* [ANNOUNCE] Switching to git for primary Xen repositories
@ 2012-09-09 11:16 Keir Fraser
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Keir Fraser @ 2012-09-09 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Folks,

The Xen project has used mercurial for the primary repositories for many
years. However, with external projects (including Linux and qemu) using git,
this has led to us using and supporting two revision-control systems. Our
plan therefore, with the 4.2.0 release soon out of the way, is to switch to
git for all of our primary repositories. We will plan to mirror development
activity into the old mercurial repositories at least in the short term.

We will make a further announcement nearer to the time of the switchover.

 Regards,
 Keir & The Xen Team

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Switching to git for primary Xen repositories
@ 2012-09-14  9:12 ` Christoph Egger
From: Christoph Egger @ 2012-09-14  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel

For those who want to continue using mercurial there is an hg-git
extension that allows you to clone/pull/push from/to git repositories.
hg-git 0.3.3 works with mercurial 2.3.

Christoph

--
---to satisfy European Law for business letters:
Advanced Micro Devices GmbH

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Switching to git for primary Xen repositories
@ 2012-09-27 12:00 ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2012-09-27 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi everybody,
I am wondering whether it wouldn't be better to have a vote about this. At
least in this case, nobody will be able to complain in the future.
Regards
Lars

@ 2012-09-27 13:09   ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2012-09-27 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth; +Cc: xen-devel

That would be fine by me!

 -- Keir

@ 2012-09-27 13:50     ` Christoph Egger
From: Christoph Egger @ 2012-09-27 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On 09/27/12 15:09, Keir Fraser wrote:

> That would be fine by me!

For the vote to have a base for a better decision:
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GitConcepts#Command_equivalence_table

Christoph

@ 2012-09-28 17:16     ` Ian Jackson
From: Ian Jackson @ 2012-09-28 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel

Keir writes:
> Our plan therefore, with the 4.2.0 release soon out of the way, is
> to switch to git for all of our primary repositories. We will plan
> to mirror development activity into the old mercurial repositories
> at least in the short term.

So if we're having a vote on this, as discussed:

+1

Ian.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Switching to git for primary Xen repositories
@ 2012-09-29  5:04       ` Matt Wilson
From: Matt Wilson @ 2012-09-29  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Jackson; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Keir Fraser, xen-devel

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 06:16:41PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Keir writes:
> > Our plan therefore, with the 4.2.0 release soon out of the way, is
> > to switch to git for all of our primary repositories. We will plan
> > to mirror development activity into the old mercurial repositories
> > at least in the short term.
>
> So if we're having a vote on this, as discussed:
>
> +1

Enthusiastic +1

Matt

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Switching to git for primary Xen repositories
@ 2012-09-29  5:54         ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2012-09-29  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Wilson, Ian Jackson; +Cc: Lars Kurth, xen-devel

On 29/09/2012 06:04, "Matt Wilson" <msw@amazon.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 06:16:41PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> Keir writes:
>>> Our plan therefore, with the 4.2.0 release soon out of the way, is
>>> to switch to git for all of our primary repositories. We will plan
>>> to mirror development activity into the old mercurial repositories
>>> at least in the short term.
>>
>> So if we're having a vote on this, as discussed:
>>
>> +1
>
> Enthusiastic +1

+1

@ 2012-09-30 21:15           ` Ben Guthro
From: Ben Guthro @ 2012-09-30 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Ian Jackson, Matt Wilson, xen-devel

+1 here.

Having the SCM system consistent with the other 2 projects intimately tied
with Xen (linux, and qemu) has definite advantages.

@ 2012-10-01 14:25             ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2012-10-01 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Guthro; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Keir Fraser, Ian Jackson, Matt Wilson, xen-devel

+1.

I actually prefer mercurial personally, but it's pretty clear that a
large % of devs are already using git for xen development, using a
mirror; and that's just silly. :-)

 -George

@ 2012-10-02 14:15               ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2012-10-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap
  Cc: Lars Kurth, Ian Jackson, xen-devel, Keir Fraser, Ben Guthro, Matt Wilson

On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 15:25 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> +1.

+1

> I actually prefer mercurial personally, but it's pretty clear that a
> large % of devs are already using git for xen development, using a
> mirror; and that's just silly. :-)

I'm pretty comfortable with both git and hg but I've found myself using
the git mirror more frequently recently.

For committer type activities tools like git am and rebase -i etc are
far superior to the hg equivalents, at least with the Squeeze versions
of both tools.

Ian.

@ 2012-10-03  9:32 ` Thanos Makatos
From: Thanos Makatos @ 2012-10-03  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)