* [ath9k-devel] kismet with ath9k card
@ 2014-06-05  4:37 Joe M
       [not found] ` <MTAwMDAyNC5ic2Nobnps.1401964581@quikprotect>
From: Joe M @ 2014-06-05  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello,

Just want to check if anyone has kismet working on an ath9k wireless
card (product: AR93xx Wireless Network Adapter,  TP-LINK TL-WDN4800
450 Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter Nic)?

kismet_server has the below messages:
INFO: Attempting to re-open errored packet source wlan0
INFO: Bringing down primary interface 'wlan0' to prevent wpa_supplicant
      and NetworkManager from trying to configure it
ERROR: mode get ioctl failed 95:Operation not supported
ERROR: Failed to get current wireless mode for interface 'wlan0mon', check
       your configuration and consult the Kismet README file

this is how I defined the wlan0 source in kismet.conf:
ncsource=wlan0:type=ath9k

Thanks
Joe
From: Bill Scherr IV @ 2014-06-06 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Joe -

   No Problem.

   Does tcpdump work?  The interface is indicated as any ethernet interface would be.

   I have  a WDN4800 that I am trying to make work as an AP.  It is flakey.  I just tried the new drivers (backports-20140501)
and got no change in function.  The new driver also does not support the wireless-tools kit.  That may be your trouble below.

   I have to be honest.  I have only been working this issue for a couple of months.  But I have been using kismet for some
time.  Technically, the ath9k is NOT in the kismet support list (README-2013.03.1-r1).

B.

Circa 15:18, 5 Jun 2014, a note, claiming source Joe M <joe9mail@gmail.com>, was sent to me:

Date sent:	Thu, 5 Jun 2014 15:18:56 -0500
From:	Joe M <joe9mail@gmail.com>
To:	Bill Scherr IV <bschnzl@cotse.net>
Subject:	Re: [ath9k-devel] kismet with ath9k card

> Hello Bill,
>
> Thanks for responding.
>
> >    I was able to capture packets with tcpdump on a monitor port.
> >    That worked really well.  Of course I wasn't changing
> > frequencies three times a second, or at all for that matter.
>
> Good to know that tcpdump helps. I am/was trying to use kismet to figure
> out if I could use some other unused wireless channel. I guess it is a
> little harder to do with tcpdump.
>
> >    The "new" utility "iw" will add a "monitor" port.  This will let
> >    tcpdump capture all of the management frames.  Do:
> >
> > iw dev wlan0 interface add fish0 -type monitor ...
> > where
> >
> > wlan0 is your existing interface name
> > fish0 can be just about anything - will be your new interface name
> > monitor is a specific type - others include mp & wds
> > there are also six flags to a monitor port
> >
> >    I don't have a time to write an iw howto.  Look up iw, specifically @ wireless.kernel.org.
> >
> >    You will have to match ncsource to your new I/F name.
> Do you mean adding the line "ncsource=fish0" to /etc/kismet.conf? Or,
> is there an ncsource for tcpdump configuration?
>
> Anyway, I tried with "ncsource=fish0" in /etc/kismet.conf and it did
> not help.
>
> INFO: No spectools= line in config file, will not try to use spectools for
>       spectrum data
> INFO: Activated plugin '/usr/lib64/kismet/spectool_net.so': 'SPECTOOL'
>       '2013-03-R0'
> INFO: Kismet starting to gather packets
> INFO: Bringing down primary interface 'fish0' to prevent wpa_supplicant
>       and NetworkManager from trying to configure it
> ERROR: mode get ioctl failed 95:Operation not supported
> ERROR: Failed to get current wireless mode for interface 'fish0mon', check
>        your configuration and consult the Kismet README file
>
> Thanks and Sorry for the bother,
> Joe

 Thought for the day:
    Bagpipes (n): an octopus wearing a kilt.

Bill Scherr IV

@ 2014-06-09 17:00 ` Holger Schurig
From: Holger Schurig @ 2014-06-09 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

> ncsource=wlan0:type=ath9k

I think this is your problem. Kismet still contains a loooot of cruft
from ancient times. Configure the WLAN card as a mac80211 one, then it
should work.