* [Xenomai] beaglebone: arm: xeno-test gives segmentation fault - test dlopen failed
@ 2018-06-26  7:22 Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-26  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,
I am using Kernel 4.9.51 for beagle bone black with xenomai patches
from xenomai-next repo.

I have installed xenomai-3-next using below:
# ./scripts/bootstrap
# ./configure --with-pic --with-core=cobalt --enable-smp --disable-tls
--enable-dlopen-libs
# make
# make install

After that when I run xeno-test I get below error, and the test stopped.

# root@bdk:~# /usr/xenomai/bin/xeno-test
vdso_access OK
xddp skipped (no kernel support)
Segmentation fault
/usr/xenomai/bin/smokey: test dlopen failed: Unknown error -1

If you have any clue about this error, please let me know.

Thanks,
Pintu

* Re: [Xenomai] beaglebone: arm: xeno-test gives segmentation fault - test dlopen failed
@ 2018-06-26 14:43 ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-26 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai@xenomai.org, Greg Gallagher

Dear Greg,

Please let me know how to disable "dlopen" test in xenomai-next.

I even tried, without dlopen parameter during ./configure but still I
get the same issue.
#  ./configure --enable-smp

We did not face this issue earlier on xenomai-3 stable branch.
So, I am planning to disable it right now.
Please help!

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-06-26 15:27   ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-06-26 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,
  I'll take a look at this tonight.  I'll confirm if this test  is
crashing on all platforms or just BB.  To disable I believe you'll
have to recompile the tests.

-Greg

@ 2018-06-26 16:46     ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-26 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Ok Greg thanks a lot.

Yes, I can recompile it, but for now I want to get rid of this dlopen
to pass rest of xeno-test.
Please let me know how to disable it from configure.ac

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-06-26 17:37       ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-26 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

One more thing,
On x86 xeno-test works fine even with dlopen.

This problem is seen only of arm and arm64 boards.

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-06-27 10:41         ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-27 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher, Henning Schild; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Dear Henning,

I saw your commit regarding dlopen here:
https://xenomai.org/pipermail/xenomai/2018-February/038351.html

We are facing dlopen error with xeno-test on arm (beagle bone) and
arm64 (hikey) boards.
Segmentation fault
/usr/xenomai/bin/smokey: test dlopen failed: Unknown error -1

Do you have any clue regarding this issue.
Earlier xeno-test worked for us, but after this commit xeno-test is failing.

Currently we dont need dlopen test.
So, please let us know how to disable dlopen test to pass the xeno-test report.

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-06-27 12:37           ` Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2018-06-27 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi Pintu,

i guess you might be using v3.0.6. There are a couple of commits on top
of that
https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/commit/aa008686091484c88cbb809bc190133a98769a30
and 2 parents
All three are in v3.0.7, which hopefully solves your problem.

regards,
Henning

@ 2018-06-27 13:00             ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-27 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Dear Henning,

Thanks so much for your reply.
I am actually using xenomai-next branch.
With last commit as:
commit ffb68112e2342a62a1f70916a35a3d68e875b12c
Author: Philippe Gerum <rpm@xenomai.org>
Date:   Mon May 21 12:54:59 2018 +0200

    scripts/prepare-kernel.sh: drop left overs from obsolete ports

Anyways, I will check with your reference commits.

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-06-27 13:17               ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-27 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,

One doubt, how do we clone 3.0.7 ?
Is it part of the following branches?
  remotes/origin/next
  remotes/origin/stable/v3.0.x

I could not find any branch with the name 3.0.7.

Is all 3 patches important, or only this is fine:
build: link dlopen libs with "nodelete"
smokey/dlopen: fix testcase

Sorry, but can you list down all 3 commits.

Thanks,
Pintu

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-06-27 13:21                 ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-27 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,

Sorry, but both the below patches are already applied to my xenomai-next repo:
build: link dlopen libs with "nodelete"
smokey/dlopen: fix testcase

Still I am facing dlopen issue.
Is there any other patches I am missing?

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-06-27 14:27                   ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-06-27 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

I'm not that familiar with autotools (still learning), but I removed
this from configure.ac :

diff --git a/configure.ac b/configure.ac
index 4f9b1f9..a84dd14 100644
--- a/configure.ac
+++ b/configure.ac
@@ -881,7 +881,6 @@ AC_CONFIG_FILES([ \
        testsuite/spitest/Makefile \
        testsuite/smokey/Makefile \
        testsuite/smokey/arith/Makefile \
-       testsuite/smokey/dlopen/Makefile \
        testsuite/smokey/sched-quota/Makefile \
        testsuite/smokey/sched-tp/Makefile \
        testsuite/smokey/setsched/Makefile \

And I don't see the dlopen tests being built.  This may get you past
the test failing for now.  I'll add to the to do llist to test this
with the latest version of the stable branch.

-Greg

@ 2018-06-28 15:36                   ` Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2018-06-28 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,

could you please try v3.0.7 (733a32b71f77dfb3e7a64039d0692e6c9d5d1cfe)
this is a tag not a branch. Or use branch "stable/v3.0.x".
The commit from "next" you mentioned does not exist anymore, one of the
pleasures of using git ... do not use "next" unless you really have to!

If you are not using dlopen just drop "--enable-dlopen-libs" from your
configure options.

Henning

Am Wed, 27 Jun 2018 18:51:03 +0530

@ 2018-06-28 16:35                     ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-28 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 9:06 PM Henning Schild
<henning.schild@siemens.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> could you please try v3.0.7 (733a32b71f77dfb3e7a64039d0692e6c9d5d1cfe)

How to clone 3.0.7 as a git repo (not the tar)?

> this is a tag not a branch. Or use branch "stable/v3.0.x".

Ok, will try with stable on Beaglebone. But as I see stable also
contains the same dlopen fixes.

> The commit from "next" you mentioned does not exist anymore, one of the
> pleasures of using git ... do not use "next" unless you really have to!

I guess, arm64 support is present only on "next" branch.
Since we want to maintain single kernel for all (x86, arm, arm64) we
choose next branch.
And AFAIK, next branch should always contain all the patches from
previous stable branch.

> If you are not using dlopen just drop "--enable-dlopen-libs" from your
> configure options.

Yes, I did not use this, but still I get dlopen error on ARM - beaglebone.
I just used:
# ./configure --enable-smp

Also, on x86, it works if I just use:
# ./configure

But same dlopen error if I use:
# ./configure --enable-dlopen-libs

And, I wanted to know how to disable this config from xenomai-3 - configure.ac
CONFIG_XENO_LIBS_DLOPEN

@ 2018-06-29 15:42                       ` Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2018-06-29 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar, Philippe Gerum; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,

i had a closer look. You might want to revert the following commit
https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/commit/408c93e26438c83c08f216a2c8bd7079253cf71a

It does include the testcase in the build even if the feature is
disabled.

Henning

Am Thu, 28 Jun 2018 22:05:48 +0530

@ 2018-06-29 15:52                         ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2018-06-29 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild, Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On 06/29/2018 05:42 PM, Henning Schild wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i had a closer look. You might want to revert the following commit
> https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/commit/408c93e26438c83c08f216a2c8bd7079253cf71a
>
> It does include the testcase in the build even if the feature is
> disabled.

I don't think so. It includes the testcase in the source distribution
allowing "make distcheck" to succeed, even if the test has not be built
in the smokey driver, which fixes a build regression introduced by
dlopen. Tests built in the executable must be listed in COBALT_SUBDIRS,
which dlopen isn't unless --enable-dlopen-libs has been given.

If you want to exclude the dlopen test from the test series at runtime,
you can pass "--exclude=dlopen" on the command line to smokey, as
mentioned in the help strings (smokey --help).

--
Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai] beaglebone: arm: xeno-test gives segmentation fault - test dlopen failed
@ 2018-06-29 16:07                           ` Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2018-06-29 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Am Fri, 29 Jun 2018 17:52:44 +0200
schrieb Philippe Gerum <rpm@xenomai.org>:

> On 06/29/2018 05:42 PM, Henning Schild wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i had a closer look. You might want to revert the following commit
> > https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/commit/408c93e26438c83c08f216a2c8bd7079253cf71a
> >
> > It does include the testcase in the build even if the feature is
> > disabled.
> >

> I don't think so. It includes the testcase in the source distribution
> allowing "make distcheck" to succeed, even if the test has not be
> built in the smokey driver, which fixes a build regression introduced
> by dlopen. Tests built in the executable must be listed in
> COBALT_SUBDIRS, which dlopen isn't unless --enable-dlopen-libs has
> been given.

Yes, you are right. I just saw a "+= dlopen" in the resulting Makefile
but that should not cause the problem.

Pintu: Please build in a completely fresh environment i.e. "git clean
-dfx; autoreconf -i; ./configure". And now give me

grep dlopening -A1 config.log
grep am__append_1 testsuite/smokey/Makefile
autoreconf --version

Ideally with a hash i can find on gitlab.denx.de.

Henning

@ 2018-06-29 17:12                             ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-06-29 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 9:37 PM Henning Schild
<henning.schild@siemens.com> wrote:

> Am Fri, 29 Jun 2018 17:52:44 +0200
> schrieb Philippe Gerum <rpm@xenomai.org>:
>
> > On 06/29/2018 05:42 PM, Henning Schild wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i had a closer look. You might want to revert the following commit
> > > https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/commit/408c93e26438c83c08f216a2c8bd7079253cf71a
> > >
> > > It does include the testcase in the build even if the feature is
> > > disabled.
> > >

> > I don't think so. It includes the testcase in the source distribution
> > allowing "make distcheck" to succeed, even if the test has not be
> > built in the smokey driver, which fixes a build regression introduced
> > by dlopen. Tests built in the executable must be listed in
> > COBALT_SUBDIRS, which dlopen isn't unless --enable-dlopen-libs has
> > been given.
>
> Yes, you are right. I just saw a "+= dlopen" in the resulting Makefile
> but that should not cause the problem.
>
> Pintu: Please build in a completely fresh environment i.e. "git clean
> -dfx; autoreconf -i; ./configure". And now give me
>
> grep dlopening -A1 config.log
> grep am__append_1 testsuite/smokey/Makefile
> autoreconf --version

OK. Thank you so much.
I will try this on Monday and let you know.

> Ideally with a hash i can find on gitlab.denx.de.
>
> Henning
>

> > If you want to exclude the dlopen test from the test series at
> > runtime, you can pass "--exclude=dlopen" on the command line to
> > smokey, as mentioned in the help strings (smokey --help).

OK. Thanks for this info. However, when I run xeno-test it
automatically includes smokey test.
How do I exclude from xeno-test itself ?
We have a criteria to attach xeno-test report as the success result.

* Re: beaglebone: arm: xeno-test gives segmentation fault - test dlopen failed
@ 2018-11-27  9:58                               ` Pintu Agarwal
From: Pintu Agarwal @ 2018-11-27  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Philippe Gerum, Greg Gallagher, Xenomai@xenomai.org

Dear Henning, Greg and all,

Sorry, re-checking after a long time.

The dlopen test is still failing on Beagle Bone black with xenomai-3.
Yesterday, I just freshly cloned the xenomai-3 repo, build and install
on beagle bone black, then run xeno-test/smokey test.
Found that dlopen test is still crashing. I though this issue is
already fixed, but not.

Here are the results:

~/xenomai-3# cat .git/config
url = https://git.xenomai.org/xenomai-3.git

~/xenomai-3# git branch
* master

./configure --with-pic --with-core=cobalt --enable-smp --disable-tls
--enable-dlopen-libs
make
make install

:/usr/xenomai/bin# ./smokey --run
arith OK
bufp skipped (no kernel support)
cpu_affinity OK
fpu_stress OK
iddp skipped (no kernel support)
leaks OK
memory_coreheap OK
memory_heapmem OK
memory_tlsf OK
net_packet_dgram skipped (no kernel support)
net_packet_raw skipped (no kernel support)
net_udp skipped (no kernel support)
posix_clock OK
posix_cond OK
posix_fork OK
posix_mutex OK
posix_select OK
rtdm skipped (no kernel support)
sched_quota skipped (no kernel support)
sched_tp skipped (no kernel support)
setsched OK
sigdebug skipped (no kernel support)
timerfd OK
tsc OK
vdso_access OK
xddp skipped (no kernel support)
Segmentation fault
./smokey: test dlopen failed: Unknown error -1

~/xenomai-3# /usr/xenomai/bin/dlopentest
Segmentation fault

So, basically, dlopentest results into Segmentation Fault on arm.

Note:
Disabling dlopen from "configure" does not cause this issue, and
xeno-test/smokey test pass successfully.
But I am wondering why dlopen test may fail on arm (on x86 it works).

So, it some packages or configuration that I am missing on my Beagle Bone ?
Can anybody describe the root cause (if already investigated earlier)...

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-11-27 13:00                                 ` Pintu Agarwal
From: Pintu Agarwal @ 2018-11-27 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Philippe Gerum, Greg Gallagher, Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 3:28 PM Pintu Agarwal <pintu.ping@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Henning, Greg and all,
>
> Sorry, re-checking after a long time.
>
> The dlopen test is still failing on Beagle Bone black with xenomai-3.
> Yesterday, I just freshly cloned the xenomai-3 repo, build and install
> on beagle bone black, then run xeno-test/smokey test.
> Found that dlopen test is still crashing. I though this issue is
> already fixed, but not.
>
> Here are the results:
>
> ~/xenomai-3# cat .git/config
> url = https://git.xenomai.org/xenomai-3.git
>
> ~/xenomai-3# git branch
> * master
>
> ./configure --with-pic --with-core=cobalt --enable-smp --disable-tls
> --enable-dlopen-libs
> make
> make install
>
> :/usr/xenomai/bin# ./smokey --run
> arith OK
> bufp skipped (no kernel support)
> cpu_affinity OK
> fpu_stress OK
> iddp skipped (no kernel support)
> leaks OK
> memory_coreheap OK
> memory_heapmem OK
> memory_tlsf OK
> net_packet_dgram skipped (no kernel support)
> net_packet_raw skipped (no kernel support)
> net_udp skipped (no kernel support)
> posix_clock OK
> posix_cond OK
> posix_fork OK
> posix_mutex OK
> posix_select OK
> rtdm skipped (no kernel support)
> sched_quota skipped (no kernel support)
> sched_tp skipped (no kernel support)
> setsched OK
> sigdebug skipped (no kernel support)
> timerfd OK
> tsc OK
> vdso_access OK
> xddp skipped (no kernel support)
> Segmentation fault
> ./smokey: test dlopen failed: Unknown error -1
>
> ~/xenomai-3# /usr/xenomai/bin/dlopentest
> Segmentation fault
>
> So, basically, dlopentest results into Segmentation Fault on arm.
>
> Note:
> Disabling dlopen from "configure" does not cause this issue, and
> xeno-test/smokey test pass successfully.
> But I am wondering why dlopen test may fail on arm (on x86 it works).
>
> So, it some packages or configuration that I am missing on my Beagle Bone ?
> Can anybody describe the root cause (if already investigated earlier)...

Hi,

I am investigating this issue.
Currently I found that normal "dlopen" tests is working fine on Beagle Bone.
There is some crash happening in: my_dlopen()

Hopefully, I might be able to fix this issue and release a patch, in 2
weeks times.

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-11-28 12:09                                   ` Pintu Agarwal
From: Pintu Agarwal @ 2018-11-28 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Philippe Gerum, Greg Gallagher, Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,

What is the problem with "rt_queue_create" in the below code:

static size_t def_mem_pool_size = 1024 * 1024;
int libalchemy_func(void)
{
        RT_QUEUE queue;
        int ret=0;

        printf("%s called..\n", __func__);

 //       ret = rt_queue_create(&queue, "q0", def_mem_pool_size,
 //                     Q_UNLIMITED, Q_FIFO);
        if (ret) {
                printf("rt_queue_create - failed...\n");
                return ret;
        }
//      ret = rt_queue_delete(&queue);

        return ret;
}

xenomai-3/testsuite/smokey/dlopen# ./dlopentest
Segmentation fault

The dlopentest gives Segmentation Fault only if rt_queue_create is
invoked, else it works.
However, libposix-test.so works without any issue.

Any clue on this?

Thanks,
Pintu

@ 2018-12-04 13:41                                     ` Pintu Agarwal
From: Pintu Agarwal @ 2018-12-04 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Philippe Gerum, Greg Gallagher, Xenomai@xenomai.org

Dear Greg,

If you have any comments about dlopentest failure (both x86/arm)
please let me know.

Currently, we found that if we include "localmem=tlsf" option in
configure, the dlopen test is passing.
./configure --with-pic --with-core=cobalt --enable-smp
--enable-dlopen-libs --with-localmem=tlsf
make
make install
#testsuite/smokey/dlopen# ./dlopentest
done....

For this I have few questions:
1) What is this tlsf memory type ?
2) Where can I find some documentation about it ? How does it works?
3) Why dlopentest (with Xenomai lib/API) is working only with tlsf memory type?
4) How to make this test successful normally without any localmem?
5) Currently, if there is any issue with dlopen, please point me. I
can work on it....

Thanks,
Pintu