* [Buildroot] freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig fails to build
@ 2018-03-04 21:55 Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-03-04 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Vincent, Gary, Fabio,

I'm contacting you because the freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig
doesn't build anymore, with the following error during the kernel
build:

arch/arm/mach-imx/built-in.o: In function `init_mmdc_lpddr2_settings':
platform-spi_imx.c:(.text+0x8f18): undefined reference to
`imx6sll_lpddr2_freq_change' arch/arm/mach-imx/built-in.o: In function
`imx6ul_cpuidle_init': platform-spi_imx.c:(.init.text+0x195c):
undefined reference to `mx6ull_lpm_wfi_end'
platform-spi_imx.c:(.init.text+0x1960): undefined reference to
`mx6ull_lpm_wfi_start' platform-spi_imx.c:(.init.text+0x1964):
undefined reference to `imx6ull_low_power_idle'
arch/arm/mach-imx/built-in.o: In function `imx6sl_init_late':
platform-spi_imx.c:(.init.text+0x56f0): undefined reference to
`imx6sll_cpuidle_init' Makefile:969: recipe for target 'vmlinux' failed
make[1]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

See:

  https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/55306817

Is one of you interested in maintaining/fixing this board ? If so,
could you fix it and also submit a patch to add yourself to the
DEVELOPERS file ?

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig fails to build
@ 2018-03-04 23:21 ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2018-03-04 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 6:55 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> Vincent, Gary, Fabio,
>
> I'm contacting you because the freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig
> doesn't build anymore, with the following error during the kernel
> build:
>

> arch/arm/mach-imx/built-in.o: In function `init_mmdc_lpddr2_settings':
> platform-spi_imx.c:(.text+0x8f18): undefined reference to
> `imx6sll_lpddr2_freq_change' arch/arm/mach-imx/built-in.o: In function
> `imx6ul_cpuidle_init': platform-spi_imx.c:(.init.text+0x195c):
> undefined reference to `mx6ull_lpm_wfi_end'
> platform-spi_imx.c:(.init.text+0x1960): undefined reference to
> `mx6ull_lpm_wfi_start' platform-spi_imx.c:(.init.text+0x1964):
> undefined reference to `imx6ull_low_power_idle'
> arch/arm/mach-imx/built-in.o: In function `imx6sl_init_late':
> platform-spi_imx.c:(.init.text+0x56f0): undefined reference to
> `imx6sll_cpuidle_init' Makefile:969: recipe for target 'vmlinux' failed
> make[1]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1
>
> See:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/55306817
>
> Is one of you interested in maintaining/fixing this board ? If so,
> could you fix it and also submit a patch to add yourself to the
> DEVELOPERS file ?

I can send a patch converting the defconfig to use a mainline kernel instead.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

* [Buildroot] freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig fails to build
@ 2018-03-05  7:53   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-03-05  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 20:21:14 -0300, Fabio Estevam wrote:

> > See:
> >
> >   https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/55306817
> >
> > Is one of you interested in maintaining/fixing this board ? If so,
> > could you fix it and also submit a patch to add yourself to the
> > DEVELOPERS file ?
>
> I can send a patch converting the defconfig to use a mainline kernel instead.

Would be good, thanks! Do you have a way of testing it, or you don't
have access to the HW platform ?

If nobody has access to the HW platform, I think we could just as well
drop the defconfig.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2018-03-05 11:03     ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2018-03-05 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 4:53 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Would be good, thanks! Do you have a way of testing it, or you don't
> have access to the HW platform ?
>
> If nobody has access to the HW platform, I think we could just as well
> drop the defconfig.

Yes, we have a mx31pdk board in the office.

I will try to have access to it this week and give it a try with mainline.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

* [Buildroot] freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig fails to build
@ 2018-03-10 14:40       ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2018-03-10 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 8:03 AM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If nobody has access to the HW platform, I think we could just as well
>> drop the defconfig.
>
> Yes, we have a mx31pdk board in the office.
>
> I will try to have access to it this week and give it a try with mainline.

The mx31pdk board I have access to is bricked and it will take me some
time to unbrick it.

If anyone else has access to this board and would like to maintain it
in Buildroot with a mainline kernel, then I am OK to drop the
defconfig.

Thanks

* [Buildroot] freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig fails to build
@ 2018-03-10 15:39         ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2018-03-10 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 8:03 AM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> If nobody has access to the HW platform, I think we could just as well
>>> drop the defconfig.
>>
>> Yes, we have a mx31pdk board in the office.
>>
>> I will try to have access to it this week and give it a try with mainline.
>
> The mx31pdk board I have access to is bricked and it will take me some
> time to unbrick it.
>
> If anyone else has access to this board and would like to maintain it

Ops, I meant "If anyone else does not have access to this board..."

* [Buildroot] freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig fails to build
@ 2016-11-05 16:37     ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2016-11-05 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 16:55:34 +0100, Vincent Stehl? wrote:
>
>> > Has one of you access to this platform, and be willing to update this
>> > defconfig?
>>
>> Hi Thomas and Fabio,
>>
>> I am sorry to say that I don't have access to an i.MX31 PDK anymore. The
>> one I used by the time was already a "rare" resource in Freescale France :)
>>
>> I will try to help repair the build at least.
>
> If this platform is difficult to get access to, and rarely used, then
> maybe we should just remove the defconfig in Buildroot? It doesn't make
> a lot of sense to have defconfig for platforms that are not in use.

Yes, even for me it will be difficult to get access to a mx31pdk
board, so I am OK with removing its defconfig from Buildroot.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

* [Buildroot] freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig fails to build
       [not found] ` <6234984d-6409-37c1-b050-504775d37c17@bergerie>
@ 2016-11-05 16:16   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-11-05 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 16:55:34 +0100, Vincent Stehl? wrote:

> > Has one of you access to this platform, and be willing to update this
> > defconfig?
>
> Hi Thomas and Fabio,
>
> I am sorry to say that I don't have access to an i.MX31 PDK anymore. The
> one I used by the time was already a "rare" resource in Freescale France :)
>
> I will try to help repair the build at least.

If this platform is difficult to get access to, and rarely used, then
maybe we should just remove the defconfig in Buildroot? It doesn't make
a lot of sense to have defconfig for platforms that are not in use.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig fails to build
@ 2016-11-05 15:27     ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2016-11-05 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:

> Great, thanks!
>
> Bonus point for other improvements to the defconfig, such as adding the
> build for the bootloader, etc :)

Yes, I thought about that as well. Mainline U-Boot should also boot
fine on this board, so hopefully I will be able to test it next week.

Thanks

* [Buildroot] freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig fails to build
@ 2016-11-05 15:26   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-11-05 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 13:05:43 -0200, Fabio Estevam wrote:

> > Has one of you access to this platform, and be willing to update this
> > defconfig?
>
> I think we should be able to use the latest mainline on mx31pdk.
>
> I will try to get access to a mx31pdk and will give it a try with
> latest mainline.

Great, thanks!

Bonus point for other improvements to the defconfig, such as adding the
build for the bootloader, etc :)

Thanks,

Thomas
--

@ 2016-11-05 15:05 ` Fabio Estevam
       [not found] ` <6234984d-6409-37c1-b050-504775d37c17@bergerie>
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2016-11-05 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Thomas Petazzoni

@ 2016-11-05 13:35 Thomas Petazzoni
       [not found] ` <6234984d-6409-37c1-b050-504775d37c17@bergerie>
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-11-05 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Fabio, Vincent,

The freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig in Buildroot no longer builds,
because the Linux kernel version used in this defconfig is too old, and
doesn't build with gcc 5.x.

Has one of you access to this platform, and be willing to update this
defconfig?

See
http://free-electrons.com/~thomas/pub/buildroot-defconfigs/freescale_imx31_3stack_defconfig.log.FAIL
for the full build log.