* anyone using docker for OE builds?
@ 2016-04-15  1:44 Cliff Brake
From: Cliff Brake @ 2016-04-15  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

I've been using systemd-nspawn containers for OE builds for some
years, and lately have been investigating Docker.  Seems like useful
tool, but a little concerned about managing 35GB build trees in Docker
(I already ran my workstation out of disk space once).

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for using Docker to host OE
builds -- especially the storage aspect?

Thanks,
Cliff

--
=================
http://bec-systems.com

* Re: anyone using docker for OE builds?
@ 2016-04-15  7:18 ` Pascal Bach
From: Pascal Bach @ 2016-04-15  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi Cliff

On 15.04.2016 03:44, Cliff Brake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using systemd-nspawn containers for OE builds for some
> years, and lately have been investigating Docker.  Seems like useful
> tool, but a little concerned about managing 35GB build trees in Docker
> (I already ran my workstation out of disk space once).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for using Docker to host OE
> builds -- especially the storage aspect?

We are using docker to build several OE based products in conjunction with GitLab CI.
The only special thing we do at the moment it that we mount the sstate and download folder as a volume into the container.
This we do mostly to save some time.

But of course you need enough space in your docker runtime directory to store the docker containers while the builds are running. After that we (actually gitlab ci) usually delete the containers and the space gets freed again.

Pascal

* Re: anyone using docker for OE builds?
@ 2016-04-15 15:21 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-04-15 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenEmbedded Devel List

Hello Cliff,

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:44 PM, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for using Docker to host OE
> builds -- especially the storage aspect?

Some of us here, at O.S. Systems, are using it as we migrated for Arch
Linux and we use Docker container (Debian 8) as build environment.
This works very well and we mount the $HOME as a volume so storage is
not a problem.

We are now in the process of int

* Re: anyone using docker for OE builds?
@ 2016-04-15 15:23   ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2016-04-15 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: OpenEmbedded Devel List

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Otavio Salvador
<otavio@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Hello Cliff,
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:44 PM, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for using Docker to host OE
>> builds -- especially the storage aspect?
>
> Some of us here, at O.S. Systems, are using it as we migrated for Arch
> Linux and we use Docker container (Debian 8) as build environment.
> This works very well and we mount the $HOME as a volume so storage is
> not a problem.
>
> We are now in the process of int

(pressed Send too soon)

We are now in the process of integrating it into our autobuilder
structure so we are going to use it to mix different distributions for
test.

* Re: anyone using docker for OE builds?
@ 2016-04-21 19:09     ` Cliff Brake
From: Cliff Brake @ 2016-04-21 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Otavio Salvador

Thanks for all the information.

After a week or so experimenting with Docker, I've come up with a
solution I like:

https://hub.docker.com/r/cbrake/oe-build/

Also wrote about it here:

http://bec-systems.com/site/1281/using-docker-for-oeyocto-builds

Thanks,
Cliff

* Re: anyone using docker for OE builds?
@ 2016-04-22 18:14       ` Nicolas Dechesne
From: Nicolas Dechesne @ 2016-04-22 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: Otavio Salvador

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:09 PM, Cliff Brake <cbrake@bec-systems.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the information.
>
> After a week or so experimenting with Docker, I've come up with a
> solution I like:
>
> https://hub.docker.com/r/cbrake/oe-build/
>
> Also wrote about it here:
>
> http://bec-systems.com/site/1281/using-docker-for-oeyocto-builds

thanks for the write up.. that got me into finally looking at it ;-)

is there a (nice) solution in case my host UID/GID isn't 1000/1000? I
definitely need to mount volumes for the persistent data , but i need
to be able to read/write these volumes from containers and host, so
ideally i would like my containers to inherit UID/GID from an existing
user on the host.