* [Buildroot] Hint on switching between targets
@ 2016-09-09 23:14 Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2016-09-09 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

My last Buildroot build was for warp7 target . Now I want to build for
wandboard, so I do

make wandboard_defconfig
make

,but I get errors like

/home/fabio/buildroot/output/host/usr/lib
-Wl,-rpath,/home/fabio/buildroot/output/host/usr/lib"
make[2]: /home/fabio/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc:
Command not found
/bin/sh: 1: /home/fabio/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc:
not found
dirname: missing operand
Try 'dirname --help' for more information.
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
  CHK     include/config.h
  UPD     include/config.h
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk
/bin/sh: 1:   GEN     include/autoconf.mk.dep
/home/fabio/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc:
not found
/bin/sh: 1: /home/fabio/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc:
not found
  GEN     spl/include/autoconf.mk
/bin/sh: 1: /home/fabio/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc:
not found
scripts/Makefile.autoconf:72: recipe for target 'include/autoconf.mk' failed
make[3]: *** [include/autoconf.mk] Error 1
scripts/Makefile.autoconf:47: recipe for target 'include/autoconf.mk.dep' failed
make[3]: *** [include/autoconf.mk.dep] Error 1
scripts/Makefile.autoconf:75: recipe for target 'spl/include/autoconf.mk' failed
make[3]: *** [spl/include/autoconf.mk] Error 1
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'include/config/auto.conf', needed
by 'include/config/uboot.release'.  Stop.
package/pkg-generic.mk:201: recipe for target
'/home/fabio/buildroot/output/build/uboot-2015.07/.stamp_built' failed
make[1]: *** [/home/fabio/buildroot/output/build/uboot-2015.07/.stamp_built]
Error 2
Makefile:41: recipe for target '_all' failed
make: *** [_all] Error 2

I know I can do "make clean" and start from scratch, but I would like
to know if there is a minimal folder or something I can erase so that
the new build succeeds.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Fabio Estevam

* [Buildroot] Hint on switching between targets
@ 2016-09-19 20:35 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2016-09-19 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Hi,
 > My last Buildroot build was for warp7 target . Now I want to build for
 > wandboard, so I do

 > make wandboard_defconfig
 > make

 > ,but I get errors like

[snip]

 > I know I can do "make clean" and start from scratch, but I would like
 > to know if there is a minimal folder or something I can erase so that
 > the new build succeeds.

Do you mean that you would like to keep some of the already built
components when changing configuration? That isn't generally supported.
If you know what you are doing and the two configurations are
sufficiently similar (same arch/toolchain config) then it will work, but
Buildroot will not warn you if you do something that doesn't make sense.

If you just want to keep your warp7 output around while you build for
wandboard you can use out-of-tree builds - E.G.

make O=output-wandboard wandboard_defconfig
cd output-wandboard && make

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Hint on switching between targets
@ 2016-09-19 21:01   ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2016-09-19 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Peter Korsgaard <peter@korsgaard.com> wrote:

> Do you mean that you would like to keep some of the already built
> components when changing configuration? That isn't generally supported.

Yes, that's correct.

> If you know what you are doing and the two configurations are
> sufficiently similar (same arch/toolchain config) then it will work, but
> Buildroot will not warn you if you do something that doesn't make sense.
>
> If you just want to keep your warp7 output around while you build for
> wandboard you can use out-of-tree builds - E.G.
>
> make O=output-wandboard wandboard_defconfig
> cd output-wandboard && make

That helps, thanks.

* [Buildroot] Hint on switching between targets
@ 2016-09-19 21:22     ` André Hentschel
From: André Hentschel @ 2016-09-19 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Am 19.09.2016 um 23:01 schrieb Fabio Estevam:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Peter Korsgaard <peter@korsgaard.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you mean that you would like to keep some of the already built
>> components when changing configuration? That isn't generally supported.
>
> Yes, that's correct.
>
>> If you know what you are doing and the two configurations are
>> sufficiently similar (same arch/toolchain config) then it will work, but
>> Buildroot will not warn you if you do something that doesn't make sense.
>>
>> If you just want to keep your warp7 output around while you build for
>> wandboard you can use out-of-tree builds - E.G.
>>
>> make O=output-wandboard wandboard_defconfig
>> cd output-wandboard && make
>
> That helps, thanks.

Isn't it easier to just do:

mv output output-warp7
make wandboard_defconfig

* [Buildroot] Hint on switching between targets
@ 2016-09-19 21:51       ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2016-09-19 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

 >>> If you just want to keep your warp7 output around while you build for
 >>> wandboard you can use out-of-tree builds - E.G.
 >>>
 >>> make O=output-wandboard wandboard_defconfig
 >>> cd output-wandboard && make
 >>
 >> That helps, thanks.

 > Isn't it easier to just do:

 > mv output output-warp7
 > make wandboard_defconfig

Well, yes - But then you cannot continue working on your warp7 build (as
the paths have changed). With out-of-tree builds you can swap between
your configurations without problems.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard