* Systemd 211 on Wandboard, mmc and ttymxc0 hang
@ 2014-03-22  5:49 Jacob Kroon
From: Jacob Kroon @ 2014-03-22  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

I upgraded to latest oe-core, and I am now seeing some issues which I think
is due to the recent systemd upgrade. From the boot log:

Welcome to Linux!

systemd[1]: Set hostname to <wandboard-dual>.
mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt.
mmcblk0: error -110 transferring data, sector 3862264, nr 8, cmd response
0x900, card status 0x80000b00
mmcblk0: retrying using single block read
systemd[1]: Expecting device dev-ttymxc0.device...
         Expecting device dev-ttymxc0.device...
systemd[1]: Starting Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch.
systemd[1]: Started Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch.

I think the errors about mmc are new, systemd seems to hang for a couple of
seconds while scanning the boot partition or something like that.
And then later on:

[  OK  ] Reached target Network.
         Starting Getty on tty1...
[  OK  ] Started Getty on tty1.
libphy: 2188000.ethernet:01 - Link is Up - 100/Full
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-ttymxc0.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Serial Getty on ttymxc0.
[  OK  ] Reached target Login Prompts.
[  OK  ] Reached target Multi-User System.

A long time out waiting for ttymxc0. I *think* the first time I boot an
image, this error does not happen, but subsequent boots of the same image
shows this problem.

  -- Jacob

* Re: Systemd 211 on Wandboard, mmc and ttymxc0 hang
@ 2014-03-25  2:08 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-03-25  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Kroon; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Jacob Kroon <jacob.kroon@gmail.com> wrote:
> A long time out waiting for ttymxc0. I *think* the first time I boot an
> image, this error does not happen, but subsequent boots of the same image
> shows this problem.

Please check if udev-cache is installed.

* Re: Systemd 211 on Wandboard, mmc and ttymxc0 hang
@ 2014-03-25 18:54   ` Jacob Kroon
From: Jacob Kroon @ 2014-03-25 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi Otavio,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br>wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Jacob Kroon <jacob.kroon@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > A long time out waiting for ttymxc0. I *think* the first time I boot an
> > image, this error does not happen, but subsequent boots of the same image
> > shows this problem.
>
> Please check if udev-cache is installed.

No, no udev-cache package installed in the image, and no .ipk built
either...

* Re: Systemd 211 on Wandboard, mmc and ttymxc0 hang
@ 2014-03-25 19:02     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-03-25 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Kroon; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Jacob Kroon <jacob.kroon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Otavio,
>
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Jacob Kroon <jacob.kroon@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > A long time out waiting for ttymxc0. I *think* the first time I boot an
>> > image, this error does not happen, but subsequent boots of the same
>> > image
>> > shows this problem.
>>
>> Please check if udev-cache is installed.
>>

> No, no udev-cache package installed in the image, and no .ipk built
> either...

So please enable the systemd debug boot params so we figure out where
it is blocking.

* Re: Systemd 211 on Wandboard, mmc and ttymxc0 hang
@ 2014-03-26  4:36 ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2014-03-26  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Kroon; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

Hi Jacob,

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Jacob Kroon <jacob.kroon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I upgraded to latest oe-core, and I am now seeing some issues which I think
> is due to the recent systemd upgrade. From the boot log:

Does selecting CONFIG_FHANDLE=y in your kernel config help?

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

* Re: Systemd 211 on Wandboard, mmc and ttymxc0 hang
@ 2014-03-26  6:11   ` Jacob Kroon
From: Jacob Kroon @ 2014-03-26  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Estevam; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

Hi Fabio,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 5:36 AM, Fabio Estevam <festevam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jacob,
>
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Jacob Kroon <jacob.kroon@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I upgraded to latest oe-core, and I am now seeing some issues which I
> think
> > is due to the recent systemd upgrade. From the boot log:
>
> Does selecting CONFIG_FHANDLE=y in your kernel config help?

Indeed it does, the hang on ttymxc0 is gone now, agetty on /dev/ttymxc0
always starts now,
even on subsequent boots. Systemd still hangs for a couple of seconds due
to the kernel
timeout on mmc. I'll turn on the systemd debug as Otavio suggested, and see
what comes
out of it.

Thanks

@ 2014-04-04 21:45     ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2014-04-04 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Kroon; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

Hi Jacob,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 3:11 AM, Jacob Kroon <jacob.kroon@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Does selecting CONFIG_FHANDLE=y in your kernel config help?
>>

> Indeed it does, the hang on ttymxc0 is gone now, agetty on /dev/ttymxc0
> always starts now,
> even on subsequent boots. Systemd still hangs for a couple of seconds due to
> the kernel
> timeout on mmc. I'll turn on the systemd debug as Otavio suggested, and see
> what comes
> out of it.

Have you managed to fix the mmc issue?

Regards,