* How to find closest tag when using git-bisect?
@ 2016-09-08 10:56 Louie Lu
From: Louie Lu @ 2016-09-08 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to git-bisect for debugging, but how can I find the tag I need?

for example, I'm find the file change at maybe commit
fc2bd799c7c79c84a59da6f9221370bc6f38c503, how to find the closest tag
for this commit?

and a anther question is, is every bisect need to recopmile all kernel
code by `make`? or just need to build the thing I need?

thanks.

Louie.

* How to find closest tag when using git-bisect?
@ 2016-09-08 11:36 ` Carlo Caione
From: Carlo Caione @ 2016-09-08 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Louie Lu <louie.lu@hopebaytech.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to git-bisect for debugging, but how can I find the tag I need?
>
> for example, I'm find the file change at maybe commit
> fc2bd799c7c79c84a59da6f9221370bc6f38c503, how to find the closest tag
> for this commit?

This is literally the first link you get on google when searching for
"closest tag for this commit"

https://git-scm.com/docs/git-describe

> and a anther question is, is every bisect need to recopmile all kernel
> code by `make`? or just need to build the thing I need?

Question is not clear. You need to recompile at each step.

--
Carlo Caione