* Re: [Xenomai] [rtnet] - help required with rtnet interface bring up
@ 2018-02-13 13:26 Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-13 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai, jan.kiszka, Pintu Kumar, rpm, jan.kiszka, jy0922.shim, kludge

Hi,

I am expecting some reply again with rtnet setup on ubuntu (virtual
box) using version: 4.9.62-pintu-xeno-3.0.6+
Note: I am using virtual box for experimental purpose before moving it
to the actual hardware

I haven't got any reply with my previous query so I am top posting again.

I am trying to verify UDP client/server socket communication using
rtnet interface.
Using loopback (rtlo with local address 127.0.0.1) it is working fine.

But, I have no success using the rteth0/1 (actual ip address) interface.

In my machine the network interface names are shown like below:
1) enp0s3
                 inet addr:10.0.2.15
2) enp0s8
                 inet addr:192.168.56.101

When I try to start rtnet, I get these errors:

$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtnet start
rteth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
rteth0-mac: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
ioctl: No such device
ioctl: No such device
ioctl: No such device
ioctl: No such device
ioctl (add): No such device
ioctl (add): No such device
ioctl (add): No such device
vnic0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
vnic0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Waiting for all slaves...ioctl: No such device
ioctl: No such device

After this I see only rtlo is up, and I could not find rteth* device.

3) rtlo

4) $ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig
          rtlo      Medium: Local Loopback
                     IP address: 127.0.0.1
                     UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU: 1500

5) In the rtnet script I tried replacing the eth0 interface with my
system interface name, but that also did not help.

So, please let me know how to bring up rteth0 interface on my system ?

Hope I will get some help this time to proceed.
Please help!

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-02-13 14:39 ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-02-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, jan.kiszka, Xenomai@xenomai.org

Have you confirmed that the rtnet drivers for your system are loaded?
Are they built into the kernel or built as modules?

-Greg

@ 2018-02-13 16:25   ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-13 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, jan.kiszka, Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:09 PM, Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com> wrote:
> Have you confirmed that the rtnet drivers for your system are loaded?
> Are they built into the kernel or built as modules?

Yes, I have enabled RTDM and RTNET in kernel confirm as loadable
module (M), and rent drivers are loaded successfully.
As I said before, all the rtnet modules are visible from lsmod.

Also, as I said rtnet loopback (rtlo) is working fine.
But rteth0 does not come up using rent script.

I even tried forcefully reserving the interface name to (eth0, eth1)
by passing kernel command line argument.
Now the interface name is shown as : eth0, eth1 (instead of enp0*)

But still I am not able to get rteth0, rteth1 interface.

Is there any thing I am missing?

Thanks,
Pintu

> [...]
>>                      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU: 1500
>>

>> 5) In the rtnet script I tried replacing the eth0 interface with my
>> system interface name, but that also did not help.
>>
>> So, please let me know how to bring up rteth0 interface on my system ?
>>

>> Hope I will get some help this time to proceed.
>> Please help!
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Pintu
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 7:06 PM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ok, I think I found the problem.

>>> 1)
>>> I think the rttcp module is disabled in the kernel.
>>>
>>> drivers/xenomai/net/stack/ipv4/Kconfig:
>>> # source "drivers/xenomai/net/stack/ipv4/tcp/Kconfig"
>>>
>>> But I wonder, why the rttcp is commented out in the kernel source.
>>> Is there any problem using tcp on xenomai ?
>>>

>>> 2)  If I remove "tcp" from rtnet.conf and also make RTCAP as "no", I

>>> ioctl (add): No such device

@ 2018-02-13 16:59     ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-02-13 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, jan.kiszka, Xenomai@xenomai.org

I'll defer to someone with more experience with RTNet, but I'd confirm
that you have the correct drivers loaded, and that you don't see any
errors in the kernel log.  Are the non-realtime drivers loaded?

-Greg

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:25 AM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:09 PM, Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com> wrote:
>> Have you confirmed that the rtnet drivers for your system are loaded?
>> Are they built into the kernel or built as modules?
>>

> Yes, I have enabled RTDM and RTNET in kernel confirm as loadable
> module (M), and rent drivers are loaded successfully.
> As I said before, all the rtnet modules are visible from lsmod.
>
> Also, as I said rtnet loopback (rtlo) is working fine.
> But rteth0 does not come up using rent script.
>
> I even tried forcefully reserving the interface name to (eth0, eth1)
> by passing kernel command line argument.
> Now the interface name is shown as : eth0, eth1 (instead of enp0*)
>
> But still I am not able to get rteth0, rteth1 interface.
>
> Is there any thing I am missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Pintu
>

>> -Greg
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:26 AM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am expecting some reply again with rtnet setup on ubuntu (virtual
>>> box) using version: 4.9.62-pintu-xeno-3.0.6+
>>> Note: I am using virtual box for experimental purpose before moving it
>>> to the actual hardware
>>>
>>> I haven't got any reply with my previous query so I am top posting again.
>>>
>>> I am trying to verify UDP client/server socket communication using
>>> rtnet interface.
>>> Using loopback (rtlo with local address 127.0.0.1) it is working fine.
>>>
>>> But, I have no success using the rteth0/1 (actual ip address) interface.
>>>
>>> In my machine the network interface names are shown like below:
>>> 1) enp0s3
>>>                  inet addr:10.0.2.15
>>> 2) enp0s8
>>>                  inet addr:192.168.56.101
>>>
>>> When I try to start rtnet, I get these errors:
>>>
>>> $ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtnet start
>>> rteth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>>> rteth0-mac: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
>>> ioctl: No such device
>>> ioctl: No such device
>>> ioctl: No such device
>>> ioctl: No such device
>>> ioctl (add): No such device
>>> ioctl (add): No such device

@ 2018-02-13 17:14     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2018-02-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar, Greg Gallagher; +Cc: jan.kiszka, Xenomai@xenomai.org

On 2018-02-13 17:25, Pintu Kumar wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:09 PM, Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com> wrote:
>> Have you confirmed that the rtnet drivers for your system are loaded?
>> Are they built into the kernel or built as modules?
>>

> Yes, I have enabled RTDM and RTNET in kernel confirm as loadable
> module (M), and rent drivers are loaded successfully.
> As I said before, all the rtnet modules are visible from lsmod.
>
> Also, as I said rtnet loopback (rtlo) is working fine.
> But rteth0 does not come up using rent script.
>
> I even tried forcefully reserving the interface name to (eth0, eth1)
> by passing kernel command line argument.
> Now the interface name is shown as : eth0, eth1 (instead of enp0*)
>
> But still I am not able to get rteth0, rteth1 interface.
>
> Is there any thing I am missing?

I do not know the details of virtualbox and which kind of ethernet
hardware it exposes to the guest. You can check with "lspci -knn" which
kernel driver is registered for which PCI device, of which one will be
your (virtual) NIC. If the network controller is (likely) still owned by
a linux driver, check if there is a corresponding rtnet driver and
specify that in /etc/rtnet.conf, along with the device that shall be
rebound.

When using a more powerful virtualization solution like QEMU/KVM, you
will get e1000/e1000e compatible models. Those at least used to work
fine with RTnet.

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai] [rtnet] - help required with rtnet interface bring up
@ 2018-02-13 18:08       ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-13 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: jan.kiszka, Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:44 PM, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:
> On 2018-02-13 17:25, Pintu Kumar wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:09 PM, Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com> wrote:
>>> Have you confirmed that the rtnet drivers for your system are loaded?
>>> Are they built into the kernel or built as modules?
>>>

>> Yes, I have enabled RTDM and RTNET in kernel confirm as loadable
>> module (M), and rent drivers are loaded successfully.
>> As I said before, all the rtnet modules are visible from lsmod.
>>
>> Also, as I said rtnet loopback (rtlo) is working fine.
>> But rteth0 does not come up using rent script.
>>
>> I even tried forcefully reserving the interface name to (eth0, eth1)
>> by passing kernel command line argument.
>> Now the interface name is shown as : eth0, eth1 (instead of enp0*)
>>
>> But still I am not able to get rteth0, rteth1 interface.
>>
>> Is there any thing I am missing?
>
> I do not know the details of virtualbox and which kind of ethernet
> hardware it exposes to the guest. You can check with "lspci -knn" which
> kernel driver is registered for which PCI device, of which one will be
> your (virtual) NIC. If the network controller is (likely) still owned by
> a linux driver, check if there is a corresponding rtnet driver and
> specify that in /etc/rtnet.conf, along with the device that shall be
> rebound.
>
> When using a more powerful virtualization solution like QEMU/KVM, you
> will get e1000/e1000e compatible models. Those at least used to work
> fine with RTnet.

Its a oracle virtual box 5.x with Ubuntu16 32-bit running on it as
guest. The host machine is HP Pavilion Laptop with Windows 7.
Yes, I also have e1000 module shown under the module list.
This is my module list with rtnet enabled.

# lsmod | grep rt
rtmac                   7879  1 tdma
rtcfg                  32455  0
rt_loopback             1143  1
rtpacket                5768  0
rtudp                   9262  0
rt_eepro100            14398  0
rtipv4                 21568  2 rtudp,rtcfg
rtnet                  46929  8
rtipv4,rt_loopback,rtmac,rt_eepro100,rtpacket,rtudp,rtcfg,tdma

My question is what is the normal process for bringing up rtnet
interface (rteth0).
If you list down the steps, I will compare with mine and see if
anything is missing.

Normally for me, I follow this:
a) Install xenomai 3.0.6 kernel (using prepare_kernel) on linux mainline kernel.
b) In menuconfig, enable RTDM/RTNET driver, RTCAP and others using (M) option.
c) Enable RTDM serial driver as well (in built) - for later use.
d) Boot the Xenomai kernel.
e) Verify the /dev/rtnet and /dev/rtdm/ is available.
f) Check that ethernet is available in ifconfig.
    It could be: eth0, eth1 OR: enp0s8 etc.
g) Make changes in rtnet.cfg config to enable RTCAP=yes and loopback=yes
h) Start the rtnet script:
     /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtnet start
i) Do "lsmod" and verify that all rt drivers are loaded.
j) Check ifconfig : here we see only rtlo added (along with previous).

I am not making any changes in tdma.conf

Do we need to make any other changes in rtnet.conf file ?
Or do we need to use rtcfg to setup something before starting rtnet ?

Because if we start rtnet , I get this error:
rteth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
rteth0-mac: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

Regards,
Pintu

@ 2018-02-13 18:10       ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-13 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, jan.kiszka, Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:29 PM, Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com> wrote:
> I'll defer to someone with more experience with RTNet, but I'd confirm
> that you have the correct drivers loaded, and that you don't see any
> errors in the kernel log.  Are the non-realtime drivers loaded?

Yes, all driver modules are loaded I guess.
If you are pointing to any thing specific please let me know.

@ 2018-02-13 18:26         ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-02-13 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, jan.kiszka, Xenomai@xenomai.org

Did you get the output of lspci -knn as Jan suggested?

-Greg

@ 2018-02-13 18:51         ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-02-13 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, jan.kiszka, Xenomai@xenomai.org

What I'm getting at is if the native Linux driver is loaded and bound
to the ethernet interface, then the Xenomai driver won't be able to
load.  You'll need to check what driver current is loaded and bound to
the pci interface for you network card. The native driver needs to be
unbound then the Xenomai driver can load and bind properly.

@ 2018-02-14  6:42           ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-14  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: Jan Kiszka, jan.kiszka, Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:56 PM, Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com> wrote:
> Did you get the output of lspci -knn as Jan suggested?

Here, is the output of lspci:

$ lspci -knn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC
[Natoma] [8086:1237] (rev 02)
00:01.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA
[Natoma/Triton II] [8086:7000]
00:01.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4
IDE [8086:7111] (rev 01)
        Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
        Kernel modules: pata_acpi
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
VirtualBox Graphics Adapter [80ee:beef]
        Kernel driver in use: vboxvideo
        Kernel modules: vboxvideo
00:03.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit
Ethernet Controller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter [8086:001e]
        Kernel driver in use: e1000
        Kernel modules: e1000, rt_e1000
00:04.0 System peripheral [0880]: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
VirtualBox Guest Service [80ee:cafe]
        Kernel driver in use: vboxguest
        Kernel modules: vboxguest
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation 82801AA
AC'97 Audio Controller [8086:2415] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Dell 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller [1028:0177]
        Kernel driver in use: snd_intel8x0
        Kernel modules: snd_intel8x0
00:06.0 USB controller [0c03]: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB [106b:003f]
        Kernel driver in use: ohci-pci
00:07.0 Bridge [0680]: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI
[8086:7113] (rev 08)
        Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus
        Kernel modules: i2c_piix4
00:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit
Ethernet Controller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter [8086:001e]
        Kernel driver in use: e1000
        Kernel modules: e1000, rt_e1000
00:0d.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM
(ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:2829] (rev 02)
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci

--------------------------------------
And here the output of lsmod (with rt driver):

$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
tdma                   17488  0
rtmac                   7879  1 tdma
rtcfg                  38752  0
rtcap                   5397  1
rt_loopback             1143  1
rtpacket                5768  0
rtudp                   9262  0
rt_eepro100            14398  0
rtipv4                 21568  2 rtudp,rtcfg
vboxsf                 37824  0
crc32_pclmul            2524  0
aesni_intel            10524  0
aes_i586                7361  1 aesni_intel
lrw                     3595  1 aesni_intel
ablk_helper             2332  1 aesni_intel
cryptd                  9091  1 ablk_helper
snd_intel8x0           27580  2
intel_rapl_perf         6346  0
joydev                  8304  0
snd_ac97_codec         98669  1 snd_intel8x0
vboxvideo              36081  2
ac97_bus                1420  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                82522  2 snd_ac97_codec,snd_intel8x0
ttm                    77681  1 vboxvideo
snd_seq_midi            5325  0
snd_seq_midi_event      5600  1 snd_seq_midi
drm_kms_helper        127184  1 vboxvideo
rt_e1000               86133  0
snd_rawmidi            19353  1 snd_seq_midi
drm                   280276  5 vboxvideo,ttm,drm_kms_helper
snd_seq                47392  2 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_midi
input_leds              2566  0
snd_seq_device          3485  3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi
snd_timer              19107  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    56488  11
snd_seq,snd_ac97_codec,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_intel8x0,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm
rtnet                  47695  10
rtipv4,rt_loopback,rtmac,rt_eepro100,rtpacket,rtcap,rtudp,rt_e1000,rtcfg,tdma
serio_raw               4826  0
vboxguest             225520  6 vboxsf,vboxvideo
soundcore               5748  1 snd
fb_sys_fops             1282  1 drm_kms_helper
syscopyarea             2970  2 vboxvideo,drm_kms_helper
sysfillrect             3238  2 vboxvideo,drm_kms_helper
sysimgblt               2288  2 vboxvideo,drm_kms_helper
mac_hid                 3151  0
i2c_piix4              12723  0
parport_pc             25458  0
ppdev                   7997  0
lp                      7603  0
parport                33603  3 lp,parport_pc,ppdev
autofs4                30618  2
hid_generic             1047  0
usbhid                 42466  0
hid                    88853  2 hid_generic,usbhid
psmouse               116445  0
fjes                   20052  0
ahci                   25179  4
video                  29958  0
libahci                22550  1 ahci
e1000                 118843  0
pata_acpi               2853  0

Here, is the log for network driver:

$ dmesg | grep e1000
[    5.189127] e1000: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.3.21-k8-NAPI
[    5.189129] e1000: Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
[    5.579357] e1000 0000:00:03.0 eth0: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
[    5.579363] e1000 0000:00:03.0 eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
[    5.946696] e1000 0000:00:08.0 eth1: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit) 08:00:27:19:5b:dc
[    5.946700] e1000 0000:00:08.0 eth1: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
[   47.256361] e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow
Control: RX
[   48.796221] e1000: eth1 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow
Control: RX

> What I'm getting at is if the native Linux driver is loaded and bound
> to the ethernet interface, then the Xenomai driver won't be able to
> load.  You'll need to check what driver current is loaded and bound to
> the pci interface for you network card. The native driver needs to be
> unbound then the Xenomai driver can load and bind properly.

You mean to say that I need to first disable/unload the e1000 driver
(non real time)  from kernel, and then start the rtnet so that
rt_e1000 driver should be loaded to expose the rteth0 interfaces ?

I could not find the write process in the RTNET xenomai documentation.
So, could be explain the basic steps in an easy way.
I think this is going to be useful for many other people here as well.

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-02-14  6:45             ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2018-02-14  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On 2018-02-14 07:42, Pintu Kumar wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:56 PM, Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com> wrote:
>> Did you get the output of lspci -knn as Jan suggested?
>>

> Here, is the output of lspci:
>
> $ lspci -knn
> 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC
> [Natoma] [8086:1237] (rev 02)
> 00:01.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA
> [Natoma/Triton II] [8086:7000]
> 00:01.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4
> IDE [8086:7111] (rev 01)
>         Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
>         Kernel modules: pata_acpi
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
> VirtualBox Graphics Adapter [80ee:beef]
>         Kernel driver in use: vboxvideo
>         Kernel modules: vboxvideo
> 00:03.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit
> Ethernet Controller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
>         Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter [8086:001e]
>         Kernel driver in use: e1000
>         Kernel modules: e1000, rt_e1000
> 00:04.0 System peripheral [0880]: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
> VirtualBox Guest Service [80ee:cafe]
>         Kernel driver in use: vboxguest
>         Kernel modules: vboxguest
> 00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation 82801AA
> AC'97 Audio Controller [8086:2415] (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Dell 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller [1028:0177]
>         Kernel driver in use: snd_intel8x0
>         Kernel modules: snd_intel8x0
> 00:06.0 USB controller [0c03]: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB [106b:003f]
>         Kernel driver in use: ohci-pci
> 00:07.0 Bridge [0680]: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI
> [8086:7113] (rev 08)
>         Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus
>         Kernel modules: i2c_piix4
> 00:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit
> Ethernet Controller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
>         Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter [8086:001e]
>         Kernel driver in use: e1000
>         Kernel modules: e1000, rt_e1000

Perfect. So, rt_e1000 is your driver. Now open /etc/rtnet.conf, read the
comments in there, and adjust it to your system.

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai] [rtnet] - help required with rtnet interface bring up
@ 2018-02-14 13:52               ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-14 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Philippe Gerum; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de> wrote:
> On 2018-02-14 07:42, Pintu Kumar wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:56 PM, Greg Gallagher <greg@embeddedgreg.com> wrote:
>>> Did you get the output of lspci -knn as Jan suggested?
>>>

>> Here, is the output of lspci:
>>
>> $ lspci -knn
>> 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC
>> [Natoma] [8086:1237] (rev 02)
>> 00:01.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA
>> [Natoma/Triton II] [8086:7000]
>> 00:01.1 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4
>> IDE [8086:7111] (rev 01)
>>         Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
>>         Kernel modules: pata_acpi
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
>> VirtualBox Graphics Adapter [80ee:beef]
>>         Kernel driver in use: vboxvideo
>>         Kernel modules: vboxvideo
>> 00:03.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit
>> Ethernet Controller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
>>         Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter [8086:001e]
>>         Kernel driver in use: e1000
>>         Kernel modules: e1000, rt_e1000
>> 00:04.0 System peripheral [0880]: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
>> VirtualBox Guest Service [80ee:cafe]
>>         Kernel driver in use: vboxguest
>>         Kernel modules: vboxguest
>> 00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation 82801AA
>> AC'97 Audio Controller [8086:2415] (rev 01)
>>         Subsystem: Dell 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller [1028:0177]
>>         Kernel driver in use: snd_intel8x0
>>         Kernel modules: snd_intel8x0
>> 00:06.0 USB controller [0c03]: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB [106b:003f]
>>         Kernel driver in use: ohci-pci
>> 00:07.0 Bridge [0680]: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI
>> [8086:7113] (rev 08)
>>         Kernel driver in use: piix4_smbus
>>         Kernel modules: i2c_piix4
>> 00:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit
>> Ethernet Controller [8086:100e] (rev 02)
>>         Subsystem: Intel Corporation PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter [8086:001e]
>>         Kernel driver in use: e1000
>>         Kernel modules: e1000, rt_e1000
>
> Perfect. So, rt_e1000 is your driver. Now open /etc/rtnet.conf, read the
> comments in there, and adjust it to your system.

Ok thank you so much. I got a clue and something is working now. But
still not perfect.

I followed the following steps:
1) sudo ifconfig [eth0/eth1] down
2) Remove the existing ethernet driver (e1000) => modprobe -r e1000
3) Changed the rtnet.conf:
    RT_DRIVER="rt_e1000"
4) Blank ip address as per comments there => IPADDR=""
5) sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtnet start
6) Got this:
    Waiting for all slaves...
7) Pressed ^C to stop

8) Now when I check : ifconfig, I got this:

$ ifconfig

rteth0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:41332 (41.3 KB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

rteth0-mac Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:41332 (41.3 KB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

rtlo      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
          inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

vnic0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1496  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:578 (578.0 B)

$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig
rteth0    Medium: Ethernet  Hardware address: 08:00:27:52:BA:F1
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU: 1500

rtlo      Medium: Local Loopback
          IP address: 127.0.0.1
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU: 1500

So, I still have the following queries:
1) Why only rteth0 is up, and not eth1 (earlier I have both eth0 and eth1) ?

2) Why IP address is not shown under rteth0 ?
     Earlier, the network was associated with :
           eth0 => inet addr:10.0.2.15
           eth1 => inet addr:192.168.56.101

These are the kernel logs during rtnet installation:

               *** RTnet for Xenomai v3.0.6 ***

[84221.150295] RTnet: initialising real-time networking
[84221.202520] Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.1.9
[84221.202523] Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
[84221.526522] e1000: 0000:00:03.0: e1000_probe: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit)
[84221.526525] 08:
[84221.526526] 00:
[84221.526528] 27:
[84221.526529] 52:
[84221.526531] ba:
[84221.526533] f1
[84221.575234] RTnet: registered rteth0
[84221.575237] e1000: rteth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
[84221.900806] e1000: 0000:00:08.0: e1000_probe: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit)
[84221.900810] 08:
[84221.900812] 00:
[84221.900814] 27:
[84221.900816] 19:
[84221.900818] 5b:
[84221.900819] dc
[84221.946479] RTnet: registered rteth1
[84221.946482] e1000: rteth1: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
[84221.976448] initializing loopback...
[84221.976458] RTnet: registered rtlo
[84221.982513] RTcap: real-time capturing interface
[84222.039892] ModemManager[10059]: segfault at 0 ip 0806f964 sp
bfb7bd80 error 4 in ModemManager[8048000+121000]
[84222.089678] RTcfg: init real-time configuration distribution protocol
[84222.149775] RTmac: init realtime media access control
[84222.177704] RTmac/TDMA: init time division multiple access control mechanism
[84222.179821] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
event=RTCFG_CMD_SERVER, state=RTCFG_MAIN_OFF
[84222.179824] RTcfg: next main state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
[84224.194058] e1000: rteth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps
Full Duplex
[84225.422825] ModemManager[10435]: segfault at 0 ip 0806f964 sp
bfb85f40 error 4 in ModemManager[8048000+121000]
[84225.434788] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
event=RTCFG_CMD_ADD, state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
[84225.435376] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
event=RTCFG_CMD_ADD, state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
[84225.435939] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
event=RTCFG_CMD_ADD, state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
[84225.438018] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
event=RTCFG_CMD_WAIT, state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
[84226.179858] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
[84226.179870] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
[84226.179872] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
[84227.179861] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
[84227.179877] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
[84227.179879] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
[84228.180889] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame

These error is flowing continuously in the kernel logs. What does this
indicates ?

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-02-15  7:06                 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2018-02-15  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar, Philippe Gerum; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On 2018-02-14 14:52, Pintu Kumar wrote:
> [...]
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
>
> vnic0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
>           inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1496  Metric:1
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:578 (578.0 B)
>

> $ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig
> rteth0    Medium: Ethernet  Hardware address: 08:00:27:52:BA:F1
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU: 1500
>
> rtlo      Medium: Local Loopback
>           IP address: 127.0.0.1
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU: 1500

> So, I still have the following queries:
> 1) Why only rteth0 is up, and not eth1 (earlier I have both eth0 and eth1) ?

The startup script only supports one interface. Think of it as a
template for more complex custom setups. The question you need to answer
for yourself is then also which of the RTnet features (RTcfg, RTmac,
TDMA,...) you want and how you'd like to set up the overall network.

> 2) Why IP address is not shown under rteth0 ?
>      Earlier, the network was associated with :
>            eth0 => inet addr:10.0.2.15
>            eth1 => inet addr:192.168.56.101

Because you didn't set one, as you stated above, and you didn't set up a
RTcfg master that could hand one out.

> These are the kernel logs during rtnet installation:
>
>                *** RTnet for Xenomai v3.0.6 ***
>
> [84221.150295] RTnet: initialising real-time networking
> [84221.202520] Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version 7.1.9
> [84221.202523] Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
> [84221.526522] e1000: 0000:00:03.0: e1000_probe: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit)
> [84221.526525] 08:
> [84221.526526] 00:
> [84221.526528] 27:
> [84221.526529] 52:
> [84221.526531] ba:
> [84221.526533] f1
> [84221.575234] RTnet: registered rteth0
> [84221.575237] e1000: rteth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
> [84221.900806] e1000: 0000:00:08.0: e1000_probe: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit)
> [84221.900810] 08:
> [84221.900812] 00:
> [84221.900814] 27:
> [84221.900816] 19:
> [84221.900818] 5b:
> [84221.900819] dc
> [84221.946479] RTnet: registered rteth1
> [84221.946482] e1000: rteth1: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
> [84221.976448] initializing loopback...
> [84221.976458] RTnet: registered rtlo
> [84221.982513] RTcap: real-time capturing interface
> [84222.039892] ModemManager[10059]: segfault at 0 ip 0806f964 sp
> bfb7bd80 error 4 in ModemManager[8048000+121000]
> [84222.089678] RTcfg: init real-time configuration distribution protocol
> [84222.149775] RTmac: init realtime media access control
> [84222.177704] RTmac/TDMA: init time division multiple access control mechanism
> [84222.179821] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
> event=RTCFG_CMD_SERVER, state=RTCFG_MAIN_OFF
> [84222.179824] RTcfg: next main state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
> [84224.194058] e1000: rteth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps
> Full Duplex
> [84225.422825] ModemManager[10435]: segfault at 0 ip 0806f964 sp
> bfb85f40 error 4 in ModemManager[8048000+121000]
> [84225.434788] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
> event=RTCFG_CMD_ADD, state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
> [84225.435376] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
> event=RTCFG_CMD_ADD, state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
> [84225.435939] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
> event=RTCFG_CMD_ADD, state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
> [84225.438018] RTcfg: rtcfg_do_main_event() rtdev=1,
> event=RTCFG_CMD_WAIT, state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
> [84226.179858] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
> [84226.179870] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
> [84226.179872] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
> [84227.179861] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
> [84227.179877] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
> [84227.179879] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
> [84228.180889] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
>
> These error is flowing continuously in the kernel logs. What does this
> indicates ?

The error may indicate that packet transmission via rteth0 is not
working properly. Maybe the rtnet driver is not fully supporting that
NIC, or interrupts do not arrive for the NIC (check /proc/xenomai/irqs),
or you simply lack a (virtual) link on that interface.

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai] [rtnet] - help required with rtnet interface bring up
@ 2018-02-15 13:58                   ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-15 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 12:36 PM, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de> wrote:
> On 2018-02-14 14:52, Pintu Kumar wrote:

>>> Perfect. So, rt_e1000 is your driver. Now open /etc/rtnet.conf, read the
>>> comments in there, and adjust it to your system.
>>>

>> Ok thank you so much. I got a clue and something is working now. But
>> still not perfect.
>>
>> I followed the following steps:
>> 1) sudo ifconfig [eth0/eth1] down
>> 2) Remove the existing ethernet driver (e1000) => modprobe -r e1000
>> 3) Changed the rtnet.conf:
>>     RT_DRIVER="rt_e1000"
>> 4) Blank ip address as per comments there => IPADDR=""
>> 5) sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtnet start
>> 6) Got this:
>>     Waiting for all slaves...
>> 7) Pressed ^C to stop
>>
>> 8) Now when I check : ifconfig, I got this:
>>
>> $ ifconfig
>>
>> rteth0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
>>           inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
>>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>>           RX packets:1465 errors:0 dropped:1465 overruns:0 frame:0
>>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>>           RX bytes:41332 (41.3 KB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
>>
>> rteth0-mac Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
>>           inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
>>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>>           RX packets:1465 errors:0 dropped:7 overruns:0 frame:0
>>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>>           RX bytes:41332 (41.3 KB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
>>
>> rtlo      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
>>           inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
>>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>>           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
>>
>> vnic0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
>>           inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
>>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1496  Metric:1
>>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>>           TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:578 (578.0 B)
>>

>> $ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig
>> rteth0    Medium: Ethernet  Hardware address: 08:00:27:52:BA:F1
>>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU: 1500
>>
>> rtlo      Medium: Local Loopback
>>           IP address: 127.0.0.1
>>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU: 1500

>> So, I still have the following queries:
>> 1) Why only rteth0 is up, and not eth1 (earlier I have both eth0 and eth1) ?
>>

> The startup script only supports one interface. Think of it as a
> template for more complex custom setups. The question you need to answer
> for yourself is then also which of the RTnet features (RTcfg, RTmac,
> TDMA,...) you want and how you'd like to set up the overall network.

Ok, I manually enabled rteth1 : # rtifconfig rteth1 up
But still rteth1 is not up.

But the kernel logs says, both eth0 and eth1 is up
[ 2718.418361] e1000: 0000:00:03.0: e1000_probe: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit)
[ 2718.462851] e1000: rteth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
[ 2718.787156] e1000: 0000:00:08.0: e1000_probe: (PCI:33MHz:32-bit)
[ 2718.834465] e1000: rteth1: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection
[ 2721.212519] e1000: rteth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps
Full Duplex

>> 2) Why IP address is not shown under rteth0 ?
>>      Earlier, the network was associated with :
>>            eth0 => inet addr:10.0.2.15
>>            eth1 => inet addr:192.168.56.101
>
> Because you didn't set one, as you stated above, and you didn't set up a
> RTcfg master that could hand one out.

Ok, I set the ip address of eth0 (10.0.2.15) in the script, but still
IP address is not visible.

$ ifconfig

rteth0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2707980 (2.7 MB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

vnic0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
          inet addr:10.0.2.15  Bcast:10.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1496  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:7418 (7.4 KB)

Instead, it showing under vnic0.
But still I could ping: 10.0.2.15
Is this correct behavior ?

However, it is shown under: rtifconfig

$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig
rteth0    Medium: Ethernet  Hardware address: 08:00:27:52:BA:F1
          IP address: 10.0.2.15  Broadcast address: 10.255.255.255
> [...]

>> event=RTCFG_CMD_WAIT, state=RTCFG_MAIN_SERVER_RUNNING
>> [84226.179858] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
>> [84226.179870] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
>> [84226.179872] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
>> [84227.179861] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
>> [84227.179877] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
>> [84227.179879] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
>> [84228.180889] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
>>
>> These error is flowing continuously in the kernel logs. What does this
>> indicates ?
>>

> The error may indicate that packet transmission via rteth0 is not
> working properly. Maybe the rtnet driver is not fully supporting that
> NIC, or interrupts do not arrive for the NIC (check /proc/xenomai/irqs),
> or you simply lack a (virtual) link on that interface.

Here is the output of /proc/xenomai/irq

$ cat /proc/xenomai/irq
  IRQ         CPU0        CPU1
   19:           0       39710         rteth0
 2304:           0           0         [sync]
 2305:           3           5         [reschedule]
 2306:      207869      151958         [timer/0]
 2307:           2           0         [timer-ipi]
 2339:          12           8         [virtual]

With this error, I cannot proceed further to measure latency over rtnet.
How to resolve this error ?
Is there any work around ?

@ 2018-02-19 14:19                     ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-19 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Dear Jan,

Thank you so much for your help so far.
Please give some more hints, and I will be able to test my UDP socket
program over RTnet interface.
I think I am very close to it.

With some manual steps, currently, the problem I am facing is rteth0
is up (shown in ifconfig), but its not connecting to real network (I
cannot ping from another PC).

I have 2 interface shown (in non-real time mode) : eth0 & eth1
I am actually interested in eth1 (192.168.56.101), because this is the
one accessible to outside, and I use it to connect it to PUTTY (on
windows).

So, I tried the following:
1) First I replaced the eth0 to eth1 in rtnet script (all places).

2) Along with this I also changed few things in rtnet.conf as follows:
    - RT_DRIVER_OPTIONS="cards=1,0"
    - IPADDR="192.168.56.101"
    - RTCAP="yes"
    - Commented out: TDMA_SLAVES, TDMA_CYCLE, TDMA_OFFSET

3) Uninstalled the non-rt driver: e1000 , and start the rtnet
    - sudo modprobe -r e1000
    - sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtnet start
But still in the logs, it says:
rteth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
rteth1-mac: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

Why rteth1 not working?

4) Then I tried doing it manually:
     - sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig rteth0 up 192.168.56.101
     - sudo ifconfig rteth0 up 192.168.56.101

After this I get the IP Address in both ifconfig and rtifconfig.
But still it does not connect to network.
When I check properly I noticed that the HWaddr is not correctly
assigned as before for the IP Address: 192.168.56.101
Earlier (non-rt case);
eth0 : inet addr: 10.0.2.15 ; HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
eth1 : inet addr: 192.168.56.101 ; HWaddr 08:00:27:19:5b:dc

But with rteth0, I am getting for eth0:
rteth0: inet addr:192.168.56.101 ; HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1

rtifconfig
rteth0    Medium: Ethernet  Hardware address: 08:00:27:52:BA:F1
          IP address: 192.168.56.101  Broadcast address: 192.168.56.255
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU: 1500

5) When I ping it still gives loopback ip address:
sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtping 192.168.56.101
Real-time PING 192.168.56.101 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 time=9.9 us
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 time=10.2 us

Where as if I ping using "ping" command it gives correct ip address:
ping 192.168.56.101
64 bytes from 192.168.56.101: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.024 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.56.101: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.021 ms

But, still I am not able to access the IP from outside. The network is
not connected.

6) When I see rtroute, it says:
sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtroute
Host Routing Table
Hash Destination HW Address Device
00 0.0.0.0  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
01 127.0.0.1  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
25 192.168.56.101 00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
3F 192.168.56.255 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF rteth0

Just, route:
$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.56.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 rteth0

So, my question is, how to make rteth1 up, so that I can access the IP
(192.168.56.101) from outside.

If you have any suggestion, please help!

Once again, thank you so much till now for all your help and support.
It was really helpful to understand.

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-02-20  6:43                       ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-20  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Dear Jan,

I had two network adapter setup in my virtual box:
NAT0: NAT network
NAT1: Host-only adapter

Now I removed NAT1, and changed NAT0 to Host only type
So, now I just have only one ethernet interface (eth0).

After this if I install RTnet, rteth0 is up, but still it does not
connect to the host PC.
(I cannot ping the IP address from host).

Note: The ip address is visible only in vnic0 and not in rteth0.

And I still get the kernel errors flooded:
[58710.438552] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
[58710.438585] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame
[58710.438602] RTcfg: error -11 while sending stage 1 frame

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Here is the output from ifconfig:

pintu@osboxes:~$ ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
          RX bytes:4594 (4.5 KB)  TX bytes:4594 (4.5 KB)

rteth0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2584501 (2.5 MB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

rteth0-mac Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2584501 (2.5 MB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

rtlo      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
          inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:504 (504.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

vnic0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:52:ba:f1
          inet addr:192.168.56.102  Bcast:192.168.56.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe52:baf1/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1496  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:7598 (7.5 KB)

pintu@osboxes:~$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig
[sudo] password for pintu:
rteth0    Medium: Ethernet  Hardware address: 08:00:27:52:BA:F1
          IP address: 192.168.56.102  Broadcast address: 192.168.56.255

pintu@osboxes:~$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtroute
Host Routing Table
Hash Destination HW Address Device
00 0.0.0.0  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
01 192.168.56.1  0A:00:27:00:00:12 rteth0
01 127.0.0.1  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
26 192.168.56.102 00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo

@ 2018-02-20 12:57                         ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2018-02-20 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On 2018-02-20 07:43, Pintu Kumar wrote:
> [...]
>           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:57 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:7598 (7.5 KB)
>
> pintu@osboxes:~$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig
> [sudo] password for pintu:
> rteth0    Medium: Ethernet  Hardware address: 08:00:27:52:BA:F1
>           IP address: 192.168.56.102  Broadcast address: 192.168.56.255
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU: 1500
>
> rtlo      Medium: Local Loopback
>           IP address: 127.0.0.1
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU: 1500
>
> pintu@osboxes:~$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtroute
> Host Routing Table
> Hash Destination HW Address Device
> 00 0.0.0.0  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
> 01 192.168.56.1  0A:00:27:00:00:12 rteth0
> 01 127.0.0.1  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
> 26 192.168.56.102 00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
> 3F 192.168.56.255 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF rteth0

Key question, once again: Do you want RTmac/TDMA and medium access
control mechanism? If yes, do you have a full RTnet stack running on
BOTH ends already?

If no, don't use the rtnet start script. Only configure what you
actually need. You can follow init_rtnet() from that script for these steps.

Jan

* Re: [Xenomai] [rtnet] - help required with rtnet interface bring up
@ 2018-02-20 16:57                           ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-20 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 6:27 PM, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@web.de> wrote:
> [...]
>>           IP address: 192.168.56.102  Broadcast address: 192.168.56.255
>>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU: 1500
>>
>> rtlo      Medium: Local Loopback
>>           IP address: 127.0.0.1
>>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU: 1500
>>
>> pintu@osboxes:~$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtroute
>> Host Routing Table
>> Hash Destination HW Address Device
>> 00 0.0.0.0  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
>> 01 192.168.56.1  0A:00:27:00:00:12 rteth0
>> 01 127.0.0.1  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
>> 26 192.168.56.102 00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
>> 3F 192.168.56.255 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF rteth0
>>

> Key question, once again: Do you want RTmac/TDMA and medium access
> control mechanism? If yes, do you have a full RTnet stack running on
> BOTH ends already?
>
> If no, don't use the rtnet start script. Only configure what you
> actually need. You can follow init_rtnet() from that script for these steps.

OK. Thank you so much for all your help, and sorry for troubling you so much.

I think I have also tried manually. But still I am not able to ping from host.

I followed the below steps.

1) rtnet stop = > since the rtnet driver was already loaded from boot.
2) modprobe -r e1000 (remove non-rt driver)
3) modprobe rtnet
4) modprobe rt_e1000
5) rtifconfig rtlo up 127.0.0.1
6) rtifconfig rteth0 up 192.168.56.101

After this only vnic0 is visible in ifconfig (with IP address).
After that I also did:

7) ifconfig rtlo up
8) ifconfig rteth0 up

Now, rtlo and rteth0 is visible, but I could not ping the IP from outside.
Also, if I ping 192.168.56.101 locally also, it still returns 127.0.0.1

So, I tried changing the route, but no success.

If any steps is missed out please let me know.

Tomorrow, I will also cross check with init_inet() and update.

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-02-21 10:17                             ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-21 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Dear Jan,

>> If no, don't use the rtnet start script. Only configure what you
>> actually need. You can follow init_rtnet() from that script for these steps.

I tried the exact same steps as listed in init_inet(), but still
network is not connected.
Please see the steps below:

sudo modprobe rtnet
sudo modprobe rtipv4
sudo modprobe rt_e1000
sudo modprobe rt_loopback
sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig rtlo up 127.0.0.1
sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig rteth0 up 192.168.56.102 netmask 255.255.255.0
sudo modprobe rtcfg
#sudo modprobe rtmac
#sudo modprobe tdma

After this, rtifconfig shows:
$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig
rteth0    Medium: Ethernet  Hardware address: 08:00:27:52:BA:F1
          IP address: 192.168.56.102  Broadcast address: 192.168.56.255
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU: 1500

rtlo      Medium: Local Loopback
          IP address: 127.0.0.1
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU: 1500

And rtroute table shows:

$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtroute
Host Routing Table
Hash Destination HW Address Device
00 0.0.0.0  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
01 127.0.0.1  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
26 192.168.56.102 00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
3F 192.168.56.255 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF rteth0

Moreover, if I ping 192.168.56.101 IP address, it shows loopback address.

$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtping 192.168.56.102
Real-time PING 192.168.56.102 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 time=5.6 us
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 time=7.5 us

In Ubuntu network, it still shows disconnected.
And it displays:
Ethernet Network()
device not managed

Do you think this problem is related to Virtual Box?
If I try on actual Ubuntu PC, will it work ?

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-02-21 10:57                             ` Paul Wilkinson
From: Paul Wilkinson @ 2018-02-21 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

> [...]

I think I have also tried manually. But still I am not able to ping from host.

I followed the below steps.

1) rtnet stop = > since the rtnet driver was already loaded from boot.
2) modprobe -r e1000 (remove non-rt driver)
3) modprobe rtnet
4) modprobe rt_e1000
5) rtifconfig rtlo up 127.0.0.1
6) rtifconfig rteth0 up 192.168.56.101

After this only vnic0 is visible in ifconfig (with IP address).
After that I also did:

7) ifconfig rtlo up
8) ifconfig rteth0 up

Now, rtlo and rteth0 is visible, but I could not ping the IP from outside.
Also, if I ping 192.168.56.101 locally also, it still returns 127.0.0.1

So, I tried changing the route, but no success.

If any steps is missed out please let me know.

Tomorrow, I will also cross check with init_inet() and update.

It's been a while since I setup or used rtnet, but I recall needing to run the  rtroute command before being able to ping to and from.

Eg 'rtroute add 192.168.56.101 Mac-Address-Of-rteth0-NIC dev rteth0'

Add destination to rteth0 routing table manually (same as above but with destination IP and MAC addresses) or ping 192.168.56.101 from destination and the destination route is added to rteth0 routing table, complete with destination MAC address.

'rtroute' wil list the current routing table.

Paul.

* Re: [Xenomai] [rtnet] - help required with rtnet interface bring up
@ 2018-02-21 12:32                               ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-21 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wilkinson; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 4:27 PM, Paul Wilkinson <paul.w@mrmoco.com> wrote:

> [...]

Dear Paul, Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Yes, I already tried attaching the route, but still I am not connected.
In fact the situation becomes more worse.
I am not able to ping that IP using rtping.

Please see the details below:

Previous rtroute table entry:
---------------------------------------
$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtroute
Host Routing Table
Hash Destination HW Address Device
01 127.0.0.1  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
26 192.168.56.102 00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
3F 192.168.56.255 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF rteth0

After this when I do rtping, I get:
$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtping 192.168.56.102
Real-time PING 192.168.56.102 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 time=5.1 us
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 time=6.8 us
^C

After adding the route manually:
$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtroute add 192.168.56.102 08:00:27:52:BA:F1 dev rteth0

$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtroute
Host Routing Table
Hash Destination HW Address Device
01 127.0.0.1  00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
26 192.168.56.102 08:00:27:52:BA:F1 rteth0
26 192.168.56.102 00:00:00:00:00:00 rtlo
3F 192.168.56.255 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF rteth0

$ sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtping 192.168.56.102
Real-time PING 192.168.56.102 56(84) bytes of data.
ioctl: Resource temporarily unavailable

If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-02-21 14:04                                 ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-02-21 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Wilkinson, Jan Kiszka, Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 4:27 PM, Paul Wilkinson <paul.w@mrmoco.com> wrote:

One more question, what is the purpose of REBIND_RT_NICS ?

If I add the line like this:
REBIND_RT_NICS="0000:00:03.0"

Then, when I stop rtnet, the non-real time driver is automatically loading.
Do I need to set it, considering I am using same network for both.

And, these are the final steps I followed:

sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtnet stop
sudo modprobe -r e1000
sudo modprobe rtnet
sudo modprobe rtipv4
sudo modprobe rt_e1000
sudo modprobe rtudp
sudo modprobe rtpacket
sudo modprobe rt_loopback
sudo echo 0000:00:03.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/rt_e1000/bind
sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig rtlo up 127.0.0.1
sudo /usr/xenomai/sbin/rtifconfig rteth0 up 192.168.56.102 netmask 255.255.255.0
sudo modprobe rtcfg
#sudo modprobe rtmac
#sudo modprobe tdma

But, now rteth0 is not coming up.