* [U-Boot] IMX6 DM_USB / DM_MMC requires OF_CONTROL?
@ 2019-02-19 18:24 Tim Harvey
From: Tim Harvey @ 2019-02-19 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Greetings,

I'm seeing that I need to switch my IMX6 board support
(board/gateworks/gw_ventana) over to DM_USB and DM_MMC right away
(v2019.04) and I notice enabling those fails building as it looks like
these DM drivers expect OF_CONTROL (U-Boot running from a
device-tree). Is that currently true or am I perhaps missing
something? I haven't pinned down what exactly is missing yet so I
thought I would ask. It looks like only a couple of IMX6 boards have
been converted over thus far.

What is the IMX6 status of DM_SCSI/DM_PCI/DM_VIDEO which are required
by v2019.07?

Best Regards,

Tim

* [U-Boot] IMX6 DM_USB / DM_MMC requires OF_CONTROL?
@ 2019-02-19 18:32 ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2019-02-19 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tim,

On 19/02/19 19:24, Tim Harvey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm seeing that I need to switch my IMX6 board support
> (board/gateworks/gw_ventana) over to DM_USB and DM_MMC right away
> (v2019.04) and I notice enabling those fails building as it looks like
> these DM drivers expect OF_CONTROL (U-Boot running from a
> device-tree).
> Is that currently true or am I perhaps missing
> something?

You are completely correct : moving to DM requires to set a DT for the
board.

> I haven't pinned down what exactly is missing yet so I
> thought I would ask. It looks like only a couple of IMX6 boards have
> been converted over thus far.

Yes, that is true.

> What is the IMX6 status of DM_SCSI/DM_PCI/DM_VIDEO which are required
> by v2019.07?
>
> Best Regards,

Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de

* [U-Boot] IMX6 DM_USB / DM_MMC requires OF_CONTROL?
@ 2019-02-19 18:37 ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2019-02-19 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey@gateworks.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm seeing that I need to switch my IMX6 board support
> (board/gateworks/gw_ventana) over to DM_USB and DM_MMC right away
> (v2019.04) and I notice enabling those fails building as it looks like

Correction: DM_USB conversion is due to 2019.07 release.

> these DM drivers expect OF_CONTROL (U-Boot running from a
> device-tree). Is that currently true or am I perhaps missing
> something? I haven't pinned down what exactly is missing yet so I

That's correct.

> thought I would ask. It looks like only a couple of IMX6 boards have
> been converted over thus far.

You can also take a look at the patch series from Abel that converts
mx6sabreauto/sabresd boards to DM:
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-imx.git;a=shortlog

> What is the IMX6 status of DM_SCSI/DM_PCI/DM_VIDEO which are required
> by v2019.07?

As far as I know these are not done yet.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

* [U-Boot] IMX6 DM_USB / DM_MMC requires OF_CONTROL?
@ 2019-02-19 19:11   ` Tim Harvey
From: Tim Harvey @ 2019-02-19 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey@gateworks.com> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm seeing that I need to switch my IMX6 board support
> > (board/gateworks/gw_ventana) over to DM_USB and DM_MMC right away
> > (v2019.04) and I notice enabling those fails building as it looks like
>
> Correction: DM_USB conversion is due to 2019.07 release.
>
> > these DM drivers expect OF_CONTROL (U-Boot running from a
> > device-tree). Is that currently true or am I perhaps missing
> > something? I haven't pinned down what exactly is missing yet so I
>
> That's correct.
>
> > thought I would ask. It looks like only a couple of IMX6 boards have
> > been converted over thus far.
>
> You can also take a look at the patch series from Abel that converts
> mx6sabreauto/sabresd boards to DM:
> http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-imx.git;a=shortlog
>
> > What is the IMX6 status of DM_SCSI/DM_PCI/DM_VIDEO which are required
> > by v2019.07?
>
> As far as I know these are not done yet.

Fabio / Stefano,

Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I've been looking at the
mx6sabreauto conversion series and trying to plot a course for my
boards that won't completely thrash users - we need backwards
compatibility.

We currently have a large list of IMX6 boards with different dtbs
(about 10 boards in total resulting in 20 dtbs b/c of the imx6q vs
imx6dl options). These currently are all covered by a single
SPL/U-Boot binary of board/gateworks/gw_ventana and not using
OF_CONTROL (as its relatively new for IMX6 and these boards have been
around for many years now). Boot scripts are setup to load the DTB
from the root filesystem which varies per OS between a ubi volume or
ext filesytem.

So it looks like what I need to do is add all my device-tree's from
the kernel to U-Boot's arch/arm/dts, add SPL_MULTI_DTB_FIT support and
a board_fit_config_name_match() function for the SPL to pick the right
DTB. Some questions come to mind:

1. Where would I apply any fixup's to the DTBs before they are used by the SPL?

2. I'm assuming the FIT image is embedded within the SPL and thus does
not require specific storage/filesystem support?

3. Users are used to being able to update the DTB's used by Linux by
updating them on the filesystem - does all of this give the user the
option of using either the DTB that U-Boot uses vs the DTB that
already exists on one of the partitions? If the bootscripts already
load a DTB from a filesystem does U-Boot's ft_board_setup() still
function normally?

Regards,

Tim

* [U-Boot] IMX6 DM_USB / DM_MMC requires OF_CONTROL?
@ 2019-02-19 21:58     ` Adam Ford
From: Adam Ford @ 2019-02-19 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 1:11 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey@gateworks.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey@gateworks.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I'm seeing that I need to switch my IMX6 board support
> > > (board/gateworks/gw_ventana) over to DM_USB and DM_MMC right away
> > > (v2019.04) and I notice enabling those fails building as it looks like
> >
> > Correction: DM_USB conversion is due to 2019.07 release.

DM_USB creates an SPL binary that's fairly large.  There is an option
to leave SPL_DM_USB off, is that going to be an issue?  I know people
want to move away from the older code, but the DM overhead makes it
really difficult to fit evertyhing.  I've got an i.MX6 board with NAND
and SD cards.  I use the USB to load a blank or erased SOM, which
requires some overhead, but it appears to work with SPL_DM_USB
disabled.  Because of the overhead for DM_MMC, and NAND (which
requires some DMA stuff), I am having a hard time getting
SPL_OF_CONTROL to fit into the required space.

I think it would be really nice if supporting OF_PLATDATA was required
in order to reduce the overhead of devices with small SPL space, but
it requires some reworking of the drivers to support his.

> > > these DM drivers expect OF_CONTROL (U-Boot running from a
> > > device-tree). Is that currently true or am I perhaps missing
> > > something? I haven't pinned down what exactly is missing yet so I
> >
> > That's correct.
> >
> > > thought I would ask. It looks like only a couple of IMX6 boards have
> > > been converted over thus far.
> >
> > You can also take a look at the patch series from Abel that converts
> > mx6sabreauto/sabresd boards to DM:
> > http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-imx.git;a=shortlog
> >
> > > What is the IMX6 status of DM_SCSI/DM_PCI/DM_VIDEO which are required
> > > by v2019.07?
> >
> > As far as I know these are not done yet.

There seems to be something broken when booting from NAND if SPL_DM
and SPL_OF_CONTROL are both enabled too.

adam

@ 2019-02-21  0:00     ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2019-02-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 4:11 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey@gateworks.com> wrote:

> Fabio / Stefano,
>
> Thanks for your quick response. Yes, I've been looking at the
> mx6sabreauto conversion series and trying to plot a course for my
> boards that won't completely thrash users - we need backwards
> compatibility.
>
> We currently have a large list of IMX6 boards with different dtbs
> (about 10 boards in total resulting in 20 dtbs b/c of the imx6q vs
> imx6dl options). These currently are all covered by a single
> SPL/U-Boot binary of board/gateworks/gw_ventana and not using
> OF_CONTROL (as its relatively new for IMX6 and these boards have been
> around for many years now). Boot scripts are setup to load the DTB
> from the root filesystem which varies per OS between a ubi volume or
> ext filesytem.
>
> So it looks like what I need to do is add all my device-tree's from
> the kernel to U-Boot's arch/arm/dts, add SPL_MULTI_DTB_FIT support and
> a board_fit_config_name_match() function for the SPL to pick the right
> DTB. Some questions come to mind:
>
> 1. Where would I apply any fixup's to the DTBs before they are used by the SPL?
>
> 2. I'm assuming the FIT image is embedded within the SPL and thus does
> not require specific storage/filesystem support?
>
> 3. Users are used to being able to update the DTB's used by Linux by
> updating them on the filesystem - does all of this give the user the
> option of using either the DTB that U-Boot uses vs the DTB that
> already exists on one of the partitions? If the bootscripts already
> load a DTB from a filesystem does U-Boot's ft_board_setup() still
> function normally?

I don't have the answers to your questions. Added some folks who could
probably help.

When it comes to U-Boot DM, I am still at the beginner level :-)

* [U-Boot] IMX6 DM_USB / DM_MMC requires OF_CONTROL?
@ 2019-02-21 14:48   ` Marcel Ziswiler
From: Marcel Ziswiler @ 2019-02-21 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Fabio

On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 19:32 +0100, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On 19/02/19 19:24, Tim Harvey wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm seeing that I need to switch my IMX6 board support
> > (board/gateworks/gw_ventana) over to DM_USB and DM_MMC right away
> > (v2019.04) and I notice enabling those fails building as it looks
> > like
> > these DM drivers expect OF_CONTROL (U-Boot running from a
> > device-tree).
> > Is that currently true or am I perhaps missing
> > something?
>
> You are completely correct : moving to DM requires to set a DT for
> the
> board.

I don't think that is fully true. There is also the option of using
platform data. At least for certain parts of DM that is certainly
working (e.g. have a look at colibri_pxa270).

> > I haven't pinned down what exactly is missing yet so I
> > thought I would ask. It looks like only a couple of IMX6 boards
> > have
> > been converted over thus far.
>
> Yes, that is true.
>
> > What is the IMX6 status of DM_SCSI/DM_PCI/DM_VIDEO which are
> > required
> > by v2019.07?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >

> Stefano

Cheers

Marcel

* [U-Boot] IMX6 DM_USB / DM_MMC requires OF_CONTROL?
@ 2019-02-22 17:14     ` Tim Harvey
From: Tim Harvey @ 2019-02-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 6:48 AM Marcel Ziswiler
<marcel.ziswiler@toradex.com> wrote:

> Hi Fabio
>
> On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 19:32 +0100, Stefano Babic wrote:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > On 19/02/19 19:24, Tim Harvey wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I'm seeing that I need to switch my IMX6 board support
> > > (board/gateworks/gw_ventana) over to DM_USB and DM_MMC right away
> > > (v2019.04) and I notice enabling those fails building as it looks
> > > like
> > > these DM drivers expect OF_CONTROL (U-Boot running from a
> > > device-tree).
> > > Is that currently true or am I perhaps missing
> > > something?
> >
> > You are completely correct : moving to DM requires to set a DT for
> > the
> > board.
>
> I don't think that is fully true. There is also the option of using
> platform data. At least for certain parts of DM that is certainly
> working (e.g. have a look at colibri_pxa270).

Marcel,

Good point, and IMX boards have used this already as for DM_SERIAL.
However I don't see this possible yet for IMX (fsl_esdhc.c) DM_MMC...
one would need to export a platdata struct to
include/dm/platform_data. I'll have to look into that... I'm sure
there are many other IMX boards out there that also need to get this
done and perhaps are not ready to go to OF_CONTROL yet. I did take a
quick stab at converting my board(s) to OF_CONTROL using
SPL_MULTI_DTB_FIT and while I'm still not booting the SPL is way too
large to fit within an IMX6DL cache.

Thanks,

Tim

* [U-Boot] IMX6 DM_USB / DM_MMC requires OF_CONTROL?
@ 2019-02-28 22:44       ` Lukasz Majewski
From: Lukasz Majewski @ 2019-02-28 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Tim,

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 6:48 AM Marcel Ziswiler
> <marcel.ziswiler@toradex.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Fabio
> >
> > On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 19:32 +0100, Stefano Babic wrote:
> > > Hi Tim,

> > > You are completely correct : moving to DM requires to set a DT for
> > > the
> > > board.
> >
> > I don't think that is fully true. There is also the option of using
> > platform data. At least for certain parts of DM that is certainly
> > working (e.g. have a look at colibri_pxa270).
> >

> Marcel,
>
> Good point, and IMX boards have used this already as for DM_SERIAL.
> However I don't see this possible yet for IMX (fsl_esdhc.c) DM_MMC...
> one would need to export a platdata struct to
> include/dm/platform_data. I'll have to look into that... I'm sure
> there are many other IMX boards out there that also need to get this
> done and perhaps are not ready to go to OF_CONTROL yet. I did take a
> quick stab at converting my board(s) to OF_CONTROL using
> SPL_MULTI_DTB_FIT and while I'm still not booting the SPL is way too
> large to fit within an IMX6DL cache.

Please look into my recent work for IMX6Q mccmon6 u-boot proper DM/DTS
conversion.

I've also converted the tpc70 board (including SPL).

> Thanks,
>
> Tim

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski