* EC Jerasure plugin and StreamScale Inc
@ 2016-04-20 13:14 Chandan Kumar Singh
From: Chandan Kumar Singh @ 2016-04-20 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw
  Cc: Loic Dachary

Hi

What does the ceph community think of StreamScale's claims on
Jerasure? Is it possible to use the EC plugin for commercial purposes?
What is your advice?

Regards
Chandan

* Re: EC Jerasure plugin and StreamScale Inc
@ 2016-04-20 16:46 ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2016-04-20 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chandan Kumar Singh, ceph-devel

Hi,

On 20/04/2016 20:14, Chandan Kumar Singh wrote:
> Hi
>
> What does the ceph community think of StreamScale's claims on
> Jerasure? Is it possible to use the EC plugin for commercial purposes?
> What is your advice?

I'd also be interested to know what the community thinks of Symantec patent on "Dynamic distributed data system and method" https://patents.google.com/patent/US6631449B1 and how much of a legal risk it is when doing business with Ceph. I know from experience that asking this question to the best law firm will get me a very expensive answer that can be summarized by "maybe ?".

My 2cts

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: EC Jerasure plugin and StreamScale Inc
@ 2016-04-20 17:09   ` Chandan Kumar Singh
From: Chandan Kumar Singh @ 2016-04-20 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: ceph-devel

True. Patents on Generic methods don't mean much. Since StreamScale
was successful in forcing Professor James Plank to disassociate from
Jerasure, management of any small enterprise will be reluctant to use
it.