* [ADMIN] Outages on linux-mips.org
@ 2014-08-13 12:19 Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2014-08-13 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

In the past days there have been several outages of services provided
by linux-mips.org due excessive load on the machine, crashes of the VM
and its hosts system.  Resolving this is going to take some time so
please bear with me while the machine is suffering for you ;-)

  Ralf

* Re: [ADMIN] Outages on linux-mips.org
@ 2014-08-13 12:40 ` Jonas Gorski
From: Jonas Gorski @ 2014-08-13 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> wrote:
> In the past days there have been several outages of services provided
> by linux-mips.org due excessive load on the machine, crashes of the VM
> and its hosts system.  Resolving this is going to take some time so
> please bear with me while the machine is suffering for you ;-)

Thanks for the update!

Jonas

* Re: [ADMIN] Outages on linux-mips.org
@ 2014-08-13 13:18   ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2014-08-13 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 02:40:36PM +0200, Jonas Gorski wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> wrote:
> > In the past days there have been several outages of services provided
> > by linux-mips.org due excessive load on the machine, crashes of the VM
> > and its hosts system.  Resolving this is going to take some time so
> > please bear with me while the machine is suffering for you ;-)
>
> Thanks for the update!

One of the side effects is also that if the spam filter is failing due
to timeouts or a crash spam will be allowed to pass straight through to
the list ...

@ 2014-08-13 19:41     ` Aaro Koskinen
From: Aaro Koskinen @ 2014-08-13 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 03:18:03PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 02:40:36PM +0200, Jonas Gorski wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM, Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org> wrote:
> > > In the past days there have been several outages of services provided
> > > by linux-mips.org due excessive load on the machine, crashes of the VM
> > > and its hosts system.  Resolving this is going to take some time so
> > > please bear with me while the machine is suffering for you ;-)
> >
> > Thanks for the update!
>
> One of the side effects is also that if the spam filter is failing due
> to timeouts or a crash spam will be allowed to pass straight through to
> the list ...

FWIW, lots of spam has been coming in already weeks through MIPS list.

A.

* Re: [ADMIN] Outages on linux-mips.org
@ 2014-08-13 21:44       ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2014-08-13 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:41:45PM +0300, Aaro Koskinen wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 03:18:03PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the update!
> >
> > One of the side effects is also that if the spam filter is failing due
> > to timeouts or a crash spam will be allowed to pass straight through to
> > the list ...
>
> FWIW, lots of spam has been coming in already weeks through MIPS list.

It was hard to miss and yes, the situation exist for a while already ...  I
occasionally remove the spam from the list archive and rebuild the web
archive.

@ 2014-08-14 14:22 ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2014-08-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 02:19:20PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> In the past days there have been several outages of services provided
> by linux-mips.org due excessive load on the machine, crashes of the VM
> and its hosts system.  Resolving this is going to take some time so
> please bear with me while the machine is suffering for you ;-)

For the moment the problem appears to be under control even though
the system is processing a bunch of -stable kernels.  Touch wood ...

File corruption appears to have been limited to the mail spool so some
in transit email has been lost and you may want to consider resending.  As
for postings to the list you can check in the web archive if your posting
made it; patches to the linux-mips mailing list should also show up in
patchwork almost immediately.

@ 2014-08-14 14:57   ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2014-08-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 04:22:21PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > In the past days there have been several outages of services provided
> > by linux-mips.org due excessive load on the machine, crashes of the VM
> > and its hosts system.  Resolving this is going to take some time so
> > please bear with me while the machine is suffering for you ;-)
>
> For the moment the problem appears to be under control even though
> the system is processing a bunch of -stable kernels.  Touch wood ...

Famous last words - the wiki database has been damaged but for the
moment the wiki's still limping along ...

@ 2014-08-14 19:00     ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2014-08-14 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 04:57:00PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > For the moment the problem appears to be under control even though
> > the system is processing a bunch of -stable kernels.  Touch wood ...
>
> Famous last words - the wiki database has been damaged but for the
> moment the wiki's still limping along ...

Glued together as well ...

  Ralf