* NVIDIA Drivers
@ 2017-03-28 21:47 Alvaro Garcia
From: Alvaro Garcia @ 2017-03-28 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi, I have built an image based on poky core-image-x11. Everything went
fine but the graphic card drivers. I want more resolution than the provided
by vesa (800x600) so I really need this drivers.

I tried this guacamayo recipe
https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/recipe/3272/ but can't compile
(too old, maybe unmaintained?). Also tried the recipe xf86-video-nouveau
(it is blacklisted but in krogoth it compiles right) but when I boot the
image, the nouveau driver is not used. My knowledges are very low to even
try to cross compile the nvidia propietary drivers (and can't find any
reference) so now I'm stucked. My machine is a zotac zbox, it came with
angstrom but now I want to build my own image.

I came from ubuntu world where the drivers are installed automatically so
at this point I'm totally lost. Can you bring me some light?

Thank you

* Re: NVIDIA Drivers
@ 2017-03-28 22:09 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-03-28 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alvaro Garcia; +Cc: yocto

On 28 March 2017 at 22:47, Alvaro Garcia <maxpowel@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried this guacamayo recipe https://layers.openembedded.
> org/layerindex/recipe/3272/ but can't compile (too old, maybe
> unmaintained?). Also tried the recipe xf86-video-nouveau (it is blacklisted
> but in krogoth it compiles right) but when I boot the image, the nouveau
> driver is not used. My knowledges are very low to even try to cross compile
> the nvidia propietary drivers (and can't find any reference) so now I'm
> stucked. My machine is a zotac zbox, it came with angstrom but now I want
> to build my own image.

When you built the nouveux driver, did you add it to the image?  Bitbaking
something doesn't add it to the image.

Ross

* Re: NVIDIA Drivers
@ 2017-03-28 22:41   ` Alvaro Garcia
From: Alvaro Garcia @ 2017-03-28 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

I'm not sure, I started with yocto about a week ago. What I did is exactly:
1. Added to bblayers.conf the layer
/home/alvaro/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-oe (previously I downloaded this
meta, needed for x11vnc)
2. Added a custom layer /home/alvaro/poky/meta-unclutter (it just compile
the application and copy it to /usr/bin)
3. In local.conf, added CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += "xf86-video-nouveau
unclutter alsa-utils x11vnc gconf"
4. Run MACHINE=genericx86-64 bitbake core-image-x11

Then I installed the image into my device. Everything worked as expected
but the nouveau driver. Is this correct or I forgot some step?

> On 28 March 2017 at 22:47, Alvaro Garcia <maxpowel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried this guacamayo recipe https://layers.openembedded.or
>> g/layerindex/recipe/3272/ but can't compile (too old, maybe
>> unmaintained?). Also tried the recipe xf86-video-nouveau (it is blacklisted
>> but in krogoth it compiles right) but when I boot the image, the nouveau
>> driver is not used. My knowledges are very low to even try to cross compile
>> the nvidia propietary drivers (and can't find any reference) so now I'm
>> stucked. My machine is a zotac zbox, it came with angstrom but now I want
>> to build my own image.
>>

> When you built the nouveux driver, did you add it to the image?  Bitbaking
> something doesn't add it to the image.
>
> Ross

* Re: NVIDIA Drivers
@ 2017-03-28 22:43     ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-03-28 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alvaro Garcia; +Cc: yocto

On 28 March 2017 at 23:41, Alvaro Garcia <maxpowel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then I installed the image into my device. Everything worked as expected
> but the nouveau driver. Is this correct or I forgot some step?

I'd check that the package actually exists in your rootfs - use the package
manager to verify this.  It should be there but I've never used nouveux.
Beyond that the driver is installed so maybe you need to adjust xorg.conf.

Ross

* Re: NVIDIA Drivers
@ 2017-03-28 23:20       ` Alvaro Garcia
From: Alvaro Garcia @ 2017-03-28 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

I used rpm and deb, you mean dpkg (for deb) when you say package manager?

> On 28 March 2017 at 23:41, Alvaro Garcia <maxpowel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Then I installed the image into my device. Everything worked as expected
>> but the nouveau driver. Is this correct or I forgot some step?
>>

> I'd check that the package actually exists in your rootfs - use the
> package manager to verify this.  It should be there but I've never used
> nouveux.  Beyond that the driver is installed so maybe you need to adjust
> xorg.conf.
>
> Ross

* Re: NVIDIA Drivers
@ 2017-03-29  8:01         ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2017-03-29  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alvaro Garcia; +Cc: yocto

On 29 March 2017 at 00:20, Alvaro Garcia <maxpowel@gmail.com> wrote:

> I used rpm and deb, you mean dpkg (for deb) when you say package manager?

Whatever package manager you've got enabled - rpm by default.

Ross

* Re: NVIDIA Drivers
@ 2017-03-29  8:19           ` Alvaro Garcia
From: Alvaro Garcia @ 2017-03-29  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

I have checked the rootfs and the nouveau files are there:
/usr/lib/libdrm_nouveau.so.2
/usr/lib/libdrm_nouveau.so.2.0.0
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
/usr/lib/dri/nouveau_vieux_dri.so

Xorg seems to load it
(II) LoadModule: "nouveau"

It seems that the recipe is working fine, will try xorg configuration.

* Re: NVIDIA Drivers
@ 2017-03-29  8:40             ` Alvaro Garcia
From: Alvaro Garcia @ 2017-03-29  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto