* linux's make oldconfig: Save in addition to [N/m/y/?], and ctrl-[C/\] to abort
@ 2013-09-07 10:52 Regid Ichira
From: Regid Ichira @ 2013-09-07 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: debian-user; +Cc: linux-config, debian-kernel

  I find it useful to have the kernel configuration automatically
pointing out only the NEW kernel configuration options.  Quite often,
the kernel's

    $ make oldconfig

takes a long time.  In particular, when I am trying to find out more
information on the NEW features.  The options that I am aware of when
in the middle of make oldconfig are
  1. [N/m/y/?] (and sometime one of these, say m, is not applicable)
  2. ctrl-[C/\] to abort
Do you agree that besides it is desirable to have a Save to file
option?  That is,
  (3. Save to file and continue to configure)
This way, one might be able to return to where the work was left in
the middle.
  In addition, probably a
  (4. Quit)
is also required, so that one can leave the configuration process in
an orderly manner.

* Re: linux's make oldconfig: Save in addition to [N/m/y/?], and ctrl-[C/\] to abort
@ 2013-09-07 23:55 ` Tom H
       [not found]   ` <20130910223309.GE8821@nt1.in>
From: Tom H @ 2013-09-07 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Regid Ichira; +Cc: Debian User, linux-config, debian-kernel

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Regid Ichira <regid23@nt1.in> wrote:

> I find it useful to have the kernel configuration automatically
> pointing out only the NEW kernel configuration options.  Quite often,
> the kernel's
>
>     $ make oldconfig
>
> takes a long time.  In particular, when I am trying to find out more
> information on the NEW features.  The options that I am aware of when
> in the middle of make oldconfig are
>   1. [N/m/y/?] (and sometime one of these, say m, is not applicable)
>   2. ctrl-[C/\] to abort
> Do you agree that besides it is desirable to have a Save to file
> option?  That is,
>   (3. Save to file and continue to configure)
> This way, one might be able to return to where the work was left in
> the middle.
>   In addition, probably a
>   (4. Quit)
> is also required, so that one can leave the configuration process in
> an orderly manner.

You can do

yes "" | make oldconfig > oldconfig-output.txt
grep "(NEW)" oldconfig-output.txt

to see all the new options.

* Re: linux's make oldconfig: Save in addition to [N/m/y/?], and ctrl-[C/\] to abort
@ 2013-09-08  1:06   ` Regid Ichira
       [not found]   ` <20130910223309.GE8821@nt1.in>
From: Regid Ichira @ 2013-09-08  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom H; +Cc: Debian User, linux-config, debian-kernel

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 07:55:51PM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Regid Ichira <regid23@nt1.in> wrote:
> >
> > I find it useful to have the kernel configuration automatically
> > pointing out only the NEW kernel configuration options.  Quite often,
> > the kernel's
> >
> >     $ make oldconfig
> >
> > takes a long time.  In particular, when I am trying to find out more
> > information on the NEW features.  The options that I am aware of when
> > in the middle of make oldconfig are
> >   1. [N/m/y/?] (and sometime one of these, say m, is not applicable)
> >   2. ctrl-[C/\] to abort
> > Do you agree that besides it is desirable to have a Save to file
> > option?  That is,
> >   (3. Save to file and continue to configure)
> > This way, one might be able to return to where the work was left in
> > the middle.
> >   In addition, probably a
> >   (4. Quit)
> > is also required, so that one can leave the configuration process in
> > an orderly manner.
>
> You can do
>
> yes "" | make oldconfig > oldconfig-output.txt
> grep "(NEW)" oldconfig-output.txt
>
> to see all the new options.

  I meant the operation after I skimmed the new options.  Suppose I
did what you suggested.  Now I run make oldconfig in order to actually
create a new config, based on a current one.  And that is taking me
more time then I thought it would.  So I want to manually save what
I did so far.  Perhaps there is an unexpected shutdown within 5
minutes. Or I have to spend some time on other issues. Or whatever.
How would I save my current work?
If you'll remember that most editors (automatically) create backups
for the current work every 1 hour, or so, you might better understand
what I meant.

@ 2013-09-11 12:10     ` Tom H
From: Tom H @ 2013-09-11 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Regid Ichira; +Cc: Debian User, debian-kernel, linux-config

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Regid Ichira <regid23@nt1.in> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:55:08PM -0400, John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell wrote:
>>
>> 2) you can run make oldconfig to get a recycled config without
>> running in text interactive mode [y/n/m]. read the directions.
>
> Do you mean the yes pipe that Tom H <tomh ... gmail.com> was
> referring to ealier in this thread? But you can not get a thoughtful
> config file by that manner. I mean, I don't want a kernel with lots
> of features I don't need. And I am trying to both config the kernel
> AND learn what new features that are of interest to me were added.

I wasn't suggesting that you use the config generated by 'yes "" |
...' only that you use it to list the new config options.

Looking at "make help", there's (now?) a "make listnewconfig" option
to do just that.

Regarding interrupting "make oldconfig", I don't see any option at the
moment except run "make menuconfig", set some options, save the
config, exit, and return to make menuconfig" later.