* Things to look out for while adding FUSE support to XFSTests
@ 2021-06-07 18:27 Bhumit Attarde
From: Bhumit Attarde @ 2021-06-07 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fstests

Hello,

I’m a Google Summer of Code[1] student developer at KDE working on
integrating XFSTests with KDE’s KIO-FUSE[2]. KIO is a KDE framework
that provides and implements abstractions for accessing various types
of (virtual) filesystems in a cross-platform way. KIO-FUSE is a
project that lets you mount remote locations on your machine locally
using FUSE. We’re anticipating that integrating XFSTESTS with KIO-FUSE
would help us uncover previously undetected bugs in KIO-FUSE and
KIO-slaves[3] (ioslaves) as well as the various protocols themselves.
You can read a brief summary of the project by visiting the following
link: Integrating XFSTests with KDE KIO-FUSE[4].

As a part of the project, I’ll be adding FUSE support to XFSTests.
While a patch[5] was submitted for this, it seems to be abandoned. I’m
aiming to build on the mentioned patch, improve & test it after
rectifying the errors pointed out by the reviewer. Some main changes
that I will be making are --
I] changing $SUBTYP to $FUSE_SUBTYP
II] removing the added check case in `scratch_cleanup_files()`

Is there anything I should keep in mind or need to look out for while
working on this?

Thank you.

Best,
Bhumit Attarde

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
[2] https://invent.kde.org/system/kio-fuse
[3] https://api.kde.org/4.14-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kioslave/html/index.html
[4] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/#6429306361741312
[5] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-fsdevel/patch/20200108192504.GA893@miu.piliscsaba.redhat.com/

* Re: Things to look out for while adding FUSE support to XFSTests
@ 2021-06-08  7:12 ` Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2021-06-08  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhumit Attarde; +Cc: fstests, Miklos Szeredi

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 9:29 PM Bhumit Attarde <bhumitattarde1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m a Google Summer of Code[1] student developer at KDE working on
> integrating XFSTests with KDE’s KIO-FUSE[2]. KIO is a KDE framework
> that provides and implements abstractions for accessing various types
> of (virtual) filesystems in a cross-platform way. KIO-FUSE is a
> project that lets you mount remote locations on your machine locally
> using FUSE. We’re anticipating that integrating XFSTESTS with KIO-FUSE
> would help us uncover previously undetected bugs in KIO-FUSE and
> KIO-slaves[3] (ioslaves) as well as the various protocols themselves.
> You can read a brief summary of the project by visiting the following
> link: Integrating XFSTests with KDE KIO-FUSE[4].
>
> As a part of the project, I’ll be adding FUSE support to XFSTests.
> While a patch[5] was submitted for this, it seems to be abandoned. I’m
> aiming to build on the mentioned patch, improve & test it after
> rectifying the errors pointed out by the reviewer. Some main changes
> that I will be making are --
> I] changing $SUBTYP to $FUSE_SUBTYP
> II] removing the added check case in `scratch_cleanup_files()`
>
> Is there anything I should keep in mind or need to look out for while
> working on this?

You should address this question to the FUSE maintainer who also
happens to be the author of path [5] (CCed).

Thanks,
Amir.

@ 2021-06-08  7:28   ` Miklos Szeredi
From: Miklos Szeredi @ 2021-06-08  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bhumit Attarde; +Cc: fstests, fuse-devel, Amir Goldstein

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 at 09:12, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 9:29 PM Bhumit Attarde <bhumitattarde1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I’m a Google Summer of Code[1] student developer at KDE working on
> > integrating XFSTests with KDE’s KIO-FUSE[2]. KIO is a KDE framework
> > that provides and implements abstractions for accessing various types
> > of (virtual) filesystems in a cross-platform way. KIO-FUSE is a
> > project that lets you mount remote locations on your machine locally
> > using FUSE. We’re anticipating that integrating XFSTESTS with KIO-FUSE
> > would help us uncover previously undetected bugs in KIO-FUSE and
> > KIO-slaves[3] (ioslaves) as well as the various protocols themselves.
> > You can read a brief summary of the project by visiting the following
> > link: Integrating XFSTests with KDE KIO-FUSE[4].
> >
> > As a part of the project, I’ll be adding FUSE support to XFSTests.
> > While a patch[5] was submitted for this, it seems to be abandoned. I’m
> > aiming to build on the mentioned patch, improve & test it after
> > rectifying the errors pointed out by the reviewer. Some main changes
> > that I will be making are --
> > I] changing $SUBTYP to $FUSE_SUBTYP
> > II] removing the added check case in `scratch_cleanup_files()`
> >
> > Is there anything I should keep in mind or need to look out for while
> > working on this?

Thanks for picking this up.

I don't have any requirements except that it should work with the
passthrough filesystem found in the libfuse3 source.

Cc'ing fuse-devel to keep the libfuse maintainer in the loop as well.

Thanks,
Miklos