* [BISECTED] brcmfmac issue
@ 2016-01-23 18:09 Carlo Caione
From: Carlo Caione @ 2016-01-23 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Hansson, arend, meuleman, kvalo, linux-wireless

Hi,

I submitted [1] e10c3219 "mmc: core: Enable tuning according to the
actual timing"  to solve a problem with the BCM43340 SDIO WiFi card.
This patch works perfectly fine on top of v4.4 tag, solving the
problem with the WiFi card. With the latest master the asus x205ta
laptop fails to boot. The failure seems related to a weird interaction
between this patch and 7d34b05 "brcmfmac: Move all module parameters
to one place" (bad commit).

The bad commit was found bisecting between master and v4.4 and
applying my patch when not already present.

Here the log: https://gist.github.com/9db683a467496c942659

Any idea?

Cheers,

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mmc/msg34791.html

--
Carlo Caione

* Re: [BISECTED] brcmfmac issue
@ 2016-01-23 20:20 ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2016-01-23 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Caione; +Cc: Ulf Hansson, arend, meuleman, linux-wireless

Carlo Caione <carlo@caione.org> writes:

> I submitted [1] e10c3219 "mmc: core: Enable tuning according to the
> actual timing"  to solve a problem with the BCM43340 SDIO WiFi card.
> This patch works perfectly fine on top of v4.4 tag, solving the
> problem with the WiFi card. With the latest master the asus x205ta
> laptop fails to boot. The failure seems related to a weird interaction
> between this patch and 7d34b05 "brcmfmac: Move all module parameters
> to one place" (bad commit).
>
> The bad commit was found bisecting between master and v4.4 and
> applying my patch when not already present.
>
> Here the log: https://gist.github.com/9db683a467496c942659
>
> Any idea?

Does this patch fix it?

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/kvalo/wireless-drivers.git/commit/?id=e0045bf80f62779ba75ba04513020d60e59f5298

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: [BISECTED] brcmfmac issue
@ 2016-01-23 20:55   ` Carlo Caione
From: Carlo Caione @ 2016-01-23 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kalle Valo; +Cc: Carlo Caione, Ulf Hansson, arend, meuleman, linux-wireless

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 9:20 PM, Kalle Valo <kvalo@codeaurora.org> wrote:
> Carlo Caione <carlo@caione.org> writes:
>
>> I submitted [1] e10c3219 "mmc: core: Enable tuning according to the
>> actual timing"  to solve a problem with the BCM43340 SDIO WiFi card.
>> This patch works perfectly fine on top of v4.4 tag, solving the
>> problem with the WiFi card. With the latest master the asus x205ta
>> laptop fails to boot. The failure seems related to a weird interaction
>> between this patch and 7d34b05 "brcmfmac: Move all module parameters
>> to one place" (bad commit).
>>
>> The bad commit was found bisecting between master and v4.4 and
>> applying my patch when not already present.
>>
>> Here the log: https://gist.github.com/9db683a467496c942659
>>
>> Any idea?
>
> Does this patch fix it?
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/kvalo/wireless-drivers.git/commit/?id=e0045bf80f62779ba75ba04513020d60e59f5298

Yes, it does. Sorry for the noise.

--
Carlo Caione

* Re: [BISECTED] brcmfmac issue
@ 2016-01-23 21:04     ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2016-01-23 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Caione; +Cc: Ulf Hansson, arend, meuleman, linux-wireless

Carlo Caione <carlo@caione.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 9:20 PM, Kalle Valo <kvalo@codeaurora.org> wrote:
>> Carlo Caione <carlo@caione.org> writes:
>>
>>> I submitted [1] e10c3219 "mmc: core: Enable tuning according to the
>>> actual timing"  to solve a problem with the BCM43340 SDIO WiFi card.
>>> This patch works perfectly fine on top of v4.4 tag, solving the
>>> problem with the WiFi card. With the latest master the asus x205ta
>>> laptop fails to boot. The failure seems related to a weird interaction
>>> between this patch and 7d34b05 "brcmfmac: Move all module parameters
>>> to one place" (bad commit).
>>>
>>> The bad commit was found bisecting between master and v4.4 and
>>> applying my patch when not already present.
>>>
>>> Here the log: https://gist.github.com/9db683a467496c942659
>>>
>>> Any idea?
>>
>> Does this patch fix it?
>>
>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/kvalo/wireless-drivers.git/commit/?id=e0045bf80f62779ba75ba04513020d60e59f5298
>
> Yes, it does. Sorry for the noise.

Thanks for checking. And it's not noise, it's good to get confirmation
that the fix really fixes the issue for many people.

If everything goes well the fix should be in -rc2.

--
Kalle Valo