tree. I
> don't see any other.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Adam

I am using lxdm for my XFCE-image.

Andreas

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-19 16:15   ` Adam Lee
From: Adam Lee @ 2014-02-19 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Thank you Koen and Andreas. That has been really helped in clearing up my
confusion and setting the path forward.

I think I will try LXDM in meta-misc in meta-oe. Is there any special
configuration that I should be aware of (other then setting it as the
graphical init manager)?

Regards,

Adam

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Andreas Müller <
schnitzeltony@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM, Adam Lee <adam.yh.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone, I am sure this has been asked before but I haven't found
> > solution.
> >
> > I am currently integrating GDM to my XFCE image. I was hoping that it's
> as
> > easy as adding GDM as the graphical init manager (in local.conf), but it
> > looks like PolicyKit, Console Kit, PAM, gconf, gconf-sanity (as per
> > meta-angstrom) all need to be correctly configured for GDM to work. This
> > integration of multiple frameworks is not what I had in mind. So I am now
> > searching for alternative - something more lightweight and with less
> > dependency.
> >
> > meta-oe contains another login manager 'slim', except it's no longer
> > maintained and has been moved to nonworking directory within the tree. I
> > don't see any other.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Adam
>
> I am using lxdm for my XFCE-image.
>
> Andreas

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-20  7:36     ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2014-02-20  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Adam Lee <adam.yh.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Koen and Andreas. That has been really helped in clearing up my
> confusion and setting the path forward.
>
> I think I will try LXDM in meta-misc in meta-oe. Is there any special
> configuration that I should be aware of (other then setting it as the
> graphical init manager)?

meta-misc is my personal playground - it might have dependencies to
other layers and some things might not work as expected...

Andreas

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-20 21:36       ` Adam Lee
From: Adam Lee @ 2014-02-20 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Andreas, LXDM from meta-oe works well with minimal configuration on my part
:)
I didn't have to add another layer to satisfy dependencies. Thanks :)

Adam

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM, Andreas Müller <
schnitzeltony@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Adam Lee <adam.yh.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank you Koen and Andreas. That has been really helped in clearing up my
> > confusion and setting the path forward.
> >
> > I think I will try LXDM in meta-misc in meta-oe. Is there any special
> > configuration that I should be aware of (other then setting it as the
> > graphical init manager)?
>
> meta-misc is my personal playground - it might have dependencies to
> other layers and some things might not work as expected...
>
> Andreas

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-26  3:49         ` Stephen Arnold
From: Stephen Arnold @ 2014-02-26  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Is there any interest in reviving slim?  I'm using it on gentoo-arm on
several devices; works just like x86.  Since I haven't tried it or
otherwise looked at it in oe yet, I have no idea why it's in a non-working
state.  That said, it was on my todo list until I noticed lxdm, so I'll
probably check it out at some point; never a bad idea to have another
lightweight alternative...

Steve

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Adam Lee <adam.yh.lee@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andreas, LXDM from meta-oe works well with minimal configuration on my part
> :)
> I didn't have to add another layer to satisfy dependencies. Thanks :)
>
> Adam
>

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM, Andreas Müller <
> schnitzeltony@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Adam Lee <adam.yh.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thank you Koen and Andreas. That has been really helped in clearing up
> my
> > > confusion and setting the path forward.
> > >
> > > I think I will try LXDM in meta-misc in meta-oe. Is there any special
> > > configuration that I should be aware of (other then setting it as the
> > > graphical init manager)?
> >
> > meta-misc is my personal playground - it might have dependencies to
> > other layers and some things might not work as expected...
> >
> > Andreas

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-26 23:28           ` Adam Lee
From: Adam Lee @ 2014-02-26 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Are there any obvious advantages over one another between LXDM and Slim?
I love how LXDM doesn't require complicated authentication framework like
GDM.

Adam

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Stephen Arnold
<stephen.arnold42@gmail.com>wrote:

> Is there any interest in reviving slim?  I'm using it on gentoo-arm on
> several devices; works just like x86.  Since I haven't tried it or
> otherwise looked at it in oe yet, I have no idea why it's in a non-working
> state.  That said, it was on my todo list until I noticed lxdm, so I'll
> probably check it out at some point; never a bad idea to have another
> lightweight alternative...
>
> Steve
>

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Adam Lee <adam.yh.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Andreas, LXDM from meta-oe works well with minimal configuration on my
> part
> > :)
> > I didn't have to add another layer to satisfy dependencies. Thanks :)
> >
> > Adam
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM, Andreas Müller <
> > schnitzeltony@googlemail.com> wrote:

> up
> > my

> > > meta-misc is my personal playground - it might have dependencies to
> > > other layers and some things might not work as expected...
> > >
> > > Andreas

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-27 22:29             ` Stephen Arnold
From: Stephen Arnold @ 2014-02-27 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

It's a bit more subtle than just "obvious advantage" since the deps are
different, config options are different, etc.  Slim is probably "lighter"
than lxdm, in both features and dependency bloat.  The former pretty
depends only on X11 libs and png (with optional pam and dbus/consolekit
integration).  OTOH, lxdm has about the same pam/consolekit features, but
depends on gtk[2|3].  So, a bit fancier and a little more bloat.  Which one
do you think is easier to theme?  ;)

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Adam Lee <adam@gumstix.com> wrote:

> Are there any obvious advantages over one another between LXDM and Slim?
> I love how LXDM doesn't require complicated authentication framework like
> GDM.
>
> Adam
>

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Stephen Arnold
> <stephen.arnold42@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Is there any interest in reviving slim?  I'm using it on gentoo-arm on
> > several devices; works just like x86.  Since I haven't tried it or
> > otherwise looked at it in oe yet, I have no idea why it's in a
> non-working
> > state.  That said, it was on my todo list until I noticed lxdm, so I'll
> > probably check it out at some point; never a bad idea to have another
> > lightweight alternative...
> >
> > Steve
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Adam Lee <adam.yh.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Andreas, LXDM from meta-oe works well with minimal configuration on my
> > part
> > > :)
> > > I didn't have to add another layer to satisfy dependencies. Thanks :)
> > >
> > > Adam

> > up
> > > my

> special
> the

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-27 22:30               ` Stephen Arnold
From: Stephen Arnold @ 2014-02-27 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

And I think I just convinced myself I need to get slim working...

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Stephen Arnold

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-02-28 17:35               ` Adam Lee
From: Adam Lee @ 2014-02-28 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Thanks Stephen for your response :)
I think I will give slim a spin this weekend on my desktop. Ultimately a
lighter DM will be appreciated on my embedded boards.

Adam

* Re: GDM alternative?
@ 2014-03-16 23:19                 ` Stephen Arnold
From: Stephen Arnold @ 2014-03-16 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Haven't gotten to slim yet (other things intervened) but I did add lxdm to
my xorg image.  Got it working with a bbappend for an init script package,
upstream automake broke it, so I had to fix it again (along with some other
stuff).  Anyway, the latter patches are in the ML queue; works fine so far,
although the session menu isn't populated since it only uses the mini_x
session for openbox.