* Public Kernel Development
@ 2017-11-29 11:16 Chris Obbard
From: Chris Obbard @ 2017-11-29 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi list,

Currently I am writing drivers for ARM boards (think along the lines of
Raspberry Pi HATs, it doesn't belong in mainline; as well as other various
hacks), which just consist of series of patches which I apply by checking
out Mainline and then applying the patches by hand.

Naturally, this is a bit of a hack... I want to have this as one repo on
Github (or the like) with a _lot_ of branches with my changes in.

This is what Git is made for, but what happens when Linus releases a new
version? How do I make my changes apply to the new tag?

Also, what happens if I want to pull from someone's -next repo, or pull in
other patches?

Maybe there is a tutorial somewhere that can help me. I am used to using
Git for small projects :-).

Cheers!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Public Kernel Development
@ 2017-12-01 19:40 ` valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2017-12-01 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 11:16:05 +0000, Chris Obbard said:

> Currently I am writing drivers for ARM boards (think along the lines of
> Raspberry Pi HATs, it doesn't belong in mainline;

Why not?  If you upstream your patches, you don't have to play the
"rebase every version" game.
The drivers I?m releasing probably don?t belong in the kernel

Cheers!

@ 2017-12-02  1:46     ` valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2017-12-02  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 20:21:36 +0000, Chris Obbard said:

> The drivers I???m releasing probably don???t belong in the kernel

Again:  Why are you saying that?  It wouldn't be the first time we
carried a driver for an uncommon device (heck, we carried an
entire *architecture* for several years for a legacy machine that
was down to 2-3 bootable machines for one person).

If you're building test/play hardware for yourself, they probably shouldn't
be in the kernel.  If the device is common enough that you're releasing
the driver to others, it should be in the kernel.
> On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 20:21:36 +0000, Chris Obbard said:
>
>> The drivers I???m releasing probably don???t belong in the kernel
>
> Again:  Why are you saying that?  It wouldn't be the first time we
> carried a driver for an uncommon device (heck, we carried an
> entire *architecture* for several years for a legacy machine that
> was down to 2-3 bootable machines for one person).

Really ? Which architecture was that (just curious) ?

> If you're building test/play hardware for yourself, they probably shouldn't
> be in the kernel.  If the device is common enough that you're releasing
> the driver to others, it should be in the kernel.

Mathieu

* Public Kernel Development
@ 2017-12-02  9:35         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-12-02  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 10:28:13AM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 2:46 AM,  <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 20:21:36 +0000, Chris Obbard said:
> >
> >> The drivers I???m releasing probably don???t belong in the kernel
> >
> > Again:  Why are you saying that?  It wouldn't be the first time we
> > carried a driver for an uncommon device (heck, we carried an
> > entire *architecture* for several years for a legacy machine that
> > was down to 2-3 bootable machines for one person).
>
> Really ? Which architecture was that (just curious) ?

voyager

One would argue that pa-risc is in the same boat right now as well :)