* Ceph Nautilus Release T-shirt Design
@ 2019-01-16 17:46 Mike Perez
       [not found] ` <CAFFUGJdFsLF6fJZ-nR2RWqLj0vOpQMRcJqETwbc6EeQ7RW_bbw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Mike Perez @ 2019-01-16 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Development; +Cc: ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

Hey everyone,

We're getting close to the release of Ceph Nautilus, and I wanted to
start the discussion of our next shirt!

It looks like in the past we've used common works from Wikipedia pages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus

I thought it would be fun to see who in our community would like to
contribute to the next design. If we don't have any designers we can
also gather images and I can get something worked on that the
community can provide feedback on.

Lenz has provided this image that is currently being used for the 404
page of the dashboard:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/pybind/mgr/dashboard/frontend/src/assets/1280px-Nautilus_Octopus.jpg

I'm waiting to hear back from our vendor of how much notice they would
need to have the design ready for print on demand through the ceph
store

https://www.proforma.com/sdscommunitystore

--
Mike Perez (thingee)

* Re: Ceph Nautilus Release T-shirt Design
       [not found] ` <CAFFUGJdFsLF6fJZ-nR2RWqLj0vOpQMRcJqETwbc6EeQ7RW_bbw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-01-17 23:14   ` Tim Serong
       [not found]     ` <53a6ab5b-dc72-e786-d1ea-fdbb912e463c-IBi9RG/b67k@public.gmane.org>
From: Tim Serong @ 2019-01-17 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Perez, Ceph Development; +Cc: ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

On 01/17/2019 04:46 AM, Mike Perez wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> We're getting close to the release of Ceph Nautilus, and I wanted to
> start the discussion of our next shirt!
>
> It looks like in the past we've used common works from Wikipedia pages.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus
>
> I thought it would be fun to see who in our community would like to
> contribute to the next design. If we don't have any designers we can
> also gather images and I can get something worked on that the
> community can provide feedback on.
>
> Lenz has provided this image that is currently being used for the 404
> page of the dashboard:
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/pybind/mgr/dashboard/frontend/src/assets/1280px-Nautilus_Octopus.jpg

Nautilus *shells* are somewhat iconic/well known/distinctive.  Maybe a
variant of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nautilus_Section_cut.jpg
would be interesting on a t-shirt?

Regards,

Tim
--
Tim Serong
Senior Clustering Engineer

@ 2019-01-18  0:07       ` Anthony D'Atri
       [not found]         ` <H000007100130d1d.1547800766.sx.f1-outsourcing.eu*@MHS>
       [not found]         ` <DDEDCA80-F6C8-4B24-A92C-2F1698E25408-lmG3kWHAawoohuQDye/k0w@public.gmane.org>
From: Anthony D'Atri @ 2019-01-18  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Serong; +Cc: Ceph Development, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

>> Lenz has provided this image that is currently being used for the 404
>> page of the dashboard:
>>
>> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/pybind/mgr/dashboard/frontend/src/assets/1280px-Nautilus_Octopus.jpg
>
> Nautilus *shells* are somewhat iconic/well known/distinctive.  Maybe a
> variant of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nautilus_Section_cut.jpg
> would be interesting on a t-shirt?

I agree with Tim.  T shirts with photos can be tricky, it’s easy for them to look cheesy and they don’t age well.

In the same vein, something with a lower bit-depth and not non-cross-section might be slightly more recognizable:

https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/nautilus-vector-2806848

@ 2019-01-18  8:39           ` Marc Roos
From: Marc Roos @ 2019-01-18  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aad, tserong; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

Is there an overview of previous tshirts?

@ 2019-01-20  4:17   ` Alex Gorbachev
From: Alex Gorbachev @ 2019-01-20  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Perez; +Cc: Ceph Development, ceph-users

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:46 PM Mike Perez <miperez-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> We're getting close to the release of Ceph Nautilus, and I wanted to
> start the discussion of our next shirt!
>
> It looks like in the past we've used common works from Wikipedia pages.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautilus
>
> I thought it would be fun to see who in our community would like to
> contribute to the next design. If we don't have any designers we can
> also gather images and I can get something worked on that the
> community can provide feedback on.
>
> Lenz has provided this image that is currently being used for the 404
> page of the dashboard:
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/pybind/mgr/dashboard/frontend/src/assets/1280px-Nautilus_Octopus.jpg
>
> I'm waiting to hear back from our vendor of how much notice they would
> need to have the design ready for print on demand through the ceph
> store
>
> https://www.proforma.com/sdscommunitystore
>
> --
> Mike Perez (thingee)

I am nowhere near being an artist, but would the reference to Jules
Verne's trilogy be relevant at all being Nautilus "mobilis in mobili"
and the like references to dreaming up the future?
--
Alex Gorbachev
Storcium

@ 2019-02-14 23:05           ` Mike Perez
       [not found]             ` <CAFFUGJcX+NE=JQpzJ1T7qRQKWMUS-JT0B8VMuErnLr9PRkMUgQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Mike Perez @ 2019-02-14 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Roos; +Cc: ceph-devel, aad, ceph-users

Hi Marc,

You can see previous designs on the Ceph store:

@ 2019-02-15  9:39               ` Ilya Dryomov
       [not found]                 ` <CAOi1vP-dSDCeo7DziOrMyCTfP98jBnJzHtwAMA4msNp7SpoQnQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ilya Dryomov @ 2019-02-15  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Perez; +Cc: ceph-devel, aad, ceph-users

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:05 AM Mike Perez <miperez-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> You can see previous designs on the Ceph store:
>
> https://www.proforma.com/sdscommunitystore

Hi Mike,

This site stopped working during DevConf and hasn't been working since.
I think Greg has contacted some folks about this, but it would be great
if you could follow up because it's been a couple of weeks now...

Thanks,

                Ilya

@ 2019-02-15 10:40                   ` Willem Jan Withagen
       [not found]                     ` <789b6b9e-9d06-3a39-2ac3-485f148dd032-dOtk1Lsa4IaEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org>
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2019-02-15 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Dryomov, Mike Perez; +Cc: ceph-devel, aad, ceph-users

On 15/02/2019 10:39, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:05 AM Mike Perez <miperez-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> You can see previous designs on the Ceph store:
>>
>> https://www.proforma.com/sdscommunitystore
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> This site stopped working during DevConf and hasn't been working since.
> I think Greg has contacted some folks about this, but it would be great
> if you could follow up because it's been a couple of weeks now...

Ilya,

The site is working for me.
It only does not contain the Nautilus shirts (yet)

--WjW

@ 2019-02-15 10:56                       ` Dan van der Ster
       [not found]                         ` <CABZ+qqkx2jibhuA=EP22Fwxb2=dr_JR0_tDeF0fKT3e7_n4YwQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Dan van der Ster @ 2019-02-15 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: aad, ceph-users, ceph-devel

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 11:40 AM Willem Jan Withagen <wjw-dOtk1Lsa4IaEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 15/02/2019 10:39, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:05 AM Mike Perez <miperez-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Marc,
> >>
> >> You can see previous designs on the Ceph store:
> >>
> >> https://www.proforma.com/sdscommunitystore
> >
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > This site stopped working during DevConf and hasn't been working since.
> > I think Greg has contacted some folks about this, but it would be great
> > if you could follow up because it's been a couple of weeks now...
>
> Ilya,
>
> The site is working for me.
> It only does not contain the Nautilus shirts (yet)

I found in the past that the http redirection for www.proforma.com
doesn't work from over here in Europe.
If someone can post the redirection target then we can access it directly.

-- dan

@ 2019-02-15 11:01                           ` Willem Jan Withagen
       [not found]                             ` <765615f0-d30d-0645-7e13-ba701e7e6022-dOtk1Lsa4IaEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org>
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2019-02-15 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan van der Ster; +Cc: aad, ceph-users, ceph-devel

On 15/02/2019 11:56, Dan van der Ster wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 11:40 AM Willem Jan Withagen <wjw-dOtk1Lsa4IaEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> Hi Mike,
>>>
>>> This site stopped working during DevConf and hasn't been working since.
>>> I think Greg has contacted some folks about this, but it would be great
>>> if you could follow up because it's been a couple of weeks now...
>>
>> Ilya,
>>
>> The site is working for me.
>> It only does not contain the Nautilus shirts (yet)
>
> I found in the past that the http redirection for www.proforma.com
> doesn't work from over here in Europe.
> If someone can post the redirection target then we can access it directly.

Like:

https://proformaprostores.com/Category

at least, that is where I get directed to.

--WjW

@ 2019-02-15 11:02                               ` Dan van der Ster
From: Dan van der Ster @ 2019-02-15 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: aad, ceph-users, ceph-devel

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:01 PM Willem Jan Withagen <wjw-dOtk1Lsa4IaEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 15/02/2019 11:56, Dan van der Ster wrote:

> >> Ilya,
> >>
> >> The site is working for me.
> >> It only does not contain the Nautilus shirts (yet)
> >
> > I found in the past that the http redirection for www.proforma.com
> > doesn't work from over here in Europe.
> > If someone can post the redirection target then we can access it directly.
>
> Like:
>
> https://proformaprostores.com/Category
>

> at least, that is where I get directed to.

Exactly! That URL works here at CERN... www.proforma.com is stuck forever.

-- dan

@ 2019-02-15 18:36                   ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2019-02-15 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Dryomov; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 1:39 AM Ilya Dryomov <idryomov-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 12:05 AM Mike Perez <miperez-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Marc,
> >
> > You can see previous designs on the Ceph store:
> >
> > https://www.proforma.com/sdscommunitystore
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> This site stopped working during DevConf and hasn't been working since.
> I think Greg has contacted some folks about this, but it would be great
> if you could follow up because it's been a couple of weeks now...

That’s odd because we thought this was resolved by Monday, but I do see
from the time stamps I was back in the USA when testing it. It must be
geographical as Dan says... :/

@ 2019-03-15 11:16           ` Tim Serong
From: Tim Serong @ 2019-03-15 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony D'Atri; +Cc: Ceph Development, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

On 01/18/2019 11:07 AM, Anthony D'Atri wrote:
>>> Lenz has provided this image that is currently being used for the 404
>>> page of the dashboard:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/pybind/mgr/dashboard/frontend/src/assets/1280px-Nautilus_Octopus.jpg
>>
>> Nautilus *shells* are somewhat iconic/well known/distinctive.  Maybe a
>> variant of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nautilus_Section_cut.jpg
>> would be interesting on a t-shirt?
>
> I agree with Tim.  T shirts with photos can be tricky, it’s easy for them to look cheesy and they don’t age well.
>
> In the same vein, something with a lower bit-depth and not non-cross-section might be slightly more recognizable:
>
> https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/nautilus-vector-2806848

I'm not sure if it's too late now, but just for fun I spent some time
screwing around this evening in Inkscape, and came up with a shell
design somewhere between the cut section I suggested earlier and the
vector Anthony suggested:

  https://github.com/tserong/scratch/blob/master/images/nautilus.svg.png

The fine lines are possibly too thin for t-shirt printing, so if it's
desirable to use this, it may want some further work.  The original SVG
is in that repo too, if anyone else wants to play.

Cheers,

Tim
--
tserong@suse.com