* Xen ARM community call - meeting minutes and date for the next one
@ 2017-03-28 15:23 Julien Grall
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-03-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel
  Cc: Edgar E. Iglesias, lars.kurth, Stefano Stabellini,
	Volodymyr Babchuk, Artem_Mygaiev, thkatsios, anastassios.nanos

Hi all,

Apologies for the late sending, you will find at the end of the e-mail a
summary of the discussion from the previous call. Feel free to reply if I
missed some parts.

I suggest to have the next call on the 5th April at 5PM UTC. Any opinions?

Also do you have any specific topic you would like to talk during this call?

Cheers,

== Attendees ==

Apologies if I misspelled any name.

Stefano, Aporeto
Julien, ARM
Oleksandr, EPAM
Artem, EPAM
Thanasis, OnApp
Volodymir, EPAM

== Xen on ARM status ==

Over 100 patches in-flight for Xen on ARM:
    - PV protocols: Some are already accepted
    - NUMA support
    - GICv3 ITS support
    - Exposing and emulating a PL011 for guest
    - guest SMC forwarding for Xilinx platform
    - Interrupt latency improvement

== PV protocols ==

* PV protocols written by Stefano was merged after 10 months

Stefano: PV protocols review are moving faster
Attendees agreed

* Audio protocol: close to be accepted
* Display protocol: minor issue, a bit more design is required

Hopefully both will be ready for Xen 4.9

Oleksandr: What to do when the backend die?

(I cannot find any notes on it some I am not sure if we answered the question
during the call. I suspect it has been asked to bring up the subject on the ML).

== Interrupt latency ==

Stefano: Some improvement has been done but it is not possible to know whether
it is good. Do you have any specific IRQ latency requirements?

Artem: There is no hard latency requirements in automotive, although many
requirements depends on latency. For example:
    * Scheduling
    * GPU (implementation is sentive to interrupt latency)

Automotive is using a set of benchmark to find the virtualization overhead. This
should be low.

ACTION: Artem to send a list of benchmark

== SMC/HVC handling in Xen ==

Artem: Please review the proposal on the mailing list. See:

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-03/msg00430.html

== Deprivilege mode ==

EPAM are working on adding support for OP-TEE in Xen to allow multiple guest
access the trusted firmware.

During the discussion on the design, it was suggested to move the SMC handling
in a separate domain. This was tested using the VM event API and Mini-OS
(upstream with Chen Baozi's series to support ARM64). The first results
shows it is 10 times slower than handling SMC calls directly in the hypervisor.

Volodymir is working on another approach to deprivilege the execution by
implementing a Xen EL0.

== big.LITTLE support ==

Thanasis: Document discussed on the ML. Xen will split CPUs at boot time
(big vs little). A series will be sent on the on the ML soon.

--
Julien Grall

* Xen ARM community call - meeting minutes and date for the next one
@ 2017-04-20 16:44 Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2017-04-20 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini, Oleksandr Andrushchenko, Volodymyr Babchuk,
	Edgar E. Iglesias, anastassios.nanos
  Cc: lars.kurth, julien.grall, xen-devel

Hi all,

Below the meeting minutes for the previous Xen community call. Feel free to
reply if I missed some parts.

I suggest to have the next call on the 3rd May at 5PM BST. Any opinions.

Also, do you have any specific topic you would like to talk during this
call?

Cheers,

== Attendees ==

Stefano, Aporeto
Julien, ARM
Oleksandr, EPAM
Volodymir, EPAM
Edgar, Xilinx
Anasatasios, OnApp

== SMC and EL0 App ==

Some SMC call may be sensitive to latency (e.g power down).

Stefano: We would need to be able to decide whether SMC are emulated in
EL0 or EL2.

Edgar: Shall I wait EL0 App support before resending the series to
forward SMC on Zynqmp [1]?

Answer: No need to wait, the current approach is fine for now.

Xen EL0 update from Volodymir:
     * Thread started on xen-devel (see [2])
     * Stefano suggested to create and share a small example
     * Plan -> Post the patches on github + writing document

== IOMMU ==

Xen does not support the generic IOMMU bindings.

ACTION: Needs to be fixed ASAP. Potentially on Xen 4.9?

== Reserve region support in DT ==

Reserve region is not mapped in DOM0, though they should be mapped. DMA
API will allocate memory for those regions.

There was a discussion about that few months ago (see [3]). This would
need to be followed-up.

== Cross-compiling ==

Anastasios: We are looking at support Xen in Buildroot. The use case is
a small initramfs.

Potential task: Keep Xen updated on buildroot. Anastasios could help on
that.

Stefano: Xen is compiling fine with Yocto.

ACTION: Stefano to write a wiki page about using meta-virtualization on
Yocto.

Release update
--------------

Stefano might keep a branch around to keep patches which target the next
release.

[1]
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-02/msg00634.html
[2]
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-04/msg01002.html
[3] https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-11/msg02295.html

--
Julien Grall

* Re: Xen ARM community call - meeting minutes and date for the next one
@ 2017-03-30 20:24 Artem Mygaiev
From: Artem Mygaiev @ 2017-03-30 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volodymyr Babchuk
  Cc: Edgar E. Iglesias, lars.kurth, Stefano Stabellini, thkatsios,
	Julien Grall, anastassios.nanos, xen-devel, nd

Lets make it clear - there must be one translation table for EL0 apps...

On Mar 30, 2017 23:18, Volodymyr Babchuk <vlad.babchuk@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Julien,

On 30 March 2017 at 22:57, Julien Grall <julien.grall@arm.com> wrote:
> Hi Volodymyr
>
> On 30/03/2017 20:19, Volodymyr Babchuk wrote:
>>
>> On 30 March 2017 at 21:52, Stefano Stabellini <sstabellini@kernel.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Volodymyr Babchuk wrote:
>>
>> And yes, my profiler shows that there are ways to further decrease
>> latency. Most obvious way is to get rid of 2nd stage translation and
>> thus eliminate p2m code from the call chain. Currently hypervisor
>> spends 20% of time in spinlocks code and about ~10-15% in p2m. So
>> there definitely are areas to improve :)
>

> Correct me if I am wrong. You are suggesting to remove stage-2 MMU
> translation, right? If so, what are the benefits to have some Xen code
> running at EL0?
Because that will be loadable code :) Also, this will provide some
degree of isolation as this code will communicate with Xen only via
SVCs.

Look, we need two stages in the first place because conventional guest
wants to control own MMU. But Xen native app (lets call it in this
way) should not control MMU. In my hack I had to create stage-1 table
with 1:1 mapping to make things work. Actually.... it just came to me
that I can try to disable stage 1 MMU and leave only stage 2. Not sure
if it is possible, need to check TRM...
But, anyways, my initial idea was to disable second stage MMU (drop VM
bit in HCR_EL2) and program only TTBR0_EL1 with friends. With this
approach there will be no need to save/restore p2m context when I
switch from guest context to app context and back.

--
WBR Volodymyr Babchuk aka lorc [+380976646013]
mailto: vlad.babchuk@gmail.com

* Xen ARM community call - meeting minutes and date for the next one
@ 2016-12-06 13:48 Julien Grall
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Julien Grall @ 2016-12-06 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Stabellini, Edgar E. Iglesias, Artem Mygaiev,
	Andrii Anisov, Alex_Agizim, stewart.hildebrand,
	Edgar E. Iglesias, Meng Xu, Dirk Behme, anastassios.nanos,
	Dario Faggioli
  Cc: Lars Kurth, Xen Devel

Hi all,

Apologies for the late sending. You will find at the end of the mail a summary
of the discussion. Feel free to reply if I missed some parts.

At the end of the call we agreed to have another meeting before the end of the
year. Given that the Christmas is approaching and some people may take holidays
around, I would suggest to do the meeting on Wednesday 14th December at 4pm
UTC. Any opinions?

Also, do you have any specific topic you would like to talk during the next call?

Cheers,

== Attendees ==

Apologies if I misspelled any name.

* Stefano Stabellini:
    Aporeto, Xen ARM maintainer
* Julien Grall
    ARM, Xen ARM maintainer
* Artem Mygaiev, Andrii Anisov, Alexandre Agizim:
    EPAM, Embedded and automotive application for Xen
* Steward Hildebrand:
    Dornerworks, help customer to use Xen in their product
* Edgar Iglesias:
    Xilinx, Embedded and datacenter application
* Meng Xu:
    University of Pennsylvania, RT Xen. Looking for improving performance for
    real-time application in virtualised environment
* Bosch (sorry I forgot the name of the attendees): Car multimedia
* Anastassios Nanos:
    OnApp, using Xen on lower power server
* Dario Faggioli:
    Citrix, scheduler maintainer. Interested in following big.LITTLE discussion

== Features ==

=== Co-processor architecture ===

Artem:  EPAM is working on a co-processor framework to share resources between
        guests (see a RFC of the design document [1]). A prototype has been
        created by sharing a GPU between guests, the overhead is ~5% compare
        to native.
Julien: concerned about context switch time
Stefano: concerned about the size of the emulator and security impact
Edgar:  it might not be possible to know the FPGA accelerator when building
        Xen.
Stefano: having the emulator in Xen EL1 would be better for protection
Andrii: it is not necessary to implement a full co-processor emulator. It is
        sufficient to emulation the behavior on register write.

ACTION: Continue the discussion on the mailing list.

=== big.LITTLE ===

Anastassios:    interested in knowing the status of big.LITTLE support in Xen
Dario:          went through the thread on the ML. The consensus seems to be
                based on vcpu pin/affinity.
Anastassios:    There are issue the way xen handles boot code. Wrong errata
                for cpus.
Julien:         Core could have different errata and features. Errata already
                works today.
                We need a summary of the discussion.

Dario stepped in to write a summary.

Anastassios:    What is the best board to work big.LITTLE with Xen?

?:              Renesas

ACTION: Dario to write a summary of the big.LITTLE discussions.

=== Secure Call Monitor (SMC) from guests ===

Andrii/Artem:   EPAM is working on allowing a guest to make call to TEE (e.g
                OPTEE). They are working in collaboration with Linaro to
                make OPTEE  virtualization aware. A design document has been
                posted on the ML (see [3]).
Edgar:          interested on this. Trusted world need to be accessed to
                manage FPGA and for power management

=== Running unmodified baremetal software in a guest ===

Edgar:          Xilinx is working on running unmodified baremetal software
                in a guest. Piece of work required:
                    - Mapping memory area with different memory attribut
                      to domU
                    - Replicate host memory map
                    - Exposing a vUART to guest (see [4] for the discussion)
Steward:        vUART is very important, especially for baremetal guests
Stefano:        it would need to be loggable
Julien:         we would have the same issue in the future to be compliant
                with the VM Spec (see [5]).

=== Areas of concern ===

Bosch: problem with xen-swiotlb. It does not work properly on renesas board.
Stefano: please report the error on the ML

ACTION: Bosch to send a bug report regarding xen-swiotlb

Edgar:  IOMMU could not be used by the guest (Stage-1). This would be useful
        to implement driver in userspace.
Julien: When will it be required?
Edgar:  It is a trend

Julien: Should we organized another Community Call? When?
Artem: Once per month is a good start

All: Agreed on a call before Christmas

[1] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-10/msg01966.html
[2] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-09/msg01802.html