* Re: [ath9k-devel] Packet loss regression with Atheros AR9280
@ 2011-08-13 11:21 ` Jan Sundman
From: Jan Sundman @ 2011-08-13 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert; +Cc: ath9k-devel, linux-wireless

Hi,

I'm not sure whether you have found a solution to this issue yet but I
thought that I should share my findings. I'm running Arch linux on my
laptop which have the AR9280 and I saw massive packet loss as well.

I noticed however that this _only_ occurred when the laptop was on
battery power. So it seems to be due to some power save functionality
for the card.

"iwconfig wlan0 power off" seems to fix it so I added this to my startup
script and this fixes it. This is of course not a optimal solution but
may point you in the right direction on fixing the problem.

Br,

/Jan

From: Jan Sundman @ 2011-08-13 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2011-08-13 14:14   ` Richard Schütz
From: Richard Schütz @ 2011-08-13 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Sundman; +Cc: robert, ath9k-devel, linux-wireless

Am 13.08.2011 13:21, schrieb Jan Sundman:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure whether you have found a solution to this issue yet but I
> thought that I should share my findings. I'm running Arch linux on my
> laptop which have the AR9280 and I saw massive packet loss as well.
>
> I noticed however that this _only_ occurred when the laptop was on
> battery power. So it seems to be due to some power save functionality
> for the card.
>
> "iwconfig wlan0 power off" seems to fix it so I added this to my startup
> script and this fixes it. This is of course not a optimal solution but
> may point you in the right direction on fixing the problem.
>
> Br,
>
> /Jan

It looks like I'm having the same issue with an AR9285. In my
university's wireless network the packet loss is noticeable higher with
power management enabled. But at home everything is fine.

Richard Schütz

From: Richard Schütz @ 2011-08-13 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Am 13.08.2011 13:21, schrieb Jan Sundman:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure whether you have found a solution to this issue yet but I
> thought that I should share my findings. I'm running Arch linux on my
> laptop which have the AR9280 and I saw massive packet loss as well.
>
> I noticed however that this _only_ occurred when the laptop was on
> battery power. So it seems to be due to some power save functionality
> for the card.
>
> "iwconfig wlan0 power off" seems to fix it so I added this to my startup
> script and this fixes it. This is of course not a optimal solution but
> may point you in the right direction on fixing the problem.
>
> Br,
>
> /Jan

It looks like I'm having the same issue with an AR9285. In my
university's wireless network the packet loss is noticeable higher with
power management enabled. But at home everything is fine.

Richard Sch?tz

* Re: [ath9k-devel] Packet loss regression with Atheros AR9280
@ 2011-08-14  2:48     ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2011-08-14  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Schütz; +Cc: Jan Sundman, robert, ath9k-devel, linux-wireless

On 13 August 2011 22:14, Richard Schütz <r.schtz@t-online.de> wrote:

> It looks like I'm having the same issue with an AR9285. In my university's
> wireless network the packet loss is noticeable higher with power management
> enabled. But at home everything is fine.

Can you please file a kernel bugzilla report for this, so it doesn't get lost?

Adrian

From: Adrian Chadd @ 2011-08-14  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2011-08-14 10:13   ` Robert O'Callahan
From: Robert O'Callahan @ 2011-08-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Sundman; +Cc: ath9k-devel, linux-wireless

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Jan Sundman <jan.sundman@aland.net> wrote:
> "iwconfig wlan0 power off" seems to fix it so I added this to my startup
> script and this fixes it. This is of course not a optimal solution but
> may point you in the right direction on fixing the problem.

That doesn't help with my problem. Thanks for the idea though.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is
not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will

From: Robert O'Callahan @ 2011-08-14 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

@ 2011-08-15 14:56   ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-08-15 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Sundman; +Cc: robert, ath9k-devel, linux-wireless

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Jan Sundman <jan.sundman@aland.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure whether you have found a solution to this issue yet but I
> thought that I should share my findings. I'm running Arch linux on my
> laptop which have the AR9280 and I saw massive packet loss as well.

is it an in built card?

> I noticed however that this _only_ occurred when the laptop was on
> battery power. So it seems to be due to some power save functionality
> for the card.

if its an in built card, then
this looks like a platform issue, if so please use
 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/scripts/cpudmalatency.c
 http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/netlatency.c.txt

> "iwconfig wlan0 power off" seems to fix it so I added this to my startup
> script and this fixes it. This is of course not a optimal solution but
> may point you in the right direction on fixing the problem.
>
> Br,
>
> /Jan
>
>>On 12 August 2011 10:27, Robert O'Callahan ><robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
>
>>> Anything I can get building with this kernel, I guess. Any particular
>>> version I should try?
>
>>I'd suggest going back a month at a time
>>(http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6/2011/), >try each
>>until you find one that works, then report >"compat-wireless X works,
>>compat-wireless Y doesn't". That'll be a good way to >test multiple
>>copies of the development wireless tree.
>
>>If someone Fedora-clued knows which version(s) of the >wireless code
>>are involved with Robert's good and bad behaviour >reports, that'll
>>also help.
>
>>Anything to kick-start a git bisect :-)
>
>>Ciao,
>

>>Adrian

shafi

From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-08-15 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Jan Sundman <jan.sundman@aland.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure whether you have found a solution to this issue yet but I
> thought that I should share my findings. I'm running Arch linux on my
> laptop which have the AR9280 and I saw massive packet loss as well.

is it an in built card?

> I noticed however that this _only_ occurred when the laptop was on
> battery power. So it seems to be due to some power save functionality
> for the card.

if its an in built card, then
this looks like a platform issue, if so please use
 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/scripts/cpudmalatency.c
 http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/files/netlatency.c.txt

> "iwconfig wlan0 power off" seems to fix it so I added this to my startup
> script and this fixes it. This is of course not a optimal solution but
> may point you in the right direction on fixing the problem.
>
> Br,
>
> /Jan
>
>>On 12 August 2011 10:27, Robert O'Callahan ><robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
>
>>> Anything I can get building with this kernel, I guess. Any particular
>>> version I should try?
>
>>I'd suggest going back a month at a time
>>(http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/compat-wireless-2.6/2011/), >try each
>>until you find one that works, then report >"compat-wireless X works,
>>compat-wireless Y doesn't". That'll be a good way to >test multiple
>>copies of the development wireless tree.
>
>>If someone Fedora-clued knows which version(s) of the >wireless code
>>are involved with Robert's good and bad behaviour >reports, that'll
>>also help.
>
>>Anything to kick-start a git bisect :-)
>
>>Ciao,
>

>>Adrian