* [poky] Dunfell poky version
@ 2020-05-02 15:51 giannipinounavolta
From: giannipinounavolta @ 2020-05-02 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

Hi everyone,

last month the poky version Dunfell was released. How long does it take to
be a stable release?

thanks.

* Re: [poky] Dunfell poky version
@ 2020-05-03 13:27 ` Andrea Galbusera
From: Andrea Galbusera @ 2020-05-03 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: poky

Hi Gianni,

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 5:51 PM Gianni Pino <giannipinounavolta@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> last month the poky version Dunfell was released. How long does it take to be a stable release?

I was a little bit "away" from the list, but I'll try to answer your
question anyway, which led me the occasion to go through some email
backlog and to read updated wiki pages (see references below) on the
topic as well. Happy to be corrected by anyone here with more insight.

This is how it worked before Dunfell release, up to Zeus (3.0.x): the
yocto project released on an approximately six month schedule. Once
released, a new version entered the "stable" support level for 1-2
years. After this maintenance window expired, stable branches moved to
a "community backed" support level, before going EOL and fading out.
Even though the release frequency haven't changed, last fall the Yocto
Project decided for introducing a new "support level" for some of its
releases which is called "Long Term Stable" (LTS). "Stable" releases
are now maintained for a shorter period of time (7 months) before
moving to "community only" support. LTSs, instead, will receive
support for 2 years. There's a lot of commitment behind maintaining
releases and the Project wanted to better distribute the effort with
more emphasis on a less frequent, but longer supported selection of
releases. Dunfell (3.1) is the first one to be declared as LTS.

To answer your original question, "stable" and "long term stable" are
mutually exclusive and they specify how long a release will be
supported for (LTS being itself stable by definition). That said,
Dunfell will technically never be labeled as a "stable" release, since
it's already an LTS, but, of course, it is by no mean less stable
than, i.e. Zeus. So maybe you should be more interested in asking "for
how long will Dunfell be in LTS before moving into community"?
Moreover, if you have to choose a release to base a new project on (or
to migrate an existing one as well), beside being the latest (which
already should be your best bet), for the fact of being an LTS,
Dunfell will definitely be the one to pick.

I suggest you go through [1] and [2] for more details and maybe [3] as
well, if interested in historical perspective of how the LTS idea came
about.

[1] https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases
[2] https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Stable_Release_and_LTS
[3] https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/LTS_Background

Hope this helps clarifying releases plans and maintenance windows for
the project.
Regards

* Re: [poky] Dunfell poky version
@ 2020-05-03 13:37   ` Gianni Pino