* New experimental branch for Linaro Qualcomm Landing Team
@ 2019-07-09 10:41 Amit Kucheria
From: Amit Kucheria @ 2019-07-09 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info; +Cc: Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

Hi,

I'd like to request a new branch to be tracked by kernelci.org to
allow more experimental patches that could use much wider testing
across boards and architectures.

We currently use our 'integration' branch[1] for this but that causes
disruption for people who depend on this branch to keep working.

This experimental branch shouldn't see too many updates and would
likely only be used to get better testing for experimental series.
Would you be ok to pick up such a branch[2] into kernelci?

Regards,
Amit
[1] https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/kernel.git
integration-linux-qcomlt
[2] https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/kernel.git
integration-experimental

* Re: New experimental branch for Linaro Qualcomm Landing Team
@ 2019-07-09 10:57 ` Guillaume Tucker
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2019-07-09 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelci, amit.kucheria
  Cc: info, Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 11:52 AM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to request a new branch to be tracked by kernelci.org to
> allow more experimental patches that could use much wider testing
> across boards and architectures.
>
> We currently use our 'integration' branch[1] for this but that causes
> disruption for people who depend on this branch to keep working.
>
> This experimental branch shouldn't see too many updates and would
> likely only be used to get better testing for experimental series.
> Would you be ok to pick up such a branch[2] into kernelci?

The links you've provided don't seem to work, the page says
"No repositories found".

Generally speaking I would say it's fine, as long as these aren't
downstream branches but experimental patches that are based on
current mainline and intended to be merged upstream.

Guillaume

Regards,

@ 2019-07-09 11:09   ` Amit Kucheria
From: Amit Kucheria @ 2019-07-09 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker
  Cc: kernelci, info, Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 4:27 PM Guillaume Tucker
<guillaume.tucker@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 11:52 AM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to request a new branch to be tracked by kernelci.org to
>> allow more experimental patches that could use much wider testing
>> across boards and architectures.
>>
>> We currently use our 'integration' branch[1] for this but that causes
>> disruption for people who depend on this branch to keep working.
>>
>> This experimental branch shouldn't see too many updates and would
>> likely only be used to get better testing for experimental series.
>> Would you be ok to pick up such a branch[2] into kernelci?
>

> The links you've provided don't seem to work, the page says
> "No repositories found".

Curious. Either I missed a space between the URL and branch name or
gmail seems to have combined them in the link. Try
https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/kernel.git

> Generally speaking I would say it's fine, as long as these aren't
> downstream branches but experimental patches that are based on
> current mainline and intended to be merged upstream.

No, these will certainly be mainline-based branches.

Regards,
Amit

* Re: New experimental branch for Linaro Qualcomm Landing Team
@ 2019-07-09 13:01     ` Guillaume Tucker
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2019-07-09 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kucheria
  Cc: kernelci, info, Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 4:27 PM Guillaume Tucker
> <guillaume.tucker@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 11:52 AM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'd like to request a new branch to be tracked by kernelci.org to
> >> allow more experimental patches that could use much wider testing
> >> across boards and architectures.
> >>
> >> We currently use our 'integration' branch[1] for this but that causes
> >> disruption for people who depend on this branch to keep working.
> >>
> >> This experimental branch shouldn't see too many updates and would
> >> likely only be used to get better testing for experimental series.
> >> Would you be ok to pick up such a branch[2] into kernelci?
> >

> > The links you've provided don't seem to work, the page says
> > "No repositories found".
>
> Curious. Either I missed a space between the URL and branch name or
> gmail seems to have combined them in the link. Try
> https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/kernel.git

Oh I see, there was a space between the URL and the branch name.
Yeah I guess that got mangled somewhere, that link works for me.

> > Generally speaking I would say it's fine, as long as these aren't
> > downstream branches but experimental patches that are based on
> > current mainline and intended to be merged upstream.
>
> No, these will certainly be mainline-based branches.

Great, so yes these look like relevant branches to test on
kernelci.org.  Which configurations do you need to build?  The
full range means about 230 builds but if you only care about arm,
arm64 and x86_64 with just the defconfigs and maybe some qcom arm
defconfigs that should come down to a much smaller number.

Doing fewer builds means faster turnaround between when you push
a change and when you get the results, and makes it possible to
have more development trees for a given build capacity.

Best wishes,
Guillaume

* Re: New experimental branch for Linaro Qualcomm Landing Team
@ 2019-07-09 13:24       ` Amit Kucheria
From: Amit Kucheria @ 2019-07-09 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker
  Cc: kernelci, info, Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 6:32 PM Guillaume Tucker
<guillaume.tucker@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 4:27 PM Guillaume Tucker
>> <guillaume.tucker@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > The links you've provided don't seem to work, the page says
>> > "No repositories found".
>>
>> Curious. Either I missed a space between the URL and branch name or
>> gmail seems to have combined them in the link. Try
>> https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/kernel.git
>

> Oh I see, there was a space between the URL and the branch name.
> Yeah I guess that got mangled somewhere, that link works for me.
>

>> > Generally speaking I would say it's fine, as long as these aren't
>> > downstream branches but experimental patches that are based on
>> > current mainline and intended to be merged upstream.
>>
>> No, these will certainly be mainline-based branches.
>

> Great, so yes these look like relevant branches to test on
> kernelci.org.  Which configurations do you need to build?  The
> full range means about 230 builds but if you only care about arm,
> arm64 and x86_64 with just the defconfigs and maybe some qcom arm
> defconfigs that should come down to a much smaller number.
>
> Doing fewer builds means faster turnaround between when you push
> a change and when you get the results, and makes it possible to
> have more development trees for a given build capacity.

As mentioned earlier, I expect this branch to be used occassionally.
IOW, we won't use it in an automated merge + CI loop. We want to use
it to test instrusive features that might break on other
platforms/architectures/configuration.

So if it isn't too a huge stress on resources, I'd prefer this branch
to be exposed to the full range of kernelci builds and boot testing.

Thanks.

Regards,
Amit

* Re: New experimental branch for Linaro Qualcomm Landing Team
@ 2019-07-10 10:55         ` Guillaume Tucker
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2019-07-10 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kucheria
  Cc: kernelci, info, Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 2:24 PM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 6:32 PM Guillaume Tucker
> <guillaume.tucker@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>
> wrote:

Ah sorry I missed the fact that the integration-linux-qcomlt
branch was already built and tested on kernelci.org:

  https://kernelci.org/job/qcom-lt/branch/integration-linux-qcomlt/

and it seems to be updated roughly once a week.

> >> Curious. Either I missed a space between the URL and branch name or
> >> gmail seems to have combined them in the link. Try
> >> https://git.linaro.org/landing-teams/working/qualcomm/kernel.git
> >

> > Oh I see, there was a space between the URL and the branch name.
> > Yeah I guess that got mangled somewhere, that link works for me.

> >> No, these will certainly be mainline-based branches.
> >

> > Great, so yes these look like relevant branches to test on
> > kernelci.org.  Which configurations do you need to build?  The
> > full range means about 230 builds but if you only care about arm,
> > arm64 and x86_64 with just the defconfigs and maybe some qcom arm
> > defconfigs that should come down to a much smaller number.
> >
> > Doing fewer builds means faster turnaround between when you push
> > a change and when you get the results, and makes it possible to
> > have more development trees for a given build capacity.
>
> As mentioned earlier, I expect this branch to be used occassionally.
> IOW, we won't use it in an automated merge + CI loop. We want to use
> it to test instrusive features that might break on other
> platforms/architectures/configuration.
>
> So if it isn't too a huge stress on resources, I'd prefer this branch
> to be exposed to the full range of kernelci builds and boot testing.

Right, this was mentioned during the weekly meeting yesterday and
yes we can add it on the basis that it doesn't get updated very
often.

For developer trees like this one, I think the amount of builds
should be kept to a lower number than the main trees such as
mainline, next, stable, maintainers...  So if it's important to
build all the defconfigs, there should be a limit on how often it
gets built.  We don't have the ability to regulate this at the
moment, so please avoid pushing to these branches more than once
a week and it'll be fine.

I've made a PR to add this branch:

  https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/pull/119

Best wishes,
Guillaume

* Re: New experimental branch for Linaro Qualcomm Landing Team
@ 2019-07-10 11:31           ` Amit Kucheria
From: Amit Kucheria @ 2019-07-10 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker
  Cc: kernelci, info, Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 4:25 PM Guillaume Tucker
<guillaume.tucker@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 2:24 PM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 6:32 PM Guillaume Tucker
>> <guillaume.tucker@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah sorry I missed the fact that the integration-linux-qcomlt
> branch was already built and tested on kernelci.org:
>
>   https://kernelci.org/job/qcom-lt/branch/integration-linux-qcomlt/
>
> and it seems to be updated roughly once a week.

>> > Oh I see, there was a space between the URL and the branch name.
>> > Yeah I guess that got mangled somewhere, that link works for me.

>> > Great, so yes these look like relevant branches to test on
>> > kernelci.org.  Which configurations do you need to build?  The
>> > full range means about 230 builds but if you only care about arm,
>> > arm64 and x86_64 with just the defconfigs and maybe some qcom arm
>> > defconfigs that should come down to a much smaller number.
>> >
>> > Doing fewer builds means faster turnaround between when you push
>> > a change and when you get the results, and makes it possible to
>> > have more development trees for a given build capacity.
>>
>> As mentioned earlier, I expect this branch to be used occassionally.
>> IOW, we won't use it in an automated merge + CI loop. We want to use
>> it to test instrusive features that might break on other
>> platforms/architectures/configuration.
>>
>> So if it isn't too a huge stress on resources, I'd prefer this branch
>> to be exposed to the full range of kernelci builds and boot testing.
>

> Right, this was mentioned during the weekly meeting yesterday and
> yes we can add it on the basis that it doesn't get updated very
> often.
>
> For developer trees like this one, I think the amount of builds
> should be kept to a lower number than the main trees such as
> mainline, next, stable, maintainers...  So if it's important to
> build all the defconfigs, there should be a limit on how often it
> gets built.  We don't have the ability to regulate this at the
> moment, so please avoid pushing to these branches more than once
> a week and it'll be fine.
>
> I've made a PR to add this branch:
>
>   https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/pull/119

Thanks Guillame.

I will let the rest of the team know about using this branch only to
test potentially unstable changes that would benefit from wider
testing.

Regards,
Amit

* Re: New experimental branch for Linaro Qualcomm Landing Team
@ 2019-07-12 15:49           ` Amit Kucheria
From: Amit Kucheria @ 2019-07-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker
  Cc: kernelci, info, Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

On Wed, 10 Jul, 2019, 16:25 Guillaume Tucker, <guillaume.tucker@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 2:24 PM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 6:32 PM Guillaume Tucker
>> <guillaume.tucker@gmail.com> wrote:

>> causes
>>

> Ah sorry I missed the fact that the integration-linux-qcomlt
> branch was already built and tested on kernelci.org:
>
>   https://kernelci.org/job/qcom-lt/branch/integration-linux-qcomlt/
>
> and it seems to be updated roughly once a week.

>> > Oh I see, there was a space between the URL and the branch name.
>> > Yeah I guess that got mangled somewhere, that link works for me.

>> > Great, so yes these look like relevant branches to test on
>> > kernelci.org.  Which configurations do you need to build?  The
>> > full range means about 230 builds but if you only care about arm,
>> > arm64 and x86_64 with just the defconfigs and maybe some qcom arm
>> > defconfigs that should come down to a much smaller number.
>> >
>> > Doing fewer builds means faster turnaround between when you push
>> > a change and when you get the results, and makes it possible to
>> > have more development trees for a given build capacity.
>>
>> As mentioned earlier, I expect this branch to be used occassionally.
>> IOW, we won't use it in an automated merge + CI loop. We want to use
>> it to test instrusive features that might break on other
>> platforms/architectures/configuration.
>>
>> So if it isn't too a huge stress on resources, I'd prefer this branch
>> to be exposed to the full range of kernelci builds and boot testing.
>>

> Right, this was mentioned during the weekly meeting yesterday and
> yes we can add it on the basis that it doesn't get updated very
> often.
>
> For developer trees like this one, I think the amount of builds
> should be kept to a lower number than the main trees such as
> mainline, next, stable, maintainers...  So if it's important to
> build all the defconfigs, there should be a limit on how often it
> gets built.  We don't have the ability to regulate this at the
> moment, so please avoid pushing to these branches more than once
> a week and it'll be fine.
>
> I've made a PR to add this branch:
>
>   https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/pull/119

I noticed this pull request was merged. How long before this becomes
active? And who will get notifications?

* Re: New experimental branch for Linaro Qualcomm Landing Team
@ 2019-07-12 18:50             ` Guillaume Tucker
From: Guillaume Tucker @ 2019-07-12 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Kucheria
  Cc: kernelci, info, Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 4:50 PM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul, 2019, 16:25 Guillaume Tucker, <guillaume.tucker@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 2:24 PM Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>
>> wrote:

>>> causes
>>>

>> Ah sorry I missed the fact that the integration-linux-qcomlt
>> branch was already built and tested on kernelci.org:
>>
>>   https://kernelci.org/job/qcom-lt/branch/integration-linux-qcomlt/
>>
>> and it seems to be updated roughly once a week.

>>> As mentioned earlier, I expect this branch to be used occassionally.
>>> IOW, we won't use it in an automated merge + CI loop. We want to use
>>> it to test instrusive features that might break on other
>>> platforms/architectures/configuration.
>>>
>>> So if it isn't too a huge stress on resources, I'd prefer this branch
>>> to be exposed to the full range of kernelci builds and boot testing.
>>>

>> Right, this was mentioned during the weekly meeting yesterday and
>> yes we can add it on the basis that it doesn't get updated very
>> often.
>>
>> For developer trees like this one, I think the amount of builds
>> should be kept to a lower number than the main trees such as
>> mainline, next, stable, maintainers...  So if it's important to
>> build all the defconfigs, there should be a limit on how often it
>> gets built.  We don't have the ability to regulate this at the
>> moment, so please avoid pushing to these branches more than once
>> a week and it'll be fine.
>>
>> I've made a PR to add this branch:
>>
>>   https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/pull/119
>>

> I noticed this pull request was merged. How long before this becomes
> active? And who will get notifications?

It was deployed in production today, I've just sent the notes on
the mailing list.

Recipients are defined here:

https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/blob/master/jenkins/kernel-arch-complete.sh#L106

Essentially, that's "qcomlt-patches@lists.linaro.org"

You should get the first report in a few hours, once the builds
have caught up with the backlog.

Guillaume

* Re: New experimental branch for Linaro Qualcomm Landing Team
@ 2019-07-13  3:56               ` Amit Kucheria
From: Amit Kucheria @ 2019-07-13  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Tucker
  Cc: kernelci, info, Kevin Hilman, Bjorn Andersson, Nicolas Dechesne

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 12:20 AM Guillaume Tucker

Got them, thanks.