* /proc/net/dev no such file or dir
@ 2013-08-13  5:27 Hatte John
From: Hatte John @ 2013-08-13  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

 hi:

   I am trying to boot up my linux kerel from virtual machine
,everything goes fine .
   but when I typed 'ifconfig' command , it reports no such file :
/proc/net/dev  .

  What is the reason ? I have enable netcard for my virtual machine
,is this a problem of   software or hardware?

   Is  the file " /proc/net/dev" created at netcard initailize function ?

Thanks!

* /proc/net/dev no such file or dir
@ 2013-08-13  5:46 ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2013-08-13  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 13:27:53 +0800, Hatte John said:

>    I am trying to boot up my linux kerel from virtual machine
> ,everything goes fine .

Are you actually sure "everything goes fine"?  It's amazing how much can
go wrong during a Linux boot and you still get a login prompt...

>    but when I typed 'ifconfig' command , it reports no such file :
> /proc/net/dev  .

Is the /proc filesystem mounted?

What kernel are you trying to boot, a distro kernel or a self-compiled one?

@ 2013-08-13  6:34 ` Srinivas Ganji
From: Srinivas Ganji @ 2013-08-13  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi John,

Have you set "NAT" under Devices --> Network Adapters? This is just a guess
and I am not sure whether this serves your purpose or not.

Regards,
Srinivas G

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Hatte John <june.tune.sea@gmail.com>wrote:

>  hi:
>
>    I am trying to boot up my linux kerel from virtual machine
> ,everything goes fine .
>    but when I typed 'ifconfig' command , it reports no such file :
> /proc/net/dev  .
>
>   What is the reason ? I have enable netcard for my virtual machine
> ,is this a problem of   software or hardware?
>
>    Is  the file " /proc/net/dev" created at netcard initailize function ?
>
> Thanks!

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* /proc/net/dev no such file or dir
@ 2013-08-13 13:43   ` Hatte John
From: Hatte John @ 2013-08-13 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks  for  help!

I  have not ever mount /sys and /proc filesystems, so is there other
way to chech the host's ip address and netdevice information?

Best Regards!

@ 2013-08-13 16:02     ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2013-08-13 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:43:55 +0800, Hatte John said:

> I  have not ever mount /sys and /proc filesystems, so is there other
> way to chech the host's ip address and netdevice information?

If in fact /sys and /proc aren't getting mounted, a *whole lot* of stuff
won't work (for instance, /bin/ps will break, as will /bin/df.  I'm reasonably
sure that most udev implementations need /sys around, so I'm surprised
that you're getting booted at all...
@ 2013-08-18 14:07       ` Hatte John
From: Hatte John @ 2013-08-18 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks for reply!

Acctually ,I have just entered shell command line ,no process is running yet !
I don 't clear of why /proc have not been mounted .
So I want to find reason by debuging ,and I find /proc filesystem
exist in ram ,with several  entries ceated .

Chould you tell me the key point that mount /proc on system ?

Best Regards!

@ 2013-08-19 13:21         ` Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2013-08-19 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 22:07:02 +0800, you said:

> Acctually ,I have just entered shell command line ,no process is running yet !

Actually, if you have a shell command line, at least one process is in fact
running - your shell itself.

> I don 't clear of why /proc have not been mounted .
> So I want to find reason by debuging ,and I find /proc filesystem
> exist in ram ,with several  entries ceated .
>
> Chould you tell me the key point that mount /proc on system ?

Depends on your system.    If you have an embedded system, it may mot mount
it at all.  If your system uses an initrd or initramfs, it probably gets
done by the startup script in there.  If neither of those happen, it's usually
done by /etc/rc.sysinit or similar, unless your system uses systemd for startup
in which case you're going to be digging around to figure out where it does it.
@ 2013-09-17 10:49           ` Hatte John
From: Hatte John @ 2013-09-17 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks !

I use initramfs in booting stage ,and also mount /proc in init script file .
I  am puzzled that when is nic driver registered ?
when chould nic start up and work well ?

Best Regards!