* [Buildroot] ssh: connect to host pi adress port 22: Connection refused
@ 2016-01-25  2:37 FrAnKenStEiN MC
From: FrAnKenStEiN MC @ 2016-01-25  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

i'm having some trouble when trying to connect to my raspberry b+. i have
used **buildroot** with raspberrypi_defconfig and add dropBear package for
SSH , change hostname to pi and root password to 123.
make runned successfully and i was able to deploy the necessary files on
the pi ...

I gave the pi a static adress `10.42.0.5` and it's detected correctly in my
ethernet network
here are some commands :

    nmap -sP 10.42.0.0/24
    Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2016-01-25 02:23 WET
    Nmap scan report for 10.42.0.1
    Host is up (0.00017s latency).
    Nmap scan report for 10.42.0.5
    Host is up (0.0069s latency).
    Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (2 hosts up) scanned in 2.61 seconds

The pi adress is `10.42.0.5`

For the ping it runs successfully

    ping -c 3 10.42.0.5

    --- 10.42.0.5 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2003ms

But whe trying ssh i get `connection refused`

    ssh pi at 10.42.0.5
    ssh: connect to host 10.42.0.5 port 22: Connection refused

I couldn't solve this problem all the day !!!

thanks a lot
?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] ssh: connect to host pi adress port 22: Connection refused
@ 2016-01-25  6:16 ` Chris LaRocque
From: Chris LaRocque @ 2016-01-25  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

FrAnKenStEiN MC <chfakht@...> writes:

> i'm having some trouble when trying to
connect to my raspberry b+. i have used
**buildroot** with raspberrypi_defconfig
and add dropBear package for SSH , change
hostname to pi and root password to 123.
> make runned successfully and i was able
to deploy the necessary files on the pi

> I gave the pi a static adress
`10.42.0.5` and it's detected correctly in
my ethernet network
> here are some commands :
>
> ? ? nmap -sP 10.42.0.0/24
>
> ? ? Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org
) at 2016-01-25 02:23 WET
> ? ? Nmap scan report for 10.42.0.1
> ? ? Host is up (0.00017s latency).
> ? ? Nmap scan report for 10.42.0.5
> ? ? Host is up (0.0069s latency).
> ? ? Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (2 hosts
up) scanned in 2.61 seconds

> The pi adress is `10.42.0.5`
>
> For the ping it runs successfully
>
> ? ? ping -c 3 10.42.0.5
> ? ? PING 10.42.0.5 (10.42.0.5) 56(84)
bytes of data.
> ? ? 64 bytes from 10.42.0.5: icmp_seq=1
ttl=64 time=4.83 ms
> ? ? 64 bytes from 10.42.0.5: icmp_seq=2
ttl=64 time=3.03 ms
> ? ? 64 bytes from 10.42.0.5: icmp_seq=3
ttl=64 time=2.03 ms
> ? ??
> ? ? --- 10.42.0.5 ping statistics ---
> ? ? 3 packets transmitted, 3 received,
0% packet loss, time 2003ms
> ? ? rtt min/avg/max/mdev =
2.035/3.303/4.836/1.158 ms

> But whe trying ssh i get `connection
refused`

> ? ? ssh pi <at> 10.42.0.5
>
> ? ? ssh: connect to host 10.42.0.5 port
22: Connection refused

> I couldn't solve this problem all the
day !!!

> thanks a lot
>
> ?

buildroot

Hello Frank

I had a similar problem when starting with
my beaglebone black. Set the filesystem to
be mounted read/write. I suspect that
dropbear needs to write the ssh key to
file.

Regards

Chris

* [Buildroot] ssh: connect to host pi adress port 22: Connection refused
@ 2016-01-25  8:36   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-01-25  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Chris LaRocque,

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 06:16:13 +0000 (UTC), Chris LaRocque wrote:

> I had a similar problem when starting with
> my beaglebone black. Set the filesystem to
> be mounted read/write. I suspect that
> dropbear needs to write the ssh key to
> file.

It shouldn't be the case. In S50dropbear, we specifically handle the
case of a read-only root filesystem, there's been some work done on
this a few months ago.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] ssh: connect to host pi adress port 22: Connection refused
@ 2016-01-25  8:37 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2016-01-25  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 02:37:18 +0000, FrAnKenStEiN MC wrote:

> But whe trying ssh i get `connection refused`
>
>     ssh pi at 10.42.0.5
>     ssh: connect to host 10.42.0.5 port 22: Connection refused
>
> I couldn't solve this problem all the day !!!

Plug a serial port adapter on your RPi, and look at the boot messages,
and see if dropbear gets started, and if it does, see if there are any
error message.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2016-01-25  9:01     ` Chris LaRocque
From: Chris LaRocque @ 2016-01-25  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thanks Thomas

On Jan 25, 2016 09:36, "Thomas Petazzoni" <
thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:

> Dear Chris LaRocque,
>
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 06:16:13 +0000 (UTC), Chris LaRocque wrote:
>
> > I had a similar problem when starting with
> > my beaglebone black. Set the filesystem to
> > be mounted read/write. I suspect that
> > dropbear needs to write the ssh key to
> > file.
>
> It shouldn't be the case. In S50dropbear, we specifically handle the
> case of a read-only root filesystem, there's been some work done on
> this a few months ago.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
> Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
> http://free-electrons.com

I'm certain that's the case but suggesting that the individual set
read/write is immediate feedback toward a solution and gets that individual
thinking about diagnosing the nature of the fault.

:-)

Regards

Chris

Pushing back the boundaries of ignorance.

@ 2016-01-25 22:17   ` Peter Seiderer
From: Peter Seiderer @ 2016-01-25 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello FrAnKenStEiN MC,

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 09:37:23 +0100, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 02:37:18 +0000, FrAnKenStEiN MC wrote:
>
> > But whe trying ssh i get `connection refused`
> >
> >     ssh pi at 10.42.0.5
> >     ssh: connect to host 10.42.0.5 port 22: Connection refused
> >
> > I couldn't solve this problem all the day !!!
>
> Plug a serial port adapter on your RPi, and look at the boot messages,
> and see if dropbear gets started, and if it does, see if there are any
> error message.

With buildroot from git (as of today) it worked for me (both cases ro and rw
root filesystem)...., any chance to plugin a hdmi monitor (besides from a
serial console) to get access to the last lines of boot messages?
Mind to share your buildroot config file? How did you configure your ip
adress, via cmdline.txt?

Regards,
Peter

@ 2016-01-26  0:56     ` FrAnKenStEiN MC
From: FrAnKenStEiN MC @ 2016-01-26  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all, the problem is that i have used *ssh pi at 10.42.0.5 <pi@10.42.0.5> *to
connect (this is because i defined the hostname to be "pi" but it seems
after login with root that the username pi doesn't exist by running
cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd)
i'm now connected by *ssh root at 10.42.0.5 <root@10.42.0.5>  *
i want to know why i can't login with the pi (or maybe the hostname means
something else ) ?
and by using HDMI i could see in the last line *pi login : *appears ...
thanks

?

@ 2016-01-26 12:27       ` Chris LaRocque
From: Chris LaRocque @ 2016-01-26 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Ah, yes. You should review the buildroot documentation on the topic of
adding users.

Glad you sorted it out.