* [WIC] Grow last partition up to disk size
@ 2020-04-30 17:39 Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2020-04-30 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto list discussion

I was looking for a way in a wks file to have wic grow the last
partition to fill up the remainder of the disk. Of course wic does not
know how large the disk is but that could be a parameter.

The alternative way is to use fixed-size and do the math manually but
that would not allow wic to grow a partition based on content.

:rjs

* Re: [yocto] [WIC] Grow last partition up to disk size
@ 2020-04-30 18:16 ` Marek Belisko
From: Marek Belisko @ 2020-04-30 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

Hi Rudolf,

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:39 PM Rudolf J Streif
<rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com> wrote:

> I was looking for a way in a wks file to have wic grow the last
> partition to fill up the remainder of the disk. Of course wic does not
> know how large the disk is but that could be a parameter.
>
> The alternative way is to use fixed-size and do the math manually but
> that would not allow wic to grow a partition based on content.
You can use https://manpages.debian.org/testing/systemd/systemd-growfs.8.en.html
which grow partition to the end.

> :rjs

BR,

marek

--
as simple and primitive as possible
Marek Belisko - OPEN-NANDRA

Tel: +421 915 052 184
skype: marekwhite
twitter: #opennandra
web: http://open-nandra.com

* Re: [yocto] [WIC] Grow last partition up to disk size
@ 2020-04-30 18:23   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-04-30 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On 4/30/20 11:16 AM, Marek Belisko wrote:
> Hi Rudolf,
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:39 PM Rudolf J Streif
> <rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was looking for a way in a wks file to have wic grow the last
>> partition to fill up the remainder of the disk. Of course wic does not
>> know how large the disk is but that could be a parameter.
>>
>> The alternative way is to use fixed-size and do the math manually but
>> that would not allow wic to grow a partition based on content.
> You can use https://manpages.debian.org/testing/systemd/systemd-growfs.8.en.html
> which grow partition to the end.

can it grow a mounted partition ? since that will be the case when
growing rootfs partition.

@ 2020-04-30 18:25     ` Marek Belisko
From: Marek Belisko @ 2020-04-30 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/30/20 11:16 AM, Marek Belisko wrote:
> > Hi Rudolf,
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:39 PM Rudolf J Streif
> > <rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I was looking for a way in a wks file to have wic grow the last
> >> partition to fill up the remainder of the disk. Of course wic does not
> >> know how large the disk is but that could be a parameter.
> >>
> >> The alternative way is to use fixed-size and do the math manually but
> >> that would not allow wic to grow a partition based on content.
> > You can use https://manpages.debian.org/testing/systemd/systemd-growfs.8.en.html
> > which grow partition to the end.
>
> can it grow a mounted partition ? since that will be the case when
> growing rootfs partition.
It will grow last partition in first boot only.

> >> :rjs
> >>

> > BR,
> >
> > marek

BR,

marek

--

@ 2020-04-30 18:27       ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-04-30 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On 4/30/20 11:25 AM, Marek Belisko wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 8:23 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 4/30/20 11:16 AM, Marek Belisko wrote:
>>> Hi Rudolf,

>>> You can use https://manpages.debian.org/testing/systemd/systemd-growfs.8.en.html
>>> which grow partition to the end.
>>
>> can it grow a mounted partition ? since that will be the case when
>> growing rootfs partition.
> It will grow last partition in first boot only.

my question was will it grow a mounted rootfs parition if that happens
tobe the last partition, I understand it will grow last partion and do
it as firstboot service.

@ 2020-04-30 18:30         ` Marek Belisko
       [not found]           ` <160AAEA430561E1B.4948@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Marek Belisko @ 2020-04-30 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 8:27 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/30/20 11:25 AM, Marek Belisko wrote:

> >> can it grow a mounted partition ? since that will be the case when
> >> growing rootfs partition.
> > It will grow last partition in first boot only.
>
> my question was will it grow a mounted rootfs parition if that happens
> tobe the last partition, I understand it will grow last partion and do
> it as firstboot service.
I usually use it in case when have dual rootfs (A, B) and data
partition which is expanded to then end of disk.
I don't have experience with growing rootfs (I think it can grow only
not mounted partitions)

> > BR,
> >
> > marek

marek

--

@ 2020-04-30 19:10           ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
       [not found]           ` <160AAEA430561E1B.4948@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2020-04-30 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

Hi

Well I have write something like this

[Unit]
Description=Increases rootfs image size to fit partition
Requires=dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-rootfs.device
After=dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-rootfs.device

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/sgdisk /dev/disk/by-path/platform-ff0f0000.dwmmc -e
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/parted /dev/disk/by-path/platform-ff0f0000.dwmmc
-s "resizepart 4 -1" quit
ExecStart=/sbin/resize2fs /dev/disk/by-partlabel/rootfs
ExecStart=/bin/systemctl disable resize-rootfs.service

StandardOutput=journal+console

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

--
| Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi                     Amarula Solutions BV |
| COO  -  Founder                                      Cruquiuskade 47 |

@ 2020-04-30 19:13             ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2020-04-30 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

Hi

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:10 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi via
lists.yoctoproject.org
<michael=amarulasolutions.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Well I have write something like this
>
> [Unit]
> Description=Increases rootfs image size to fit partition
> Requires=dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-rootfs.device
> After=dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-rootfs.device
>
> [Service]
> Type=oneshot
> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/sgdisk /dev/disk/by-path/platform-ff0f0000.dwmmc -e

This resize gpt up to disk size

> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/parted /dev/disk/by-path/platform-ff0f0000.dwmmc
> -s "resizepart 4 -1" quit

This resize partition number 4 up to the max

Michael

@ 2020-04-30 23:11               ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2020-04-30 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3691 bytes --]

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.

Doing it dynamically on first boot would probably work as it is a data
partition and not the rootfs partition.

I will give it a try.

:rjs

On 4/30/20 12:13 PM, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:10 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi via
> lists.yoctoproject.org
> <michael=amarulasolutions.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Well I have write something like this
>>
>> [Unit]
>> Description=Increases rootfs image size to fit partition
>> Requires=dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-rootfs.device
>> After=dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-rootfs.device
>>
>> [Service]
>> Type=oneshot
>> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/sgdisk /dev/disk/by-path/platform-ff0f0000.dwmmc -e
> This resize gpt up to disk size
>
>> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/parted /dev/disk/by-path/platform-ff0f0000.dwmmc
>> -s "resizepart 4 -1" quit
> This resize partition number 4 up to the max
>
> Michael
>
>> ExecStart=/sbin/resize2fs /dev/disk/by-partlabel/rootfs
>> ExecStart=/bin/systemctl disable resize-rootfs.service
>>
>> StandardOutput=journal+console
>>
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=default.target

>>> I usually use it in case when have dual rootfs (A, B) and data
>>> partition which is expanded to then end of disk.
>>> I don't have experience with growing rootfs (I think it can grow only
>>> not mounted partitions)

>>> marek
>>>

>>> --
>>> as simple and primitive as possible
>>> Marek Belisko - OPEN-NANDRA
>>> Freelance Developer
>>>
>>> Ruska Nova Ves 219 | Presov, 08005 Slovak Republic
>>> Tel: +421 915 052 184
>>> skype: marekwhite
>>> twitter: #opennandra
>>> web: http://open-nandra.com
>>>

>> --
>> | Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi                     Amarula Solutions BV |
>> | COO  -  Founder                                      Cruquiuskade 47 |
>> | +31(0)851119172                                 Amsterdam 1018 AM NL |
>> |                  [`as] http://www.amarulasolutions.com               |

--
-----
Rudolf J Streif

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 6859 bytes --]

* Re: [yocto] [WIC] Grow last partition up to disk size
@ 2020-04-30 23:17                 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-04-30 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On 4/30/20 4:11 PM, Rudolf J Streif wrote:
> Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.
>
> Doing it dynamically on first boot would probably work as it is a data
> partition and not the rootfs partition.
>
> I will give it a try.

96boards-tools also has a script which works regardless of init systems

https://github.com/96boards/meta-96boards/blob/master/recipes-bsp/96boards-tools/96boards-tools_0.12.bb

> :rjs
>
> On 4/30/20 12:13 PM, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:10 PM Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi via
>> lists.yoctoproject.org
>> <michael=amarulasolutions.com@lists.yoctoproject.org>  wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Well I have write something like this
>>>
>>> [Unit]
>>> Description=Increases rootfs image size to fit partition
>>> Requires=dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-rootfs.device
>>> After=dev-disk-by\x2dpartlabel-rootfs.device
>>>
>>> [Service]
>>> Type=oneshot
>>> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/sgdisk /dev/disk/by-path/platform-ff0f0000.dwmmc -e
>> This resize gpt up to disk size
>>
>>> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/parted /dev/disk/by-path/platform-ff0f0000.dwmmc
>>> -s "resizepart 4 -1" quit
>> This resize partition number 4 up to the max
>>
>> Michael
>>
>>> ExecStart=/sbin/resize2fs /dev/disk/by-partlabel/rootfs
>>> ExecStart=/bin/systemctl disable resize-rootfs.service
>>>
>>> StandardOutput=journal+console
>>>
>>> [Install]
>>> WantedBy=default.target

>>> --
>>> | Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi                     Amarula Solutions BV |
>>> | COO  -  Founder                                      Cruquiuskade 47 |
>>> | +31(0)851119172                                 Amsterdam 1018 AM NL |
>>> |                  [`as]http://www.amarulasolutions.com                |
>>>

> --
> -----
> Rudolf J Streif
> CEO/CTO ibeeto
> +1.855.442.3386 x700

* Re: [WIC] Grow last partition up to disk size
@ 2020-05-01  6:47                 ` Gmane Admin
From: Gmane Admin @ 2020-05-01  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

Op 01-05-2020 om 01:11 schreef Rudolf J Streif:
> Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.
>
> Doing it dynamically on first boot would probably work as it is a data
> partition and not the rootfs partition.

If you use btrfs you can even resize the rootfs (mounted) partition.

@ 2020-05-01  7:06                   ` Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi
From: Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi @ 2020-05-01  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

Hi

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 8:47 AM Gmane Admin <gley-yocto@m.gmane-mx.org> wrote:

> Op 01-05-2020 om 01:11 schreef Rudolf J Streif:
> > Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.
> >
> > Doing it dynamically on first boot would probably work as it is a data
> > partition and not the rootfs partition.
>
> If you use btrfs you can even resize the rootfs (mounted) partition.

I don't said but the code I sent resize my rootfs

Michael

--

@ 2020-05-18  9:39     ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2020-05-18  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: Yocto list discussion

On 30-04-2020 20:23, Khem Raj via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:

> On 4/30/20 11:16 AM, Marek Belisko wrote:
>> Hi Rudolf,
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 7:39 PM Rudolf J Streif
>> <rudolf.streif@ibeeto.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was looking for a way in a wks file to have wic grow the last
>>> partition to fill up the remainder of the disk. Of course wic does not
>>> know how large the disk is but that could be a parameter.
>>>
>>> The alternative way is to use fixed-size and do the math manually but
>>> that would not allow wic to grow a partition based on content.
>> You can use
>> https://manpages.debian.org/testing/systemd/systemd-growfs.8.en.html
>> which grow partition to the end.
>
> can it grow a mounted partition ? since that will be the case when
> growing rootfs partition.

Yes, a mounted ext4 partition can be resized. Some tools will try to
keep you from doing that though, had to patch parted to stop whining
about mounted partitions in "scripted" mode that to make it work though.

https://github.com/topic-embedded-products/topic-platform/tree/zeus/meta-topic-platform/recipes-extended/parted

Here's the recipe that re-partitions the SD or eMMC on first boot after
programming a (small) wic image:

https://github.com/topic-embedded-products/topic-platform/tree/zeus/meta-topic-platform/recipes-topic/expand-wic-partition