* vmx_disable_intercept_for_msr(v, MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE)
@ 2013-06-28 21:02 Cyclonus J
From: Cyclonus J @ 2013-06-28 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel; +Cc: keir.fraser

I am wondering if we can disable the VMX interception for
MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE as AMD is already doing that.

Any comments?

Thanks,
CJ

* Re: vmx_disable_intercept_for_msr(v, MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE)
@ 2013-07-01  9:38 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2013-07-01  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyclonus J; +Cc: xen-devel

>>> On 28.06.13 at 23:02, Cyclonus J <cyclonusj@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wondering if we can disable the VMX interception for
> MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE as AMD is already doing that.

I can't immediately see any reason why we shouldn't be permitted
to do this, but I also don't think this should be performance critical.

If you feel this is important, why don't you contribute a patch,
with its description saying under what conditions this can yield
measurable benefit?

Jan

* Re: vmx_disable_intercept_for_msr(v, MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE)
@ 2013-07-01  9:44   ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2013-07-01  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Cyclonus J, xen-devel

On 01/07/13 10:38, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> I am wondering if we can disable the VMX interception for
>> MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE as AMD is already doing that.
> I can't immediately see any reason why we shouldn't be permitted
> to do this, but I also don't think this should be performance critical.
>
> If you feel this is important, why don't you contribute a patch,
> with its description saying under what conditions this can yield
> measurable benefit?
>
> Jan

Will this not cause a VMexit on each swapgs instruction, as the
instruction itself does write to MSR 0xC0000102?

I have looked quite closely through the Intel manuals and cant find
confirmation one way or another.

~Andrew

* Re: vmx_disable_intercept_for_msr(v, MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE)
@ 2013-07-01  9:48     ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2013-07-01  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper; +Cc: Cyclonus J, xen-devel

>>> I am wondering if we can disable the VMX interception for
>>> MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE as AMD is already doing that.
>> I can't immediately see any reason why we shouldn't be permitted
>> to do this, but I also don't think this should be performance critical.
>>
>> If you feel this is important, why don't you contribute a patch,
>> with its description saying under what conditions this can yield
>> measurable benefit?
>
> Will this not cause a VMexit on each swapgs instruction, as the
> instruction itself does write to MSR 0xC0000102?

No - see the comments in vmx.c around the handling of that MSR.

Jan

* Re: vmx_disable_intercept_for_msr(v, MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE)
@ 2013-07-01  9:51     ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2013-07-01  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper, Jan Beulich; +Cc: Cyclonus J, xen-devel

On 01/07/2013 10:44, "Andrew Cooper" <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com> wrote:

>>> I am wondering if we can disable the VMX interception for
>>> MSR_SHADOW_GS_BASE as AMD is already doing that.
>> I can't immediately see any reason why we shouldn't be permitted
>> to do this, but I also don't think this should be performance critical.
>>
>> If you feel this is important, why don't you contribute a patch,
>> with its description saying under what conditions this can yield
>> measurable benefit?
>>
>> Jan
>
> Will this not cause a VMexit on each swapgs instruction, as the
> instruction itself does write to MSR 0xC0000102?
>
> I have looked quite closely through the Intel manuals and cant find
> confirmation one way or another.

Only RDMSR/WRMSR trap on the MSR bitmaps.

@ 2013-07-01 10:00       ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2013-07-01 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: Cyclonus J, Jan Beulich, xen-devel

On 01/07/13 10:51, Keir Fraser wrote:

>>> I can't immediately see any reason why we shouldn't be permitted
>>> to do this, but I also don't think this should be performance critical.
>>>
>>> If you feel this is important, why don't you contribute a patch,
>>> with its description saying under what conditions this can yield
>>> measurable benefit?
>>>
>>> Jan
>> Will this not cause a VMexit on each swapgs instruction, as the
>> instruction itself does write to MSR 0xC0000102?
>>
>> I have looked quite closely through the Intel manuals and cant find
>> confirmation one way or another.
> Only RDMSR/WRMSR trap on the MSR bitmaps.

Ok - so the performance aspect depends on whether the guest is using
per-thread kernel areas or not, in combination with swapgs.

I would have thought that this would be a sensible change to make at the
start of 4.4

~Andrew