* Support for {fa,i}notify
@ 2011-07-11 12:15 Damien Churchill
From: Damien Churchill @ 2011-07-11 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

I was wondering if there is plans for (or already is support for)
inotify or fanotify when using the Ceph filesystem? In my tests it
seemed to work okay locally but there weren't any notifications to
another machine in the cluster.

Regards,
Damien

* Re: Support for {fa,i}notify
@ 2011-07-11 16:33 ` Tommi Virtanen
From: Tommi Virtanen @ 2011-07-11 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damien Churchill; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 05:15, Damien Churchill <damoxc@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if there is plans for (or already is support for)
> inotify or fanotify when using the Ceph filesystem? In my tests it
> seemed to work okay locally but there weren't any notifications to
> another machine in the cluster.

The reason it works on the local machine is that the Linux VFS
provides that feature directly, without really interacting with Ceph.

I am not sure what it would take to support that feature in a
distributed fashion (or whether that's even possible with the current
kernel APIs), but I created a ticket requesting this feature:
http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/1296

If you wish to stay updated on the status of that feature, you can
create a user account in the tracker and "watch" the ticket, then
you'll be notified of any changes.

* Re: Support for {fa,i}notify
@ 2011-07-11 19:49   ` Damien Churchill
From: Damien Churchill @ 2011-07-11 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommi Virtanen; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 11 July 2011 17:33, Tommi Virtanen <tommi.virtanen@dreamhost.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 05:15, Damien Churchill <damoxc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was wondering if there is plans for (or already is support for)
>> inotify or fanotify when using the Ceph filesystem? In my tests it
>> seemed to work okay locally but there weren't any notifications to
>> another machine in the cluster.
>
> The reason it works on the local machine is that the Linux VFS
> provides that feature directly, without really interacting with Ceph.
>
> I am not sure what it would take to support that feature in a
> distributed fashion (or whether that's even possible with the current
> kernel APIs), but I created a ticket requesting this feature:
> http://tracker.newdream.net/issues/1296
>
> If you wish to stay updated on the status of that feature, you can
> create a user account in the tracker and "watch" the ticket, then
> you'll be notified of any changes.

Excellent, thank you for your response.