* Driver laboratory classes on university
@ 2013-08-06 18:39 Grzegorz Dwornicki
From: Grzegorz Dwornicki @ 2013-08-06 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi

I'm working on own phd thesis. It includes some kernel hacking for
practical application of my research. I wish to make some progress with
programming classes on my university. We have a lot of high level
programing like object oriented languages but none on low level and kernel
programing.

I wish to know how other universities run classes on operating systems. I
have named this topic about drivers because I think this will be most fun
for the students. But fell free to give me any advices. I have more than
one year to write conspect and get the required hardware. But first I need
to learn myself all I can.

I don't know where to start. Do I need to know electronic and physics good?
Is there some easy to program hardware but at the same time easy to show
how this is done from scratch? At first this would be an optional classes
but I know there are a lot of interested students in this subjects soo this
may become a part of operating systems laboratory classes. They are as you
may expect -  mandatory. I wish to give them a least a good start.

This isn't as simple as decide what I need to know for my thesis... Links
for articles, hardware on some stores or just it's prod. Id will be
helpful.

Thanks for help
Gregory
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Driver laboratory classes on university
@ 2013-08-07  9:22 ` Rohan Puri
From: Rohan Puri @ 2013-08-07  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm working on own phd thesis. It includes some kernel hacking for
> practical application of my research. I wish to make some progress with
> programming classes on my university. We have a lot of high level
> programing like object oriented languages but none on low level and kernel
> programing.
>
> I wish to know how other universities run classes on operating systems. I
> have named this topic about drivers because I think this will be most fun
> for the students. But fell free to give me any advices. I have more than
> one year to write conspect and get the required hardware. But first I need
> to learn myself all I can.
>
> I don't know where to start. Do I need to know electronic and physics
> good? Is there some easy to program hardware but at the same time easy to
> show how this is done from scratch? At first this would be an optional
> classes but I know there are a lot of interested students in this subjects
> soo this may become a part of operating systems laboratory classes. They
> are as you may expect -  mandatory. I wish to give them a least a good
> start.
>
> This isn't as simple as decide what I need to know for my thesis... Links
> for articles, hardware on some stores or just it's prod. Id will be
> helpful.
>
> Thanks for help
> Gregory

Hi Gregory,

The one which I know and really like personally is OS by Prof Remzi
Arpaci-Dusseau at University of wisconsin. The reference material the book
written by the Prof. himself is available on his website for free download.
His webpage is pages.cs.wisc.edu/~*remzi*/. They use the xv6 operating
system (unix like) link http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2012/xv6.html
developed at MIT.

- Rohan

@ 2013-08-07 20:21   ` Grzegorz Dwornicki
From: Grzegorz Dwornicki @ 2013-08-07 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thank you all for this materials. I will read them all.

As for grading students for fixing bug or writing a driver. This looks
reasonable. The only problem is with bugs. I am not aware of any bug needed
to fix list on Linux. As for drivers for new devices. This will require
constant amount of money from University. This may be a problem in the long
run.
7 sie 2013 11:22, "Rohan Puri" <rohan.puri15@gmail.com> napisa?(a):

@ 2013-08-08  5:22     ` Rohan Puri
From: Rohan Puri @ 2013-08-08  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you all for this materials. I will read them all.
>
> As for grading students for fixing bug or writing a driver. This looks
> reasonable. The only problem is with bugs. I am not aware of any bug needed
> to fix list on Linux. As for drivers for new devices. This will require
> constant amount of money from University. This may be a problem in the long
> run.
> 7 sie 2013 11:22, "Rohan Puri" <rohan.puri15@gmail.com> napisa?(a):
>

>> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm working on own phd thesis. It includes some kernel hacking for
>>> practical application of my research. I wish to make some progress with
>>> programming classes on my university. We have a lot of high level
>>> programing like object oriented languages but none on low level and kernel
>>> programing.
>>>
>>> I wish to know how other universities run classes on operating systems.
>>> I have named this topic about drivers because I think this will be most fun
>>> for the students. But fell free to give me any advices. I have more than
>>> one year to write conspect and get the required hardware. But first I need
>>> to learn myself all I can.
>>>
>>> I don't know where to start. Do I need to know electronic and physics
>>> good? Is there some easy to program hardware but at the same time easy to
>>> show how this is done from scratch? At first this would be an optional
>>> classes but I know there are a lot of interested students in this subjects
>>> soo this may become a part of operating systems laboratory classes. They
>>> are as you may expect -  mandatory. I wish to give them a least a good
>>> start.
>>>
>>> This isn't as simple as decide what I need to know for my thesis...
>>> Links for articles, hardware on some stores or just it's prod. Id will be
>>> helpful.
>>>
>>> Thanks for help
>>> Gregory

>> Hi Gregory,
>>
>> The one which I know and really like personally is OS by Prof Remzi
>> Arpaci-Dusseau at University of wisconsin. The reference material the book
>> written by the Prof. himself is available on his website for free download.
>> His webpage is pages.cs.wisc.edu/~*remzi*/. They use the xv6 operating
>> system (unix like) link http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2012/xv6.html
>> developed at MIT.
>>
>> - Rohan

One way to look for bugs is go through the list in bugzilla. link
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/

@ 2013-08-08 15:33       ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2013-08-08 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:52:27 +0530, Rohan Puri said:

> One way to look for bugs is go through the list in bugzilla. link
> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/

That may not be the best place to find bugs suitable for a university
class.  Quite often, a bug is opened in bugzilla only because it's
a particularly hard one that even the guy who originally wrote the
code involved hasn't been able to figure out in several days of trying.

If it's in the bugzilla, it's probably relating to a problem with
specific hardware/BIOS levels, or it's a *very* subtle bug involving
race/locking conditions or lifetime/refcount issues or similar problems.
@ 2013-08-09 14:31         ` Matthias Brugger
From: Matthias Brugger @ 2013-08-09 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I did a operating system laboratory class at BarcelonaTech.
It consists in adding basic functionality to an existing OS (it was
based on Linux 2.4). This included adding system call table, process
scheduling and semaphore support (as far as I remember).

As a second part we had to implement a kernel module which these days
was able to count several system calls before executing them.
I have the source code, you can find it on my blog (see below) but I'm
not sure if I have the instructions for the assignments...

Cheers,
Matthias

2013/8/8  <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu>:
> On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 10:52:27 +0530, Rohan Puri said:
>
>> One way to look for bugs is go through the list in bugzilla. link
>> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/
>
> That may not be the best place to find bugs suitable for a university
> class.  Quite often, a bug is opened in bugzilla only because it's
> a particularly hard one that even the guy who originally wrote the
> code involved hasn't been able to figure out in several days of trying.
>
> If it's in the bugzilla, it's probably relating to a problem with
> specific hardware/BIOS levels, or it's a *very* subtle bug involving
> race/locking conditions or lifetime/refcount issues or similar problems.

motzblog.wordpress.com

* Driver laboratory classes on university
@ 2013-08-09 16:13           ` Mrunal Gawade
From: Mrunal Gawade @ 2013-08-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Please have a look at OS 161 from Harward.
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~syrah/os161/

@ 2013-08-13 11:08     ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2013-08-13 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:21 AM, Grzegorz Dwornicki <gd1100@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you all for this materials. I will read them all.
>
> As for grading students for fixing bug or writing a driver. This looks
> reasonable. The only problem is with bugs. I am not aware of any bug needed
> to fix list on Linux. As for drivers for new devices. This will require
> constant amount of money from University. This may be a problem in the long
> run.

Just to share some thoughts:

I was managing operating system lab in a university in Indonesia. At
that time, I decided to take "experiment approach". For example, to
understand about scheduling priority effect, I told them to run
scripts that basically write to single file in alternating fashion. By
changing priorities in between, the order will get vary from time to
time.

I took this approach so that the students get the general
understanding on how OS works (particularly Linux and Windows), while
not getting too deep. For now, I decided not to do module programming,
since the students are not fluent in C (they are more adept to Visual
Basic and Java).

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa