* [Buildroot] -E flag in apply-patches.sh
@ 2021-12-10 10:40 Andrey Nechypurenko
From: Andrey Nechypurenko @ 2021-12-10 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Buildrooters,

There is a -E flag passed to patch in
support/scripts/apply-patches.sh. It prevents patch from creating
empty files.

I have got a kernel driver from a touch-screen vendor which contains
empty file. So my attempt to integrate it into Buildroot as a series
of patches failed because an empty file is missing after applying the
patch (because of the -E flag). As a result, the kernel could not be
compiled.

I am wondering if there are any particular reasons to have the -E flag
and if it would make sense to remove it from the script?

Thank you,
Andrey.

* Re: [Buildroot] -E flag in apply-patches.sh
@ 2021-12-10 18:24 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2021-12-10 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Nechypurenko, buildroot

On 10/12/2021 11:40, Andrey Nechypurenko wrote:
> Dear Buildrooters,
>
> There is a -E flag passed to patch in
> support/scripts/apply-patches.sh. It prevents patch from creating
> empty files.
>
> I have got a kernel driver from a touch-screen vendor which contains
> empty file. So my attempt to integrate it into Buildroot as a series
> of patches failed because an empty file is missing after applying the
> patch (because of the -E flag). As a result, the kernel could not be
> compiled.
>
> I am wondering if there are any particular reasons to have the -E flag
> and if it would make sense to remove it from the script?

  I think that's purely historical, from back in the days when many patches were
downloaded externally and some of them could be really odd.

  I expect that none of the patches that we have now still need this. However,
you should probably check:

  - all patches in the buildroot tree;
  - all patches downloaded from somewhere (git grep 'patch\|diff' -- \*.hash)

  Regards,
  Arnout

* Re: [Buildroot] -E flag in apply-patches.sh
@ 2021-12-13 16:44   ` Andrey Nechypurenko
From: Andrey Nechypurenko @ 2021-12-13 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnout Vandecappelle; +Cc: buildroot

Hi Arnout,

> > I am wondering if there are any particular reasons to have the -E flag
> > and if it would make sense to remove it from the script?
>
>   I think that's purely historical, from back in the days when many patches were
> downloaded externally and some of them could be really odd.
>
>   I expect that none of the patches that we have now still need this. However,
> you should probably check:
>
>   - all patches in the buildroot tree;
>   - all patches downloaded from somewhere (git grep 'patch\|diff' -- \*.hash)

I looked through the patches and did not find anything suspicious (however,
no 100% guarantee :-) ). So would you consider removing the -E flag from the
script in the upcoming release?

Thanks,

@ 2021-12-13 17:55     ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2021-12-13 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Nechypurenko; +Cc: buildroot

Andrey, All,

On 2021-12-13 17:44 +0100, Andrey Nechypurenko spake thusly:
> > > I am wondering if there are any particular reasons to have the -E flag
> > > and if it would make sense to remove it from the script?
> >
> >   I think that's purely historical, from back in the days when many patches were
> > downloaded externally and some of them could be really odd.
> >
> >   I expect that none of the patches that we have now still need this. However,
> > you should probably check:
> >
> >   - all patches in the buildroot tree;
> >   - all patches downloaded from somewhere (git grep 'patch\|diff' -- \*.hash)
> I looked through the patches and did not find anything suspicious (however,
> no 100% guarantee :-) ). So would you consider removing the -E flag from the
> script in the upcoming release?

Could you send a patch that does that, with a commit log that summarises
the situation, please?

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +33 561 099 427 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |

* Re: [Buildroot] -E flag in apply-patches.sh
@ 2021-12-14 12:57       ` Andrey Nechypurenko
From: Andrey Nechypurenko @ 2021-12-14 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: buildroot

Hi All,

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 at 18:55, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:

> Andrey, All,
>
> On 2021-12-13 17:44 +0100, Andrey Nechypurenko spake thusly:
> > >
> > >   I think that's purely historical, from back in the days when many patches were
> > > downloaded externally and some of them could be really odd.
> > >
> > >   I expect that none of the patches that we have now still need this. However,
> > > you should probably check:
> > >
> > >   - all patches in the buildroot tree;
> > >   - all patches downloaded from somewhere (git grep 'patch\|diff' -- \*.hash)
> > I looked through the patches and did not find anything suspicious (however,
> > no 100% guarantee :-) ). So would you consider removing the -E flag from the
> > script in the upcoming release?
>
> Could you send a patch that does that, with a commit log that summarises
> the situation, please?

Done.

Regards,
Andrey.