* Struggling with mds. It seems very fragile.
@ 2011-07-09  3:39 Vineet Jain
From: Vineet Jain @ 2011-07-09  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Using ceph version 0.3 and the ceph kernel that comes with ubuntu 11.04.

I've setup 5 osds and one one mon and mds on one machine. When I first
started, without writing any data to the ceph fs my mds would keep
crashing. I fixed that problem by deleting the mod data directory and
the ceph data directories and restarting ceph. I then started copying
test data from a 2tb external drive to my ceph fs. I left my computer
and came back and could not login to my machine. I saw that the
external drive light was blinking so something was going on. I did a
hard power off thinking I would just delete the last file that was
copied over and start over.

As expected, I could not start up ceph again. I had to delete all the
data directories again to get ceph up again. Is there any way to flush
whatever to get ceph back to some sort of stage where you can enter
back into the fs without having to purge everything a start over?

* Re: Struggling with mds. It seems very fragile.
@ 2011-07-11 16:24 ` Tommi Virtanen
From: Tommi Virtanen @ 2011-07-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vineet Jain; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 20:39, Vineet Jain <vinjvinj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using ceph version 0.3 and the ceph kernel that comes with ubuntu 11.04.
>
> I've setup 5 osds and one one mon and mds on one machine. When I first
> started, without writing any data to the ceph fs my mds would keep
> crashing. I fixed that problem by deleting the mod data directory and
> the ceph data directories and restarting ceph. I then started copying
> test data from a 2tb external drive to my ceph fs. I left my computer
> and came back and could not login to my machine. I saw that the
> external drive light was blinking so something was going on. I did a
> hard power off thinking I would just delete the last file that was
> copied over and start over.
>
> As expected, I could not start up ceph again. I had to delete all the
> data directories again to get ceph up again. Is there any way to flush
> whatever to get ceph back to some sort of stage where you can enter
> back into the fs without having to purge everything a start over?

Can you please provide core dumps and log messages from those MDS
crashes? Getting tickets filed at
http://tracker.newdream.net/projects/ceph with the relevant
information is what will help us fix your problems.

Recovery, where not automatic, depends very much on the crash you saw.
We'd be glad to help, but need more information to do so.

* Re: Struggling with mds. It seems very fragile.
@ 2011-07-11 23:43   ` Vineet Jain
From: Vineet Jain @ 2011-07-11 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommi Virtanen; +Cc: ceph-devel

Thanks for the offer to help. I have limited hardware at the moment
and am going with another solution.  My preference would be to have a
rock solid simple setup first. One MDS, One monitor, and a few OSD's
all on the same machine, but it should be very difficult to crash the
system in the most simple setup. And if you do there should be a fail
safe way to bring it back (I'm okay if I loose the last x hours of
changes). Unfortunately, I was able to crash the mds twice in a just a
few hours of use with no simple way to revert back my changes.

On trying moosefs, I got much further along (Ceph has a lot more
functionality than moosefs so this might not be a fair comparison. For
me, I'm willing to give up functionality for stability). I did crash
moosefs once but, they snapshot their meta data so I was able to
revert back to a file an hour back and was back and was back up and
running wit no help from outside. They also have a very cool web
interface.

I'll be watching ceph closely and will be back in a few months to try
it again. Thanks for all your hard work.

@ 2011-07-11 23:49 ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2011-07-11 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vineet Jain; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Vineet Jain <vinjvinj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using ceph version 0.3 and the ceph kernel that comes with ubuntu 11.04.

Sorry, I just noticed this. You mean Ceph v0.30, right? Ceph v0.3 is
years old. ;)

I'm surprised you managed to kill it so quickly since it's generally
been stable under our tests; if you could provide any more information
about the crash we'd appreciate it!
-Greg

* Re: Struggling with mds. It seems very fragile.
@ 2011-07-11 23:52   ` Vineet Jain
From: Vineet Jain @ 2011-07-11 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Farnum; +Cc: ceph-devel

yes. I mean v0.30. The latest version released a few weeks back.

@ 2011-07-12 19:25     ` Wilfrid Allembrand
From: Wilfrid Allembrand @ 2011-07-12 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vineet Jain; +Cc: Tommi Virtanen, ceph-devel

Hello all,

I do agree with Vineet on the gui. Ceph development team is doing a
wonderful work on fixing bugs and bringing new features. I hope one
day we'll have such a gui in ceph with all those usefull metrics. Keep
up the good work !

Wilfrid