* Interested in contributing code to LKSCTP
@ 2012-10-31  8:22 Sreeram BS
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Sreeram BS @ 2012-10-31  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

Hi,
   I am Sreeram. I browsed through the LKSCTP website. I am interested
in contributing code to this project and hence sending  a mail to this
mailing list.
I request you to kindly guide me with the first steps for contributing
to this project and from where to start with.

Regards,
Sreeram

* Re: Interested in contributing code to LKSCTP
@ 2012-10-31 12:55 ` Neil Horman
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Neil Horman @ 2012-10-31 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 01:40:59PM +0530, Sreeram BS wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am Sreeram. I browsed through the LKSCTP website. I am interested
> in contributing code to this project and hence sending  a mail to this
> mailing list.
> I request you to kindly guide me with the first steps for contributing
> to this project and from where to start with.
>
> Regards,
> Sreeram
Start with The SubmittingPatches document in the Documentation subdirectory of
the kernel tree.  That will tell you steps in submitting a patch (note that sctp
patches come to this list and netdev rather than linux-kernel).  As for what to
work on, that really depends on where your needs intersect your interests.
Neil

* Re: Interested in contributing code to LKSCTP
@ 2012-11-02  8:14 ` Sreeram BS
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Sreeram BS @ 2012-11-02  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman@tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 01:40:59PM +0530, Sreeram BS wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    I am Sreeram. I browsed through the LKSCTP website. I am interested
>> in contributing code to this project and hence sending  a mail to this
>> mailing list.
>> I request you to kindly guide me with the first steps for contributing
>> to this project and from where to start with.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sreeram
> Start with The SubmittingPatches document in the Documentation subdirectory of
> the kernel tree.  That will tell you steps in submitting a patch (note that sctp
> patches come to this list and netdev rather than linux-kernel).  As for what to
> work on, that really depends on where your needs intersect your interests.
> Neil
>
>> --

Thanks Neil for the suggestions and pointers you have provided.
I shall start with SubmittingPatches document.
Also, I was curious to know how to pick up things in which I wish to
work on and contribute. I mean, what is the method where I get to know
the list of items that need to be worked upon, and who is working on
which item (to avoid duplication) etc.
Kindly suggest.

Regards,
Sreeram

* Re: Interested in contributing code to LKSCTP
@ 2012-11-02  9:53 ` Dilip Daya
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dilip Daya @ 2012-11-02  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

Hi Sreeram,

On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 15:15 +0530, Sreeram BS wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Sreeram BS <sreeramabs@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Start with The SubmittingPatches document in the Documentation subdirectory of
> >> the kernel tree.  That will tell you steps in submitting a patch (note that sctp
> >> patches come to this list and netdev rather than linux-kernel).  As for what to
> >> work on, that really depends on where your needs intersect your interests.
> >> Neil

> > Thanks Neil for the suggestions and pointers you have provided.
> > I shall start with SubmittingPatches document.
> > Also, I was curious to know how to pick up things in which I wish to
> > work on and contribute. I mean, what is the method where I get to know
> > the list of items that need to be worked upon, and who is working on
> > which item (to avoid duplication) etc.
> > Kindly suggest.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sreeram
>
> I am unable to find 'The SubmittingPatches' document in the
> Documentation section.
> I am referring to link http://lksctp.sourceforge.net/index.html. I
> also downloaded the lksctp-tools package and scanned through the 'doc'
> subdirectory, but could not find it there also.
> I request you to kindly guide me to this document, please.

Please see:
- http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

Thanks.
-DilipD.

> Regards,
> Sreeram

* Re: Interested in contributing code to LKSCTP
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-11-02  9:57 ` Sreeram BS
From: Sreeram BS @ 2012-11-02  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Sreeram BS <sreeramabs@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman@tuxdriver.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 01:40:59PM +0530, Sreeram BS wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>    I am Sreeram. I browsed through the LKSCTP website. I am interested
>>> in contributing code to this project and hence sending  a mail to this
>>> mailing list.
>>> I request you to kindly guide me with the first steps for contributing
>>> to this project and from where to start with.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sreeram
>> Start with The SubmittingPatches document in the Documentation subdirectory of
>> the kernel tree.  That will tell you steps in submitting a patch (note that sctp
>> patches come to this list and netdev rather than linux-kernel).  As for what to
>> work on, that really depends on where your needs intersect your interests.
>> Neil
>>
>>> --
>>>
> Thanks Neil for the suggestions and pointers you have provided.
> I shall start with SubmittingPatches document.
> Also, I was curious to know how to pick up things in which I wish to
> work on and contribute. I mean, what is the method where I get to know
> the list of items that need to be worked upon, and who is working on
> which item (to avoid duplication) etc.
> Kindly suggest.
>
> Regards,
> Sreeram

I am unable to find 'The SubmittingPatches' document in the
Documentation section.
I am referring to link http://lksctp.sourceforge.net/index.html. I
also downloaded the lksctp-tools package and scanned through the 'doc'
subdirectory, but could not find it there also.
I request you to kindly guide me to this document, please.

Regards,
Sreeram

* Re: Interested in contributing code to LKSCTP
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-11-02 11:58 ` Sreeram BS
From: Sreeram BS @ 2012-11-02 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Dilip Daya <dilip.daya@hp.com> wrote:
> Hi Sreeram,
>
> On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 15:15 +0530, Sreeram BS wrote:

>> > Thanks Neil for the suggestions and pointers you have provided.
>> > I shall start with SubmittingPatches document.
>> > Also, I was curious to know how to pick up things in which I wish to
>> > work on and contribute. I mean, what is the method where I get to know
>> > the list of items that need to be worked upon, and who is working on
>> > which item (to avoid duplication) etc.
>> > Kindly suggest.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Sreeram
>>
>> I am unable to find 'The SubmittingPatches' document in the
>> Documentation section.
>> I am referring to link http://lksctp.sourceforge.net/index.html. I
>> also downloaded the lksctp-tools package and scanned through the 'doc'
>> subdirectory, but could not find it there also.
>> I request you to kindly guide me to this document, please.
>
> Please see:
> - http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
>

> Thanks.
> -DilipD.

Thanks Dilip for the URL.

Regards,
Sreeram

* Re: Interested in contributing code to LKSCTP
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-11-06  8:17 ` Sreeram BS
From: Sreeram BS @ 2012-11-06  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-sctp

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Sreeram BS <sreeramabs@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:23 PM, Dilip Daya <dilip.daya@hp.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sreeram,

>>> I am unable to find 'The SubmittingPatches' document in the
>>> Documentation section.
>>> I am referring to link http://lksctp.sourceforge.net/index.html. I
>>> also downloaded the lksctp-tools package and scanned through the 'doc'
>>> subdirectory, but could not find it there also.
>>> I request you to kindly guide me to this document, please.
>>
>> Please see:
>> - http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
>>

>> Thanks.
>> -DilipD.
>>
> Thanks Dilip for the URL.
>
> Regards,
> Sreeram

Hi,
    I am now going through the documentation of SCTP, which comes
along with the lksctp-tools package. It is really interesting. While
reading these docs, one idea struck me. I noticed that there is no
example-code being shipped along with the package (other than one
server program which is in draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-14.txt file). I
thought that it would be a good idea for me to start with writing
these small example code-snippets(programs) and submit them to get
those included in the package. The intent behind is that any novice
reader who would like to have an example program for many of the
features provided by  SCTP, then he could make use of these programs
in the *Examples* directory. [Also, writing these programs would make
my understanding of SCTP stronger.]
    I don't know if my thinking is in the right direction and helpful
to the community. Hence, I request you to share your comments on my
thoughts so that I can decide whether to proceed in this direction or
not.

Please share your comments.

Regards,
Sreeram